Thread: 225 g cast loads for 44 mag

Default 225 g cast loads for 44 mag

got a whole gob of lubed, gas checked, hard cast bullets, just having trouble finding a load that wasnt meant for JHP projectiles. ive loaded a hand full which shot decent, based on published data, just lookin to see if anyone has some sweetheart loads in their log books. im shootin a SBH 7 1/2" and a 1894 marlin, and i dont mind cleanin barrels. i have h110 and w296, 2400, aa#9, bulls eye and probably something i forgot. im lookin for 1300ish from the wheel gun and 1600ish from the lever. living in the Big Village as i do, range time is limited and i was hoping to get some good loads from the experts before my next weekend excursion. Thanks all, E
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Default Since a cast alloy bullet,

even a hard cast one, produces less pressure than a jacketed or pure copper one, you can use the same data as for a jacketed bullet of the same weight with no harmful effects at all, except the possibility of some leading, which is not a safety issue generally speaking. You will get somewhat higher velocities with the cast bullet with the same load. As usual, start with the low load and work up carefully. I like 2400 with cast bullets, though a little harmless residue might occur after firing.

Default info

thanks, mauser, by the way those 325g monsters i got from you have made my friends start switching to the 44mag, now that they've seen the power! ive got about 300 of those 225 grainers and was gonna just plink them away, but they have shot pretty nice. considering my little load development experience just thought id seek a little guidance before i wasted them all. seems the could be a good little black tail round.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Since the bullets are gas checked you should get virtually no leading. This is because gas checks tend to scrape out whatever leading there may be.

As far as data I'd be guessing, but a relatively conservative load using 2400 would be 20 grains. Mauserboy's right about being able to use jacketed data for cast bullets.

One thing you might want to do is just quickly verify the diameter of those bullets with a mic or calipers. You don't want to realize too late that you ended up with someone's custom-sized .434" bullets when you thought they were .430". Probably also a good idea to verify the actual weight as well.

Mike