Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Little Su

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nikiski, AK
    Posts
    10

    Default Little Su

    I'm working on a trip up to the little Su this weekend and since i've never been, i'm wondering how the float, and the fishing is right now.

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by skier_bum34 View Post
    I'm working on a trip up to the little Su this weekend and since i've never been, i'm wondering how the float, and the fishing is right now.
    If you float it or walk in from downtown Houston, be sure and stop at the confluence with Nancy Lake Creek. Reds are good right now.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    If you float it or walk in from downtown Houston, be sure and stop at the confluence with Nancy Lake Creek. Reds are good right now.
    You keep handing out good advice and your gonna get blackballed!!!!

    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  4. #4
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    How do you get to the confluence? I usually just walk down the rail road tracks...oh I mean beside them.......lol

  5. #5
    Member Lake creek fishermen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skwentna, AK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Were do you get to the nacey lake creek confluence? Do you have to float to get there? I am really looking to catch some reds but never had ANY succesee ever. Would love to get into some fish
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

  6. #6
    Member scott_rn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    You keep handing out good advice and your gonna get blackballed!!!!

    Great. Now it's gonna look like the line to get on the space mountian.

  7. #7

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Were do you get to the nacey lake creek confluence? Do you have to float to get there? I am really looking to catch some reds but never had ANY succesee ever. Would love to get into some fish
    There is a nice big grassy parking area just to the north of downtown Houston proper, before you leave the city. Walk to the river and go downstream. You will find it. Take a backpack to carry out the fish, they get heavy on a stringer.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    sweet thanks for the info! I know where your talking about, I just had no idea were it went or why people parked there.

  9. #9
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    don't worry I don't think a lot of people will go there, most people don't want to walk to fish and even more so they don't like carrying fish back either.

  10. #10

    Default

    How far of a hike is it? Do you have to cross or walk along the railroad tracks?

  11. #11
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default Good Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    How far of a hike is it? Do you have to cross or walk along the railroad tracks?
    IMO you guys are being sent on a "Snipe Hunt". While there is a small red run this time of year and given the way Reds "bite" I wouldn't consider them there in fishable numbers. If you were going for kings and picked up a few reds then that's more realistic.

    If you did attempt to walk from Houston to Nancy lake creek be prepared for a 7 mile hike with no trail along the river to speak of. You will be busting brush in a jungle and what was left of you after the mosquitoes it would most likely be a one time trip.

    You are better off with a boat or float trip. No Red is worth what you will go through to get there.

    Just my opinion take it for what its worth and good luck if you go.

  12. #12

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    IMO you guys are being sent on a "Snipe Hunt". While there is a small red run this time of year and given the way Reds "bite" I wouldn't consider them there in fishable numbers. If you were going for kings and picked up a few reds then that's more realistic.

    If you did attempt to walk from Houston to Nancy lake creek be prepared for a 7 mile hike with no trail along the river to speak of. You will be busting brush in a jungle and what was left of you after the mosquitoes it would most likely be a one time trip.

    You are better off with a boat or float trip. No Red is worth what you will go through to get there.

    Just my opinion take it for what its worth and good luck if you go.
    NR,
    I pretty much agree with everything other than it being a "snipe hunt" and only doing it once. It is a fair hike, but level terrain and not at all bad for walking. They can also usually catch a King along the way, and a few is all that is needed or allowed.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member Lake creek fishermen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skwentna, AK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Hmm 7 mile hike? Is there other fish in the nacey lake creek? Or just kings and reds there
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

  14. #14
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    well snipe hunt or not I am interested and I plan on doing it. Besides I would rather catch nothing by myself then catch a whole bunch with every one else.

  15. #15
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    well snipe hunt or not I am interested and I plan on doing it. Besides I would rather catch nothing by myself then catch a whole bunch with every one else.
    I would be surprised if you were there alone. Remember the boat and float traffic will be there.

    Guys...I'm not trying to discourage you, instead just let you know what your going to encounter... Really, it's no skin off my nose whether you go or not.

    I would however be very interested to hear a trip report when you get back.

    I grew up in that area and have walked out several times due to broken down boats. I had the advantages of knowing where to cut cross country to road access and minimize my travel along the river banks even then it's not fun. get off the river on the north side and then your in swamp up to your knees.

    Res, I didn't think you were sending them on a "snipe hunt" I just thought they should really know how its going to be. I think its safe to say that knowing what we both do about the area that neither of us will be making this trek...Agreed?

    Good luck and happy fishing to you.

  16. #16
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    I know a better way, but I aint telling! (Two can play this game)......(grin)
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  17. #17

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I know a better way, but I aint telling! (Two can play this game)......(grin)
    Not too many have a 6 wheeler for fishing!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18
    Member Huntress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there.....
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    I don't have a 6 wheeler either.....I'll leave it alone, I already got someone's goat....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

  19. #19
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    no, I know it isn't going to be easy getting there, but I also know the area, I have just never been and it seems like some thing new to say I did it once.

  20. #20
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default little su

    I didn't track back into the confluence of nacy lake creek or the little su this weekend, I had to much going on, but if any one was running the river around there, I would be interested in hearing about the fishing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •