Thread: Handy 8 plait to chain back splice alternative

Default Handy 8 plait to chain back splice alternative

My 8 plait rode to chain back splice has problems going through the windlass, I googled for an alternative and found this:

http://www.sw-marine.co.uk/acatalog/...in_Splice.html

The splice is wound through many links of chain and is a LOT thinner. I havent tried it yet, but it looks good and I thought I'd pass it along. It also looks a lot easier to do than a back splice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Since you're running through a windlass, you might need to pull a few of your eight strands back into a conventional weave into the line. Some windlass gypsys don't like all eight strands bound into the chain links. Give it a shot with all eight, and if it binds up, redo it with six. Still binding? Try four. It's all about finding the right balance between a "stuffed" chain and a full rope splice.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Its not that its binding, is that the bulge of the splice I have now is too big to get grabbed and pushed down through, it just "hops" back and forth and doesnt go anywhere right where the gypsy wants to grab it.

I tried loosening up the gypsy a bit but it didnt help - and I dont want to loosen it up more because the rode might start to slip.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"