Thread: Any gas between Galena and St Mary's?

Default Any gas between Galena and St Mary's?

I am planning to travel from WhiteHorse to Fairbanks in a 20 foot jetboat (350 BFI, Hamilton 212). I have lots of time and thought that when I get to Tanana I might go out to the coast and back just to say I did it. I figure to have enough fuel for the downstream run with stops at Galena and St Mary's. Coming back up I'm not so sure. Can I get gas at any other places like Holy Cross or Russian Mission? I'm also not sure of the current speed I'll be fighting back upstream. I'll skip that portion if the fuel situation looks iffy.

I have been looking at the maps and satellite photos and it looks like the Tanana may be a tricky run mid to late August. Is there much local traffic from Tanana to Fairbanks? I thought I might campout until I saw somebody heading up and follow their lead.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by slowwater View Post
    I am planning to travel from WhiteHorse to Fairbanks in a 20 foot jetboat (350 BFI, Hamilton 212). I have lots of time and thought that when I get to Tanana I might go out to the coast and back just to say I did it. I figure to have enough fuel for the downstream run with stops at Galena and St Mary's. Coming back up I'm not so sure. Can I get gas at any other places like Holy Cross or Russian Mission? I'm also not sure of the current speed I'll be fighting back upstream. I'll skip that portion if the fuel situation looks iffy.

I have been looking at the maps and satellite photos and it looks like the Tanana may be a tricky run mid to late August. Is there much local traffic from Tanana to Fairbanks? I thought I might campout until I saw somebody heading up and follow their lead.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.
    How much fuel are carrying?

The Tanana is been done pretty regular but it does get braided, tricky and shallow.

Default Well, hell...

stop on by here in Marshall, we've a beach pump...just down river from Russian...hail me by my screen name on VHF channel 68 when you get here...

There are gas stations in Holy X, Russian, Grayling, & Anvik, so you should be good...dunno if there are any beach pumps like we have, but I know theres gas...

The river can get pretty rapidy between Ohogamuit & Russian on some windy days...your trip up river could be a doozy, dependin' on the wind of course...

Have a fun & safe trip!

Thanks for the reply gogoalie. If I decide to make that leg I'll definitely hail you.

I carry a little wheelie wagon and some 6 gal jugs so I can haul gas if its not on the river. I have lots of time and will sit out the windy days and pin it on the good ones. Did the Mackenzie River and learned that its just not fun beating yourself up on that large river chop when its windy.

Dupont Spinner - With some extra strap down tanks I'm carrying 220 gallons. I have some 55 gal plastic barrels that I may swap in for a little extra but its getting a little cramped. Some days I wish I had added a foot or two when ordering the boat. The flowscan tells me that I'm using 10-11 gallons @3400 which I think is about 30-32 mph. This gives me about 3 miles to the gallon in good conditions. I would say 2 upstream. I haven't finished calibrating the flowscans but I think these are pretty close to average for my set up.

I carry a winch that I can mount on the bow or stern but I'm happier if I don't need to use it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Emmonik also had( been a long time since i was there though) pumps down by the mouth for your return trip...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by slowwater View Post
    Thanks for the reply gogoalie. If I decide to make that leg I'll definitely hail you.

I carry a little wheelie wagon and some 6 gal jugs so I can haul gas if its not on the river. I have lots of time and will sit out the windy days and pin it on the good ones. Did the Mackenzie River and learned that its just not fun beating yourself up on that large river chop when its windy.

Dupont Spinner - With some extra strap down tanks I'm carrying 220 gallons. I have some 55 gal plastic barrels that I may swap in for a little extra but its getting a little cramped. Some days I wish I had added a foot or two when ordering the boat. The flowscan tells me that I'm using 10-11 gallons @3400 which I think is about 30-32 mph. This gives me about 3 miles to the gallon in good conditions. I would say 2 upstream. I haven't finished calibrating the flowscans but I think these are pretty close to average for my set up.

I carry a winch that I can mount on the bow or stern but I'm happier if I don't need to use it.
    Ok you are on the money with fuel. Most carry a little more but most are hauling heavy (Moose) on the return. I would suspect your 2 miles per gallon upstream may be a little optimistic. I would guess at closer to 1 to 1.5 mpg on your up stream travel.

I talked to someone who tried the Tanana trip and he said never again. He got hung up for 2 days. This was during hunting season, August may have more water. I am hoping someone else, maybe someone who lives out that way, will chime in with better info.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

current water levels are still WAY WAY LOW! the barge was having freight trucked to the bridge on the Dalton last week to take up river. i would imagine squaw crossing is NASTY right now either that or there is ONLY one defined channel below the bridge the Yukon is still an easy 10-12 foot below the normal water mark
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It has been a cool spring here in Northwest British Columbia. Do you suppose the low water levels are a result of a late thaw and water levels will rise. We generally see high water late June. Just wondering if the water will come up July and August when I'm travelling.

If the Tanana stays low I could run back upstream to the bridge, hitch a ride to Fairbanks to get my truck and trailer. The boat would be left unattended for the best part of a day depending on the road and availability of a ride. Don't know if that is a good idea.

I wouldn't mind having a backup plan.

Default The Yukon does drop...

& this year its' dropped preciptiously...one of the faster drops I've seen in my short time here...water will come up after the rainy season of Aug-Sep...

Pray for lots of rain next month and water will rise. Not much snow along the Yukon this past winter = low water levels after breakup. Run a prop after Tanana and your fuel economy will go up. Ran from Nenana to Emmonak 3 years ago, what a blast!
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Going downstream I usually run my Yamaha 8hp high thrust. Lots of push on a 20 foot boat and great economy if you're not in hurry. I have it hooked up to the main steering system so I can sit in the chair with my feet up, one hand on the wheel and enjoy the scenery.

I'm starting out from Whitehorse first week of July. Hopefully we'll see some rain by then.

Thanks for all the replies.

If you can read the water the Tanana is not herd to run.. I do it with a prop.

Sounds like a great trip - It's been on my list of things to do for some time now. The Tanana is not a bad river to run - They run barges and tug boats so a jet boat shouldn't be a problem. It can be easier to run at low water since the main channel is easier to see.

Good info guys. Thanks a lot. I'm glad I found this site.

One more question. I'll be getting gas at some of the smaller places on the Yukon. How many will take a credit card (Galena, St Mary's I know) and how many will I need cash for? Hate to carry more cash than necessary.

Default Come on Slowwater....

hehehe...we're in the 21st. Century here... Marshall takes CC & I am sure that Russian does too...

Talking

I'm jealous! When I have the money I don't have the time and when I have the time I don't have the money...... story of my life.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"