Thread: Pike near North Pole/ Fairbanks

Default Pike near North Pole/ Fairbanks

I'm new to the area and want to catch some pike this weekend. Where can I go? I caught some greyling last weekend and had a blast. It would be even cooler if there were pike and greyling or anything else in the same area. Any help???? Also I use convintional and fly tackle. What lures/flies do you use?

Thanks Much

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I'm new to the area and want to catch some pike this weekend. Where can I go? I caught some greyling last weekend and had a blast. It would be even cooler if there were pike and greyling or anything else in the same area. Any help???? Also I use convintional and fly tackle. What lures/flies do you use?

Thanks Much
    Minto Flats or George Lake, you will need a boat. Not a lot of pike in the Chena from my experience.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

There are some in ponds on EAFB and FWA. I can't remember which ponds, but I have caught pike in a number of them. Never a keeper, but there are fish. Jedi is spot on with his recommendations.

Do a search and you will find more recommendations on locations and baits.

Default Pike

I was stationed up that way a few years ago. I always had good luck with nice pike in grayling and scout lakes across from the airforce base. Also if you want grayling and pike try badger slough behind the gas station bout half way down badger used to catch both there. Best lure was a black jig head with black "gulp" plastic baits for pike and dry flies for grayling. Good luck. Post some pics if you get a chance.

Jon

Default Pike?

If you really want to fish Pike I would do a fly in...about 200 bucks for a flight, boat and cabin for an overnight.....
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Not sure, but I heard that there were pike in the pond behind the Alaska Club in Fairbanks. ( thats just a rumor from someone that caught 2 there from what I heard)

cleaning up my retarded response

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Not sure, but I heard that there were pike in the pond behind the Alaska Club in Fairbanks. ( thats just a rumor from someone that caught 2 there from what I heard)
    I concur with rockskipper on that one!! It has been about three years since I fished it, but I have heard its still good. Also on post there is the engineer pit which is behind the Cav motorpool. There are also some decent sized pike in Bathing beauty, but they have so much real food (especially since it just got stocked) to choose from that the bite is a little less frequent out there. As far as tackle for a spincast, I have always killed em with a two piece minnow or a daredevil spoon. I have not tried cut herring on a bobber, but have heard its effective. Good luck!!

I told you before, if you weren't cav I'd hook you up, kidding. Really though, I haven't seen any pike in Badger slough in 4 years, only grayling. Try some of the ponds on Eielson Farm Road, I have had good luck over there. Moose creek is another good spot. Do yourself a favor and go buy "The Highway Angler". It's a great book for fishing the road systems in Alaska. It tells you where to fish during what time of year and breaks it down by mile marker on the road system. If you don't have a boat and plan to fish close to the roads this book is great.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

The best place hands down for pike is in Minto Flats. Jedi and I have fish there and had good success. George lake is a possibility, if you have a boat, but judging from the water level's it may be difficult getting in through George Creek. I know Bathing Beauty Pond has Pike in it and Badger Slough does as well. (I've seen them in there this year).

Ironically enough, in Little Harding, a lake managed for Trophy Bows, there was a small Pike hanging out by the inlet stream....let's just say those aren't supposed to be in there.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"