Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Pot Clips, lost a 2 pots

Default Shrimp Pot Clips, lost a 2 pots

Not sure what the exact name is but I use those clips to attach my pots to my line and the very last pot is tied in. This last trip when picking up the pots the line was going tight as if the pot was caught up on something, then a few seconds later the line loosened a bit. What happened was one of the pots came off and I lost it. Now I didn't need to pull all that hard (I use the ACE Hauler), so I'm concerned that maybe those clips are not the way to go and are not strong enough. Last year I lost one also, but it was stuck much worse and I had to actually tie the rope off to the front anchor cleat to get the line/pots free.

I thought also, on the positive side, that at least the clip gave away and I didn't lose the whole thing. So I don't know.

Also, I use 600 feet of leaded line and put floating line between the pots. I do notice that about 50 or more of the leaded line has mud all over it usually. I typically try to set 450 feet or so. Should I be using more floating line toward the last 100-200 feet of my line?

So my pots got stollen by the big sea... I can't blame the commercial guys or thieves on this one

Were you clipping the pots directly to your ground line? If so, I suspect that is the problem and your pots will eventually twist off if hung. I use the clips, but was taught to tie a loop of gangion (sp?) line through the strands of the ground line. This prevents the clip from twisting off the main line. I have hung up several times and have yet to have once twist off.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You must be talking about those longline/halibut snaps. I've been telling folks to stay away from them for years just tie in a dropper line to your main line and either tie your pot on to the dropper(with a sheet bend) or try using one of my toggles for easy on/off of the pot from the dropper line. I can't go into it too deeply here or i'll get dinged for advertising.
    TOGGLE close up.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Clips

I have been using them for nine years with good results. You need a way for a pot to rip off if hung up. If not, you could loose your whole string. I have been able to tie the line to a cleat and pull with the boat to free pots and have never had a clip fail.

Are you using the right size clip for the correct line? Most clips sold are for 1/4" - 5/16" line.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default just clip it on

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Were you clipping the pots directly to your ground line? If so, I suspect that is the problem and your pots will eventually twist off if hung. I use the clips, but was taught to tie a loop of gangion (sp?) line through the strands of the ground line. This prevents the clip from twisting off the main line. I have hung up several times and have yet to have once twist off.

I just clip it right to the floating line, which is about the same thickness as the other stuff. Not sure what size clip, but it does seem to fit perfect to the size of the rope. I did have a few times that the line was all twisted up near the clip... so are you saying tie a little loop in the line and then clip in the loop?

I used single halibut clips for awhile. On one pull one of my pots was twisted up and hanging by an open clip. I then switched to two clips opposed. This made for a very secure connection but is a real pain to disconnect. I also used the really heavy duty clips from The Net Loft. After visiting Steve and seeing his toggles (which he was sold out of) I built my own and have now rigged all my pots with my homemade toggles. Very secure and easy to connect disconnect. These will not break away if hung up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default wood

akjeff - are those made out of oak? I would be nervous of the wood breaking.....

Default Potbuilder's droppers

I love the droppers I got from Steve. Hella easy to pop pots on and off.

Dan

Maple. I used 1X2 cut in 6 inch sections. It would take a tremendous amount of force to break these. Especially since most of the load is on the line. The toggle just keeps the loops of line together.

Default shrimp pot insurance

You know, I just wish I could by some shrimp pot insurance from Allstate or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    so are you saying tie a little loop in the line and then clip in the loop?
    Exactly. A loop of ganion line through the main line works great.

Exactly. A loop of ganion line through the main line works great.
    I think this is what I'm needing, but not sure how to tie it. My line is 1/4" and I'd like to have loops in it made of ganion line and use heavy duty clips. Right now I have overhand knots (making a loop) in my line and use carabiners to attach the pot to the line. Steve once showed me how the line can easily come out of the carabiner, plus I often can't pull the looped part of the line through my puller because the line jumps off.

Sounds like I do it the same way as Spoiled One does, and I have no complaints. I tyied to look up the knot I use to tie the ganglion on, but I could not quickly find it. There are all different grades of the halibut clips, but the ones that I have are quite strong and work well.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I think this is what I'm needing, but not sure how to tie it. My line is 1/4" and I'd like to have loops in it made of ganion line and use heavy duty clips. Right now I have overhand knots (making a loop) in my line and use carabiners to attach the pot to the line. Steve once showed me how the line can easily come out of the carabiner, plus I often can't pull the looped part of the line through my puller because the line jumps off.
    Here is what it looks like:

I don't recall what the knot's proper name is, but the older fellow at Donalson's Co. called it a fisherman's knot.

Default Those halibut clips...

Came on the pots I bought in Valdez several years ago, and last year I lost 3 pots when I got hung up and the one that gave way/straightened out was the one holding the top pot to the buoy rope...I got the pots free and all the way to the top, when just a few feet under I could see the straightened clip just barely handing on...then it slipped and 3 pots went under.

So, I have all Steve's (Potbuilder) pots now and some of his toggles for a couple of new ones, and the older ones are just tied with rope and knots, no ^*&%!!##@ clips for me!

And, just because the bottom pot is the one hung up, it doesn't mean that is the clip that will give away and free the others, it might be the top clip as in my case!

Were you hanging all three pots off of one clip?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Here is what it looks like:

I don't recall what the knot's proper name is, but the older fellow at Donalson's Co. called it a fisherman's knot.
    Yup thats a fisherman's knot or love knot, its just two overhand knots jammed up against each other. Pete doesn't that gangion twine slip through/down the lay of your rope when you get hung down? Its not knotted in any way that i can't see ? is it? If it were me i'd back that up with a couple of half hitches around the main line.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Couple of straightened out clips

One of my customers gave me these clips that straightened out on him
    P6030456.JPG

another shot of a rigged toggle, blue line is the bridle that ties on to the pot, orange is the dropper line from the main line
    P6030460.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yup thats a fisherman's knot or love knot, its just two overhand knots jammed up against each other. Pete doesn't that gangion twine slip through/down the lay of your rope when you get hung down? Its not knotted in any way that i can't see ? is it? If it were me i'd back that up with a couple of half hitches around the main line.
    Yep, that is the knot, Steve . That is a great way to explain it. Thanks. I haven't hung a pot real bad since I started rigging this way. I like your idea of throwing a couple of half hitches into the mix.

how about just using this knot in the main line?
    P6040470.jpg
    Its called a alpine butterfly, it was on the knot tying CD i had at the shows. The good part of it that it doesn't tighten up under load so it can be taken out, took me awhile to learn to tie it left handed though, i also just taught myself the Carrick bend liked it so much after "smokeumreds" showed it to me when he was at the potbarn i just had to left hand it and now its tucked away in the knot quiver in my head.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast