Thread: Valdez Shrimp

Default Valdez Shrimp

I am headed to Valdez this weekend to try to catch some shrimp for the 1st time. Any advise would be great.

Default Shrimp

Use tiny hooks

follow the crowd over to Minereal Creek(turn right outta that harbor). Shoot for depth of about 200+ feet. Make sure to not drop you gear in the way of the barge comming in everyday. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. I might share a lil more info later on after my trip there this weekend pending results.

Default Be careful...

To stay a couple hundred yards from anyone elses pots, and if you use a buoy to pull your pots, be careful of your direction so you don't run over anyone elses pots.

Be sure to have enough rope on your pots, 80-100 feet extra on a 200 foot drop, at least. Remember to get a pot permit, you can get them in Valdez at Reynolds Alaska (if they still call it that, I think they went bankrupt...someone should have them).

Pop the heads off and put the tails in a ziploc on ice right away...and enjoy!

Default Reynolds

Reynolds did go bankrupt and is no longer in business. Try Radio Shack or call Tony Beck the trooper. No one has opened the old Reynolds as of yet, but it was bought.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Reynolds did go bankrupt and is no longer in business. Try Radio Shack or call Tony Beck the trooper. No one has opened the old Reynolds as of yet, but it was bought.
    This is very SAD news to me! I find that they have better prices on weights, lures and cheap halibut combo set ups than anyone around my town. So if I wanted to buy hearing where do I go now? Prospector?
    I cant believe they are closed!
    ****!

Default Stuff

The Prospector has herring and some gear. I think they may step up to the plate and increase the availability of some items. Eagle, the grocery store has bait. There is a new boating supply place in the little mall where Three Bears liquor used to be. He has shrimp bait but I wasn't exactly looking for herring.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default It is open

Reynolds was bought and has opened. It is now in the old Three Bears building on the main street. They have the Marine, sporting goods and ATV stores all under one roof. The guys that bought it are doing a great job getting it going. It is open for business.