Thread: Homer Spit help....little fish

Default Homer Spit help....little fish

Guys, I don't want a halibut spot just a little help with some founder or cod, anything.

My neices and nephew are in town and we are heading to Homer for a day of walking around and beach combing. I was thinking of taking my 20' Willie Predator and taking them out toward the end of the spit to catch some of those little fish around the pilings. They really don't care about what they catch or how big it is so I was thinking that would be a fun activity. Between the 4 of them and my 3 kids I could easily come back in and switch kids out then go back and catch some more little fish.

Any help on catching those fish is appreciated. I am guessing some little chunks of hearing on a small jig or a hook and sinker would do it.

There's a lot of threads on this topic but the sure fire way is as you described. I would suggest that you had a 4 or 5 beads on top of the hook and thread a medium size corky or any kind of floater to get the bait off the bottom. It will increase your hit ratio and avoid hauling in starfish and kelp on every other cast.

You do need to be able to throw it out to the piling area for consistent action but sometimes they are in really close.

For adults unless you are specifically targeting flounder, the better option is any lure that remotely resembles a fish. Spoon, jig, mister twister.... If the fish are in, you will get tired of baiting the hooks. Cast out as far as you can, let it freefall as many of your hits will come on the drop. Then reel!

oops, I just noticed you are fishing from a boat. I'd say all still applies but be careful of the big charter boats wakes. There are other pilings than the ones at the end of the spit. You won't be able to fish right at the waste out fall as you will get bombarded by hooks from the combat fishing from shore and the wakes are bad there. But there should be fish around any pilings though. Your sonar will show fish if you have one.
    Last edited by Kardinal_84; 06-03-2010 at 09:35. Reason: addition

Coho Dave, or muttley fishing crew, did a thread on a very near shore spot near Homer recently. PM him for details. I can't remember much about that thread, but he just found a "fishy" spot and tried it. Chickens all day I guess.
    Nothing really big from the spit except Arrowtooth or Pollock sometimes.

yukon... give me a call on my cell (399-2340) when you are down here.
    i am sure i can help you out.
    dave
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Guys, I don't want a halibut spot just a little help with some founder or cod, anything.

My neices and nephew are in town and we are heading to Homer for a day of walking around and beach combing. I was thinking of taking my 20' Willie Predator and taking them out toward the end of the spit to catch some of those little fish around the pilings. They really don't care about what they catch or how big it is so I was thinking that would be a fun activity. Between the 4 of them and my 3 kids I could easily come back in and switch kids out then go back and catch some more little fish.

Any help on catching those fish is appreciated. I am guessing some little chunks of hearing on a small jig or a hook and sinker would do it.
    You don't need the boat or bait....toss little scampi-type jigs on 8 or 10 pound line with trout gear....was out there yesterday and caught about 20 pollock and one dolly in about 90 minutes (half of the pollock my 5-year old daughter got on her Barbie fish rod, you know the three footers, looks like an ice-fishing rod). She did use bait - squid - but I cast a small rubber jig on my ultra-light trout rod and hooked up almost every other cast. There were some yellowfin sole being caught in amongst the pollock....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Yeah, I'd have to say you might not even want to use your boat since you really won't catch anything more from it than you would from shore, though it might help you get away from any crowds that might be there.

But as was mentioned the boats going in and out of the harbor go right by there all the time and you can get some pretty good wakes coming in. Might be (and I just say "might" be) a little dangerous in a Predator with little kids. It also can get pretty wavy in there if the wind is blowing anywhere from the east. I can't imagine it will be like this in the next few days, but I've seen some pretty nice 6 ft. waves hitting that beach on windy days.

If you do have a boat and don't mind going out about 15 minutes or so just head directly toward Iliamna for 15 minutes or so and try jigging anywhere you come to. If you don't catch anything in about 10 minutes try another spot a half mile away. Eventually you will probably start to catch something.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If the water is calm, head out across the bay to Gull Island, it's a short ride. My boys had no problems getting plenty of p-cod, pollock, greenling and the occasional small but. We seemed to do best on the S end on the ledge at about 100' before it drops off, between the island and mainland. That spot is also protected from the typical prevailing westerlies, and by anchoring up you'll keep your nose to the wind. We seemed to do best on the tail end of a flood tide. We also caught on the N end in about the same depth, but the waves could rock the boat pretty hard.

We used a variety of jigs from 4-8 oz, the fish aren't picky. Leadheads w/ grubs, point wilson darts, diamond jigs with a hootchie, a home made jig that is nothing more than a 1/2" ss rod w/ a swivel and hootchie off of a hook, and probably some other jigs I put on just to see what would catch fish.

It's a neat place to fish due to all the birds on the rock and in the water. Every once in awhile you'd think you were in a stadium with a touchdown being made when the gulls would all start squaking at once.

With the traffic coming in and out of the harbor, I'd advise against bringing a boat down just to fish around there, much more trouble than it is worth.