Thread: Ideas for keeping rockfish off my halibut hooks

Default Ideas for keeping rockfish off my halibut hooks

Last weekend I went out halibut fishing, it turned into rockfish and red snapper fishing because we couldnt keep them off the blasted halibut hooks.

At least the snapper were tasty...

I've tried big circle hooks that I thought would be too big for them, the rockfish ate them anyway.
    I tried keeping it 2-6 feet off the bottom, they hit it anyway.
    I tried fishing in the level sand/mud spots a little bit away from the rock piles, they chased after it anyway.

The typical halibut rig I use is a spreader bar with a 1-3lb weight on the bottom and a 650 net cord leader going to a circle hook. Basically a standard halibut rig.

For fun I might put a tampon soaked in herring oil and a light on the spreader bar now and then.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    For fun I might put a tampon soaked in herring oil and a light on the spreader bar now and then.
    Try a used tampon ;-), if that doesn't keep the rockfish away try a salmon head, pretty rare for me to bring up anything less then a 30-40lbs. halibut on salmon heads.

yep, larger bait.
    Boatless

How about a big jig

Put a whole herring on. One of the big 12-15" long horse herring. Maybe try a different spot too?? Generally if there are some Halibut around the rockfish are pretty leery about coming out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    How about a big jig

Ooooo, nice jigs, where'd you get them?

I'll try larger bait, great tip about if there are halibut the rockfish will tend to stay away, that lets me know I need to move.

Thanks!
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

There a new 12" shad that boneyard bait came out with this year, B&J carries them. I rigged them up with 16 and 24 oz leadheads, and put the stinger hook on w/ 300# mono.

I've got more 24 oz heads than I need, so send me a pm if you're interested.

Find a spot that isn't so rocky
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Alaska doesn't have any red snapper. However we do have yellow eye rock rish

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Find a spot that isn't so rocky
    Yeah. If you are having problems with rockfish, anchor up on a flat bottom that is void of rockfish. The halibut will come to your bait via your scent trail, the rockfish don't travel like a halibut. I've had yellow eye and ling show up after a good soak, but never a lil rockfish.

Sorry for moving this thread a little off direction. Hey "Paul H", do you paint those yourself. What about the "eyes". They look good.

I bought the leadheads, I'm too lazy to paint and dress up my jigs and use them as cast.

I can't say the painted heads necesarily have an advantage. My son was out catching me on cod w/ a plain jane 8oz lead head and a white/black boneyard grub last week in K-bay.

Default spot

If'n you tell me where that spot is I can perform some biological reduction of them pesky rockfish.......

(actually, my boat won't probably go that far out anyway.....)

There a new 12" shad that boneyard bait came out with this year, B&J carries them. I rigged them up with 16 and 24 oz leadheads, and put the stinger hook on w/ 300# mono.

I've got more 24 oz heads than I need, so send me a pm if you're interested.
    Paul how did you rig those 12" shads with 2 hooks?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Those copper rockfish...

don't need rocks, they are everywhere. Usually the yelloweye and lings hang around the rocks, but even they are sometimes on flat bottoms hundreds of yards from the nearest rocks...

When we fish a salmon head, we spit it down the middle, two pieces with an eye on each...seem to work better split, and a pink is best over a silver, for some reason...

I don't know about the halibut scaring off the rockfish, but maybe there are never that many halibut around where we fish, at one time.

Those little <10 inch rockfish are actually "Alaskan Snotwad"

Default Pieces of salmon

I double up my bait with salmon, Salted Herring and Salmon. That way if the rockfish attack the herring I've got a strip of salmon yet for the Halibut. Of course I'm reeling in plenty of rockfish but at least I've got an active bait at all times. Ditto on the heads split down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Paul how did you rig those 12" shads with 2 hooks?
    I crimp 300# mono onto a 12/0 hook and run a piece of piano wire with a loop in it through the shad then pull the mono out. After putting the jig onto the shad, I crimp the 300# mono through the jig eye.

A tip I picked up at B&J is to heat up a screwdriver or 1/4" rod with a torch to melt a channel into the shad or grub body. It keeps the rubber from tearing and makes it easier to rig.

I`ve had Yelloweyes pick up the 12" rigged shad....guess the best option is to move unless you have a rig to send them back down without killing them.

I crimp 300# mono onto a 12/0 hook and run a piece of piano wire with a loop in it through the shad then pull the mono out. After putting the jig onto the shad, I crimp the 300# mono through the jig eye.

A tip I picked up at B&J is to heat up a screwdriver or 1/4" rod with a torch to melt a channel into the shad or grub body. It keeps the rubber from tearing and makes it easier to rig.
    I heard that very same tip from B&J and it works fantastic. Thanks for the advice on how to rig it, I'm going to give it a try.

Default Same Fish

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Alaska doesn't have any red snapper. However we do have yellow eye rock rish
    Just a different name. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...rockfishID.pdf
    Easy ID Chart from Fish & Game.

Alaska DOES have Red Snapper.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1