Thread: Whittier fishing advice...

Question Whittier fishing advice...

I am heading down to spend the weekend fishing and enjoying the outdoors and family. I am not too familiar with salmon tactics in the sound and was curious as to everyone's tactics to catching salmon out there. Lures, speed, depth, and if your willing, location/general area would be great. I will have some family up from the lower 48 and a bunch of other family with me so I'd love to help make it a VERY memorable trip. Going to hit up the shrimp, halibut, and hope to hook into some yellow eye. Thanks in advance for any info and or current fishing reports for down there.

AZinAK

Default Enjoy the view

Check the weather -

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

Passage Canal - not too bad this weekend, but if you guests get seasick, think about getting some meds for them. Nothing spoils a trip like getting sick on the boat. Everyone should eat an hour or two before getting on the boat - that seems to help.

I've been very successful out of Whittier, and totally skunked. I don't really have places I go that produce every time. I'd try on each side of Colross Passage. My wife picked up a halibut on both ends and rock fish on the far side. Use bait ; ).

If the fishing is poor - switch tactics and go for the view. Drop your guests off on a cool beach and go for a hike. Watch the tide, if it's coming in you can leave the boat on the beach, but drag your anchor high up and out of the zone.

The Ester Island cannery is a cool attraction. We've also caught a halibut out in front of there.

I've never gone through Ester passage, but I've heard that is another beautiful trip.

Although I've never caught a halibut out in front of Pigot Bay, I don't know why there aren't a few hanging out on the flats there near the kelp beds... its not deep, but not all halibut hang in deep water and the kelp hides a lot of smaller fish, shrimp, wolf eels, and maybe a mermaid or two.

Above all, have fun. Have a back-up plan - maybe a picnic. Attitude goes a long way if the fishing is poor.

Thumbs up Thanks...

Appreciate the input/advice. Will check out the spots you suggested. I'm running in a Bayliner 305 so I can't beach it...32 feet of V hull is a bit much for the lifeguards!! Thanks again for the feedback...wasn't sure there was going to be any...someone always comes through though. I love this forum! I will post how things were, where I went, and some pics. Be safe everyone...

AZinAK

Ester Hatchery has been plugged with chums for the past few weeks. Although there is a lot of commercial activity, you might find good fishing in Lake Bay itself, or in and around the bays and points. Halibut fishing seems to be kicking off in grand style. There seems to more of a presence of 40-80 pound class fish than during this time in the last couple of years. Although I fish a long ways out, smaller boats seem to be doing ok too. While the northern Sound will never compare to Cook Inlet, there are some fish around for those who are persistant and patient. The CG has been busy lately, be safe.