Thread: Privacy hedge

Default Privacy hedge

I'm needing something to plant as a privacy hedge. The area I'm planting in gets about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight daily. I'd like something that grows fast and doesn't require to much maintenance. At this point I'm leaning towards Arborvitae Emerald Green Shrubs. Any thoughts or advice for a novice?

Where are you located? I know several people who have tried to grow Arborvitea but didn't have a lot of sucess.
    Have you looked in to siberian pea trees? I know they use them for hedges at UAF and there is also a hedge of them in eagle river along the old glenn by Business blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by mikaleauruk View Post
    I'm needing something to plant as a privacy hedge. The area I'm planting in gets about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight daily. I'd like something that grows fast and doesn't require to much maintenance. At this point I'm leaning towards Arborvitae Emerald Green Shrubs. Any thoughts or advice for a novice?
    Most likely, they will live and do well. But, they do need to be watered of they will die. And they can get spider mites pretty bad to the point it kills them when it is hot and dry. I have enjoyed mine over the years.

I have had good luck with Devils Club, Alders, Cow Parsnips, and random Willows.

Default Looking for privacy hedge

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into some of the suggestions. By the way, I live in Anchorage.

Default hedge

I have Carigona (check spelling) They grow fast and need little maintanace. and I live in the valley

Caragana and the Siberian Pea Shrub are one in the same. Just know that they are highly invasive and if not kept up on will take over your whole yard.......They will grow ANYWHERE!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Caragana and the Siberian Pea Shrub are one in the same. Just know that they are highly invasive and if not kept up on will take over your whole yard.......They will grow ANYWHERE!

will they grow in the back of my pickup? i would like to grow them and trim them to look like a pickup bed camper, so i can one up the neighbors.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    will they grow in the back of my pickup? i would like to grow them and trim them to look like a pickup bed camper, so i can one up the neighbors.
    Keep'n it real in the valley!!!