Thread: C.O.A.L. consistancy

Default C.O.A.L. consistancy

I'm having trouble getting the loaded COAL to be consistant from one cartridge to the next. I follow the RCBS directions to a "T" when setting up the seating die but can't get the same measurement after seating a bullet. I have been getting differences of up to .020. I took the die apart and cleaned it, I ensured the lock nut is snug, I apply the same amount of force to the press handle everytime, and still can't get any type of consistancy.

Any ideas?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default IF, you're measuring to the bullet tip.

The bullet tips get bunged up. A Lot, when they are exposed lead.

It's not bad with protected tip bullets, or with those that have the plastic tips.

Measuring to somewhere on the ogive should give you a more consistant measurement.

Your loads should be consistent in where/when the bullet contacts the lands.

As for using a Comparator, I like the Sinclair Nut, type, available from Sinclair.

I would avoid the Stoney Point-Now Hornady, OAL length tools and related. While the idea is sound, in practice I found them difficult to impossible, to get consistent information.

Bullets aren't all the same length, even to the bore diameter of the ogive, BUT I shouldn't think there would be a .020 difference, if it wasn't due tip damage.

If you're already measuring to the Ogive, I'll just sit back and see what other people have to say about the causes of inconsistent bullet seating.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I would avoid the Stoney Point-Now Hornady, OAL length tools and related. While the idea is sound, in practice I found them difficult to impossible, to get consistent information.

Smitty of the North
    Sure wish I was near by Smitty. I could give you about 5 minutes of my time and just might be able to change your mind. They are the easiest measuring tools I have ever used. Very consistent, I can't imagine what part of their use is giving you issues.

Good advice above - use a comparator - will result in much more consistent results. I also use the Stoney Point OAL tool. I have found that it can be a bit temperamental but overall the end result is worth pursuing. It is essential that the cartridge case be completely bottomed out in the chamber and that the bullet be seated with the as much as possible the same force every time. Nevertheless, I take multiple measurements until I get 3 or 4 that are in very close agreement before accepting a COAL. As a side note, be aware that there are ofter subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) differences in bullets between different boxes of bullets. Lastly I have found Redding dies to be more reliable and to give much more repeatable values when checking the COAL of loaded rounds.