Thread: fishing charter for 14?? any suggestions

Default fishing charter for 14?? any suggestions

Good morning,

As the title suggest I am looking for suggestions on a charter that I can take my family on when they come to visit in July. Dad, brothers, niece, nephew, sisters in law and more!!

Not partial to fish species or location yet. Just starting to research and if possible would like to take everyone on the same boat.

Thanks for info
    Jason

In South Central you could buy a boat out of Seward or Homer that could accomodate that. Do it early as July is the bussiest time and about to get bussier.

Try Rainbow Tours in Homer. They do half-day halibut charters for $90, and their boat can hold that many if you book early (as in NOW). You'll probably just catch chickens ranging from 15-30 pounds, but it would be a kick to have all of you on one boat.

Saltwater Safaris out of Seward could probably hook you up as well, but you'd be looking at a full day charter at 200-250 per person.

-Brian

Talking Big boat or 6 pack?

I've taken groups of as large as 24 out of Homer using 6 pack boats, lots of fun, we usually anchor within talking range and most place bets on which boat lands the most or largest fish, and its a race back to the Salty dog!
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Good morning,

As the title suggest I am looking for suggestions on a charter that I can take my family on when they come to visit in July. Dad, brothers, niece, nephew, sisters in law and more!!

Not partial to fish species or location yet. Just starting to research and if possible would like to take everyone on the same boat.

Thanks for info
    Jason
    Oh yes. 14 should not be a problem, just pick a bigger boat and charter the whole thing for whatever you want to do. I would think somewhere at least 36-40 footer or larger. You shouldn't have to divide the group into several 6-pack boats, or cram into a small boat unless you want to. Bigger boats more stable, more cabin room, etc. There's probably a limit each boat can handle trolling lines (like 12 or 14 or something), but more for halibut. The charter boat people can explain it to you.

Default Its Personal preferance

I've heard stories about the big boats from my customers and I've been there myself some good, some bad, the bad include, feeling like a number while waiting for a line to get untangled (with up to 20 lines it happens alot), waiting to get re-baited or to net a fish, sick from diesel fumes and yes Bigger boats are more stable, can go out in rougher weather (and still beat the crap out of ya), have more cabin room, but you spend more time in the cabin as you travel slower, some trips up to 3 hours each way like a trip to Montague or barrens Isl. Smaller boats offer more fishing time and a personable experience with a chance for one on one learning, custom trips say fish, then lodging in Seldovia or Port Graham then fish the next day etc.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Question

I thought that with a six-pack license you could only have six people on board plus the captain?

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    I've taken groups of as large as 24 out of Homer using 6 pack boats, lots of fun, we usually anchor within talking range and most place bets on which boat lands the most or largest fish, and its a race back to the Salty dog!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I thought that with a six-pack license you could only have six people on board plus the captain?
    Dave - He's talking about hiring multiple 6-pack boats and having all the boats park/fish next to each other.

-Brian

Default Re-read

Oop's my fault. Apology! I read it too fast between classes while calling in attendence today.

When we go out of Val we often call friends and see if we can get 2-3 boats on a trip. With smaller boats, safety in numbers is a plus.

Default The power of 14...

Negotiate, my friend, negotiate.

That kind of buying power means you should be able to strike a deal better than the per person rate. Do not hesitate to ask. If the operator has good references, strikes a good deal, and provides you with a decent pay-ahead contract in writing, then feel good about your decision.

Get on the stick, and right now. If you want me to call you for any assistance, send your phone number to alaskanauthor@comcast.net.

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Plentycoupe's idea was to fish 14 on one boat:

The answer is yes, just make it a big boat. I personally would choose a 50 footer for that size group. Seriously. I think that would be a good fit. I don't know what's available, so as stated in other posts, check it out.

Profishguide is generally correct on the few downsides of big boats but this is not a big deal; they are a little slower (frankly I think that's plenty fast); they sometimes have diesel issues (not always, not every one).

The only thing I would add is that the cost per person is going to be a little less on a big boat than a small boat; they definitely charge you less if you charter a whole boat (say, a 50-footer with a 14 fisherman capacity), than 14 times the individual rate. It isn't a huge savings, but some.

You get what you pay for. Most notable charter captains have a boat exclusive price that is usually a little cheaper than (by person) prices. If I had 14 friends/family members coming up to Aslaska I would recommend
    Crackerjack Sportfishing Charters out of Seward. They do a great job and handle 14 person exclusives. Their website is Crackerjacksportfishing.com

-Ben

Saltwater Safaris in Seward has a big boat that will accomadate 14 people. They weem to know where the fish are. I know there number and website are on the "service" part of this website. give them a call and as Alaskanauthor says, negotiate with them but I would contact them fairly soon.

Lightbulb Land Lubbers

If these people are land lubbers a bigger boat may be the best way to go. More stable in waves, bathrooms, usually food available, more room for extra gear. Nothing worse to go on a fishing trip and end up being the one chumming over the side.

With that many people, you may wanna throw down some bets on who's getting sea sick, and who isn't. Hehe.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default thanks

thanks everyone for the replys here!!

Default Seward Resort

If anybody in your family is Military you can book with the Military resort there. The boats hold 14 people & are extremely inexpensive. Halibut/Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Good morning,

Thanks for info
    Jason
    Try Salt Water Safai. They got two nice Deltas that can take that many people and o a good job eith large groups. Capt. Bob lets you decide what you want to fish for when you do an exclusive trip like that. This is also a good time because silvers are thick, halibut is good, and cod starts on july 1. Good luck. also you may want to look at Pro fish and sea charters he has a first class operation too

the fish house out of seward tell them you want to go out on the perseverance with captain Jimmy you will not be disapointed the boat is 49ft. I think and can fish 14 and hold 16 people