Thread: Common sense in boat anchoring

Default Common sense in boat anchoring

Over the past few years, I have noticed boaters not using common sense where they anchor or park their boats. For example, on the Deshka River, boaters tend to park/anchor in the deep narrow channels forcing boats to go aground to get around them.

This past weekend, part of the contributing factor to the accident was boats parked and people swimming on a blind corner and narrowing an already narrow channel.

Quote Originally Posted by riverboat View Post
    Over the past few years, I have noticed boaters not using common sense where they anchor or park their boats. For example, on the Deshka River, boaters tend to park/anchor in the deep narrow channels forcing boats to go aground to get around them.

This past weekend, part of the contributing factor to the accident was boats parked and people swimming on a blind corner and narrowing an already narrow channel.

I hate to say as things on the Deshka heat up the traffic is horrible and many forget the rules of the water. Boaters need to be aware that it is illegal to in any way hinder another boats travel in the navigable part of the river. This includes anchoring, swimming, or as many times on the Little Sue, and a couple of the narrow spots on the Deshka, standing waist deep in the only channel is considered enterferring with navigation and tickable. I will try to stop and let someone know and most will attempt to move things for the better, but I have beached a few boats after trying to be nice. It's amazing at how much water pressure a Hami has to be able to make passable room. Also remember those coming down river have the right away, so those going upriver are the give way craft.

Unhappy

I know where your coming from here. But for me its waaaay worse on the little zoo where the channel is so much more narrow and the river not so wide. I can't tell you how many times I've come around a tight bend to see an idiot anchored in the ONLY channel to run and if I hadn't slowed down for the corner I would have hit them head on. That's after running through the gauntlet of fools standing up to their necks in the water leaving the landing! They look at you like your the idiot floating uncontrolled down with the current trying to miss them but hoping you don't..... I wish I had the answer.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Angry Deshka river accident

I watched the deshka river accident happen.....There was no-one swimming in the river. Furthermore there were no boats anchored in the river...just a couple on the bank. I don't know where you recieved your infobut it is definetly flawed. The accident was caused by negligent driving... There was a couple in a phantom driving to fast on memorial day weekend when the river is busy. Everyone thinks because there boat will go 40 they need to run it that fast. Those boats are flatbottom and don't turn fast enough to run a tight river with blind corners like that going that fast. That being said the boat coming up the river was hugging the inside corner as well....The only people swimming in the river were myself and another adult swimming to rescue bodies ejected into the river with no life vest.....INCLUDING A 3 YEAR WITH NO LIFE VEST ON.....

If you want to address the issue its unskilled boater's buying the new tunnel hulled sport jons that go to fast for some people's judgement and skill levels. I own a cabin on the deshka and have seen the influx of these boats over the last couple years. These guys are running these boats all over the little su as well going way to fast. Truthfully I can't believe we haven't seen more accidents there.
    Last edited by fishnhuntak; 06-09-2010 at 17:04. Reason: mis spelled

I'll probably take some flack for saying this but so be it...

I agree with fishnhunt completely and will add that there are alot of boats that are going places where they are a menace to other users...for example a 18-20' inboard had no business running Little Willow. In order to run those "creeks" those big jets need the speed to stay on step and they cause significant risk to other users..Someone in a raft, canoe or wading the edges fishing shouldn't have to fear for their safety because an inexperience pilot of an oversized boat is trying to prove he can go shallow and narrow...I'll stop there...

BTW, Having a 3 YO without a life vest on an alaska river should be a jailable offense..

Angry Deshka river accident

I watched the deshka river accident happen.....There was no-one swimming in the river. The accident was caused by negligent driving... There was a couple in a phantom driving to fast on memorial day weekend when the river is busy. Everyone thimks because there boat will go 40 they need to run it that fast. Those boats are flatbottomand don't turn fast enough to run a tight river with blind corners like that. That being said the boat coming up the river was hugging the inside corner as well....The only people swimming in the river were myself and another adult swimming to rescue bodies ejected into the river with no life vest.....INCLUDING A 3 YEAR WITH NO LIFE VEST ON.....

If you want to address the issue its unskilled boater's buying the new tunnel hulled sport jons that go to fast for some people's judgement and skill levels. I own a cabin on the deshka and have seen the influx of these boats over the last couple years. These guys are running these boats all over the little su as well going way to fast. Truthfully I can't believe we haven't seen more accidents there.

Default where?

Fishhunt,
    Can you tell me where the accident happend? I would think in the first 6.5 miles of the river are navigable at slower speeds without grounding to point that the boat couldn't be re-floated easily.
    I am just curious to see where it happend to get a better understanding.

Riverboat-
    I also witnessed the accident on the Deshka over Memorial weekend. I completely agree with Fishnhuntak. The guy in the Sport Jet was going way too fast and the guy in the Harbor craft cut the corner. And the only people swimming were the 2 adults swimming after the people that were ejected. If you are blaming this accident on the boats parked on the shore, you are crazy.
    I kind of have a funny feeling that you were involved in the accident and trying
    to point the blame anywhere but yourself. If not I apologize....

Question

Does seem kinda odd for a first post now that you mention it.....

The accident happened about a mile up the deshka at the 3 island. It was at the lower corner of the middle island.

Unhappy

That's a tight area. Currently waters low and I have to maintain speed to make it up through as well. But speed to me is relative as in my boat isn't "fast" but more "barge like" in its handling so I'm always playing the what if card, like what if someones comming around the corner... what am I going to do. I'm unable to turn away on a dime so I have to reduce speed which usually results in my jet full of rocks or deciding what bank I'd prefer running into. That sort of thing. I'm surprised as well we don't have more incidents. If your flying around corners faster than your able to see ahead, it's not a matter of if, but when.

The water is 5 deep on the lower corner....it gets shallower towards the top of the islands but your right there are plenty of shallow corners on many of our streams. The thing is the new tunneled inboards phantom/predator/extreme shallow's the coolest thing about them is they run shallow at 20 mph vs our big boats that only run shallow at 40 mph. I have many hours running these style boats and those of us who appreciate what they really do know they are great boats when run at design sppeds not the 40 ph they advertise....furthermore they burn almost 20 gph when going that fast.

I must be thinking a little further up where you have what looks like 3 ways to veer left (I always end up picking the middle one). Its only riffles there. One year I came around the same route and it ended to dirt! Had to shut it down and float back out. Water levels change greatly on that river throughout the year.

The thing I like most about my rig is I can push it off ankle deep alone. I see you big boys and I get scared for you. When your stuck YOUR STUCK!