Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The duck stamp rukus out west

Default The duck stamp rukus out west

A phony letter has been going around out west on the YK Delta about duck stamp enforcement this spring/summer.

A pretty defining issue....

We all complain and whine about increased taxes, increased fees on this or that, and other increases to costs for things that we like to do, or must do. Mostly, because we see large abuses/mismanagement of the new revenues by local and Federal Gov agencies, and by and large, hate seeing our tax fund lifestyles for people who fail to contribute to society (willingly). The duck stamp however, is something that just about every waterfowler I've met gladly (or at least doesn't whine about doing so) pays for every season. Why?, because in some way (management, enforcement, enhancements, aquisition of habitat etc) the funding from the duck stamp goes to improve and help perpetuate waterfowl populations, and therefor, our passion for waterfowl hunting. I cant think of too many other "taxes" that a specific user group pays for with as much willingness. Why is it that some folks in these areas (not all, I know of many who do buy duckstamps) are putting up such a fight to pay for something that will do nothing but help waterfowl? I dont get it. I think this issue in itself, sort of defines the whole belief of entitlement and is at the root of our urban versus rural fighting.

It's pretty frustrating to see a group of people putting up such a fight against paying $15 once a year. It'll be more frustrating to see our congressional delegation caving in to these claims of hardship and inadequacy. WE are all supposed to be bound by a single set of rules, I'd sure like to see that actually work.

I don't understand how 15 dollars is too much to ask to help fund waterfowl habitat. If you are using the resourse shouldn't you put something back into it. Duck stamps have been around for a very long time, and they have done a lot of good with the money they get out of them, and it's not very much money they are asking for. I just don't understand how this is putting a hardship on people.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Sadly, this duck stamp issue has nothing to do with taxes or hardship. It has all to do with entitlement due to race. There is a concerted effort to allow one group to have special privileges over everyone else.

The Tier II caribou subsistence thing is similar. It goes like this: My father did this so I get to cut to the front of the line and have the first opportunity. If there is anything left when I am done then maybe, just maybe we will let you join in, but only after I have taken my fill.

Senators Begich and Murkowski have already sponsored legislation to remove the duck stamp requirement for subsistence users. Legislated inequality.

Sadly, not only will the subsistence duck shooter and egg gatherer get his special privilege, he will finish his job of pushing several Eider species to extinction.

Eider omelet anyone? They are getting rare.

Cook Inlet used to be filled with Beluga whales. I'd see them all the time when I boated to the Susitna Flats. I would see lots of whales. I also saw lots of subsistence hunters with rifles.

Now Cook Inlet Belugas are nearing extinction.

Who blew the whistle on the decline of the Belugas? Who blew the whistle on the decline of the Eiders? It wasn't the subsistence (ab)user.

Like the Federal budget deficit, I don't expect any change until it is too late.

There is no racial preference or entitlement.
    Anybody that is a resadent of the state can hunt waterfowl.
    Anybody, regardless of race, can subsistance hunt waterfowl.
    According to the State, anybody can subsistance hunt them, according to the Feds, Rual folks can subsistance hunt them. The State/Fed fight is way old.

The problem is that The State mandates and enforces that all waterfowl hunters buy (or free for low income) a State bird hunting stamp and a Federal hunting stamp.

Then they do not sell them.

Manytimes Ive tryed to buy one here, in Noorvik, but we have to go to Kotzebue to get them. I bought one for myself there, in the ADFnG office, but they wouldnt sell me one for my wife.

There is a local tag and bag 'em state sealer, here in this village........ but not for sealing Bears or selling state stamps. (Odd aint it?)
    its 240$ R/T if I fly down to buy one, or a 4 hour boat ride on a perfect day.

Will they send them ? No.

Can I buy online? Yes, with a bank account and a computer, but most people I know dont bank as there are none here, and fewer own a computer.

So to be mandated to buy and possess, but yet the same folks that require them, but dont sell them to you, most certainly will fine your ass and confenscate your guns and gear.
    If you make a living hunting, like I do, thats alot to lose.

My wife works PT at the Post office and made sure there were fed ones ready to sell this spring, but that isnt always so, either.

That, there, is the problem.

I rather enjoy buying a bit of heaven or a corn feild for the birds I hunt, and I dont know anyone who is against it, personally, its a matter of getting them sold to us so we can be legal.

If the State creates the problem, I too stand in protest.
    Rather than ***** about the cost or hardship, I blame the State for a true political SNAFU.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I dont believe this is about racial inequality, well at least not on the surface, with regard to all this urban vs rural thing. I do think we have a problem with the thought that certain people are entitled to certain benefits because they choose to live somewhere or choose to work or not work, but like you said, that's been beat to death and there isn't anyone on this forum thats going to fix it.

As for the duck stamp requirement however. While I do think a certain amount of the small communtities out in the areas involved in the subsistence hunt have a problem with availability, its only one of the reasons cited for putting in for an exemption. Hardship, customary practices.......were other reasons that just dont sit right. I would agree with you, if the State/Feds required me to buy a stamp for this new thing, but did not provide an outlet for me to buy, at the same time threatening me with penalties if I didn't buy the new thing, I'd have a problem with all of this. If your gonna require me to have it, you better make it available to me. I dont have a problem with this being the reason not to buy. But many of the villages I've been to, some small, some medium, some large, seem to have post offices, AC stores, other stores and government building that either have or can have the means to distribute, so I'm thinking that non availability is not that large of a problem, or can be fixed.

Like I said in my first post. This is not about availability. This comes down to a very basic concept. Those that think that they have some special entitlement because of where they live, religion, ethnicity, age, having two thumbs, or whatever and those that dont. There is supposed to be one set of rules and standards, but there isn't. We all know that and deal with it. But for something like this, a $15 duck stamp which goes for enhancement and perpetuation of waterfowl/habitat, is the epitome of an entitlement ideology gone wrong. It becomes what one really smart guy called a "land ethic" problem. The land ethic had some pretty basic rules "obey the law, vote right, join some organizations and practice what conservation is profitable on your own land; the government will do the rest." We've become takers, and dont put back into the system for the most part. A duck stamp helps us balance that in ( so be it, small ) some way with regard to waterfowl. Its why many duck hunters are members of DU, Delta Waterfowl, or volunteer etc.....to contribute in an effort to perpetuate something thats in our blood so that my kid, and my kids kid can enjoy it as much as I do. Refusal to buy a stamp sort of illustrates to me, that some are not interested in anything but taking and greed. Like bobshem said, this is the reason we see populations destroyed and is the reason that we will continue to see game and fish populations decimated.

Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    It's pretty frustrating to see a group of people putting up such a fight against paying $15 once a year. It'll be more frustrating to see our congressional delegation caving in to these claims of hardship and inadequacy. WE are all supposed to be bound by a single set of rules, I'd sure like to see that actually work.
    Amen brother...amen! It would work...I'd more like to see it actually happen. And like you said in your most recent post...most if not all villages have some sort of Post Office. So that argument doesn't hold water. It's pure entitlement claimed by certain groups (using availability, cost, etc., as an argument). I state "certain groups" because I understand not all rural folks are on the dole.
    Stranger...concerning the State stamp, I agree, they're typically not available...in stamp form anyway. I've been buying one for 20 years don't remember actually receiving one (I may have just don't remember). They are available online and printout the receipt as the stamp. As far as the Federal stamp...I've had to go to a couple different places at times to find one (stores not the PO). So that could be a problem where your choices are limited. But I would think the PO could stock a sufficient number for it's residents? Or at least, like they do with the state stamp...issue a receipt until the stamps arrive. I know you can't control what the PO does, but an idea.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Is there some way a guy can request the stamps at the post office, or at least order them. It seems to me that would be a simple solution. Order them from the post office, and have them show up on thier next shipment.

Is equal justice, for everyone? or are some more equal than others?
    Tim

Most all responsible hunters are licensed and stamped. We can buy a license here in the village, and most all villages can get one and do.
    They just DO NOt sell State Bird stamps

"Amen brother...amen! It would work...I'd more like to see it actually happen. And like you said in your most recent post...most if not all villages have some sort of Post Office. So that argument doesn't hold water".

Actually AKDUX, Id like to see it happen too.

The problem??? Its that the Post office does not sell State of Alaska Bird hunting stamps, they sell the Fed ones. Never have, never will.
    You must have both, and I would LOVE to buy them both at the same time, same place.
    They dont issue a Fed stamp untill August, because in most other states do not have a Spring hunting hunt. My wife works at the PO and makes the requests, has enquired about State stamps and so I know we have current Fed ones, and we do NOT have State ones.
    The solution has been to carry last years stamp in the Spring, even though the Feds say its expired. I also buy State stamps when at ADFnG in Kotz.They wouldnt sell me more than one, so my wife has no State stamp.
    I dont know "WHY" but they DO NOT sell them around here, even the ADFnG tag guy has none to sell, so availability is NONE. Availability IS the issue, the only issue to most.
    I and most other hunters I know want to contribute to what we hunt, we are usually silent and unknoticed, its the lazy non hunting lackards that pleed anything other than nonavailability.
    There is an AC store in Kotzebue, but none in the 11 surrounding villages.
    A good hunter always finds a way to get what they are after, but this is the problem; Mandate that we have them, yet not issue them, even when the venue is there in the village. It's on the brink of "STUPID" on the part of thoes who Issue them.

If the State got its collective bird stamp selling butt together, there would be no problem.

Any other reason not to have them presented here is just nonissue. Make 'em available and there will be no problem, only for those who think life is "Free" so they dont buy the stamp should get to pay the ticket!! ~~LOL!!~~
    Why do news papers always find some pitty grubbing sympathy sucking idiot to represent Bush Alaskans???? .

You can buy them over the internet, is there a village that isn't connected? Is there a village that doesn't have a person to order them for the people that need them? If they can take a wood stove in Fairbanks I think Barrow can find a way to buy a stamp.
    Tim

Im sure ALL the villages have internet service, like the one Im in. Theres about 10 private computers in this town of 700 people
    I certainly do NOT let people use my computer , would you? Takes a bank card to do so over the internet.
    Theres no bank here and I dont use a bank myself, so getting an adress and sending $$ to the old snail way is what go's now.People without computers and no bank account are the vast majority around here.

Then theres the "IF" factor.......as in "IF" they will send them to you.

I had cash $$ in Kotzebue for 50 State Stamps, if I so needed, but they wouldnt even sell me 2, as I told them I needed one for my wife, and that IS a problem.

Why must I go to Kotzebue to tag a Bear?
    Why do they give out Muskox ticketts in Kotzebue, which has more than 1/2 the population in GMUnit23 and is NOT on the northern seward Pennensula, for a Northern Seward Pennesula hunt, and yet wont send me one, Im in the same game unit, but insist I pick them up in Deering/Buckland, where the hunt is held, or Kotzebue where the hunt is NOT held, but...
    I would figure that if were in the same GMUnit, they would send me one, becasue they make them available to 4,000 people who are just as far from the Ox'n hunting area as I......?????

Cant just jump in the truck and go.

Why does FnG have license sellers here in the village and they DO NOT sell the required State Stamps???? You would think that the FnG would have their people selling them, but obviously this is not just happening in Noorvik, its happeneing in every village in Alaska.

The problem is FnG, all over the Bush.

You're wasting your breath attempting to convince the Urbanite. They live in their own little world. You have better things to do with your time.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I can understand that Stranger. If the stamps aren't available, it sounds like the state needs to find a way to get the stamps to the villages. I still feel we should all have to carry the stamps, but if you can't get one out in the bush, it sounds like the state needs to work out a better way to get them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Most all responsible hunters are licensed and stamped. We can buy a license here in the village, and most all villages can get one and do.
    They just DO NOt sell State Bird stamps
    That's just plain dumb on F&G's part. If you need one more "urbanite" to join the cause against this then sign me up.

Thanks for posting the point of view that so few in the world are able to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    You're wasting your breath attempting to convince the Urbanite. They live in their own little world. You have better things to do with your time.
    Love the constructive attitude.

Stranger - as an "urbanite", I guess, I have the same problem with the State Duck Stamp. Availability, even in Anchorage sucks at best. Same problems exist, late issue, poor availability, inadequate supply.........I've had a hard time finding them in stores, and usually begin my search as soon as they come out. I've had to go to 4 or 5 locations at times to find them. I think that crosses the border of stupid, clearly into stupid territory.

"Why do news papers always find some pitty grubbing sympathy sucking idiot to represent Bush Alaskans???? " -- for the same reason they pick some idiot to represent all those that live on the roaded system......They like drama and want to paint the picture that we're all extremely polarized on just about all issues....That would be true for those fringe people that represent about 10% on both sides. The rest of us are all about the same, same values, same basic beliefs.......at least thats what I've found from experience.

Stranger, the reason they would not sell you one for your wife is the hunter information program (HIP).

When you buy a state stamp you have to fill out a card telling how many birds you took and how many days you hunted. Very basic info for the biologists to use to determine hunting pressure so that their predictive models have as accurate a human mortality number as possible. They are not supposed to let one person fill in the info card for another hunter so they won't let you buy one for your wife. However, that is just silly for a remote area where travel is always complicated.

My issue is that these stamps are also collected and a collector does not have to fill out a HIP card. I think. Maybe wrong on that and they just say "i didn't hunt" and move on.

You can always say you are buying two stamps. One for your hunting and one for collecting that won't be signed. Nothing wrong with that.

I am with Dallen on the issue of stamp availbility in ubran centers. Now I only go to Sportsman's or to Mountain View Sports for my license or tags. Other license vendors just suck. Mountain View stopped selling the federal stamps a few years ago, but Sportsmans still carries them.

I usually get my stamps at sportsmans as well, except last year, it seemed the only place that carried the federal stamp was the post office, until after the start of the season.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nitroman
    Quote Originally Posted by DAllen View Post
    Love the constructive attitude.
    You are welcome, and thank you sir. At least you understand there is a point where one must walk away as nothing constructive will ever be achieved.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

No comment, Nitroman spoke well enough, same with stranger. . .
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast