Thread: Turnagain arm fishing

Default Turnagain arm fishing

Just curious. Is it possible to do surf casting from seward highway just south of anchorage and catch anything? If so what is out there?

We dont have any surf to cast in, its all silt water and mud flats for about a mile or more offshore.

You can go to Twentymile or bird creek though and fish from shore at the mouth and up the stream/river, I see people there all the time as I'm heading to Whittier.

Wear chest waders though, AND DONT GO OUT ON THE MUD FLATS - the most notable story is of a woman getting ripped in half by a helicopter trying to get her unstuck from the mud before the tide came in and drowned her.

If you want "surf" casting you're have to go to Seward, Ninilchick (and surrounding) or Homer.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Smile

Only surf seen on he flats is a "bore tide". Very dangerous place to walk onto

Yea I surf cast at the beach six miles up from deep creek campground and do good. Was just trying to find a place close to anchorage to screw around during the work week since I'm in the army. Thanks though. Casting 200 yrds at the mouth of bird creek, what could I catch out there

My dad's a fisheries biologist, and he's actually done sampling in Turnagain and Knik Arm.

Other then the migratory fish, there is almost nothing out there. I wouldn't waste your time trying.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFishboy View Post
    Yea I surf cast at the beach six miles up from deep creek campground and do good. Was just trying to find a place close to anchorage to screw around during the work week since I'm in the army. Thanks though. Casting 200 yrds at the mouth of bird creek, what could I catch out there
    What are you casting for out there? What lures are you tossing?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

We toss herring. This weekend we are gonna try squid and others.