Thread: Used boats.

Default Used boats.

When looking to buy a used boat, what are some of the more critical things to look for?
    Is there any sure signs that a jet pump is bad without running it on water?
    Any opinions on this boat? Is the 100 hp to much/ to little or just right for this boat?
    It sounds like the motor runs good,, but im worried about the jet..
    http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1750042877.html
    Thanks for any advice offered..

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    When looking to buy a used boat, what are some of the more critical things to look for?
    Is there any sure signs that a jet pump is bad without running it on water?
    Any opinions on this boat? Is the 100 hp to much/ to little or just right for this boat?
    It sounds like the motor runs good,, but im worried about the jet..
    http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1750042877.html
    Thanks for any advice offered..
    Slimm,

Personally, I would take it to a person that deals with boats everyday and have them give it a serious inspection while checking all the systems to look for possible problems. Yep, it will cost you something to do it, but it is well worth the trouble and $$$. I hate to say it, and you already know it, there are some folks out there that lack honesty and integrity. If the owner is reluctant to do cooperate with having it lookied over, I would probably move on as the red flags are starting to fly.

If you can't get it to a place that checks them out, here is a short and probably incomplete list:

-Documentation is in order: title for boat and trailer are clear and registration and tags are good.

-Engine: starts easily and runs well, no bearing noises from the jet or the lower end of the motor (powerhead). When opening the cover, all wiring around the coils look original and sound (problem area on that motor). No signs of leaking carbs (another problem area), paint on the powerhead is not cracked (overheating occurred if there is), and the waterpump is flowing out the "pee hole". All engine controls (steering, throttle ECT) work easily and smoothly.

Fuel: Guages work, no signs of leaks around the tank area, use of double hose clamps is a plus, all hardware holding the tank down look solid, and fuel lines look good. A nice plus would be a fuel water separator. Of course, nothing should be leaking.

Electrical: All the stuff that is supposed to work does. This could include the pump, the radio, running lights, guages, tach, and everything else. Battery should be in a box securely tied down, terminals should have covers. Nothing should be cobbled up in this area or you will have trouble.

Hull: Look for corrosion as most boats have some. Take a look under the bottom, how many dings and dents does it have? Not a show stopper necessarily, but important. Look for cracks and flexing in the transom area. Check it over from bow to stern to make sure that nothing is cracking and nothing is about to break.

Trailer: Check the tires, the bearings, the springs, the coupler, and the lights. Also check the structure of the trailer for cracks, welds, and rust. It will probably show neglect here and there as most trailers do that are that old.

Sea Trial: I also would insist on taking it out. There are lot of reasons for this trial. One is that jet boats with worn impellors and sleeves will not hop right up on step. In fact, they are slugs that can't even get out of their own way. Take my 20 hp little jet skiff for example. When the sleeve and impellor are not dressed, it gets up on step (after some time) at 14-15 mph at full throttle with two people. When the impellor and sleeve are dressed, it will go 22-25 mph at full throttle. I would expect very good performance out of that light little boat you are looking at with that motor on it. Anything less, and there is something wrong and it could be serious.

Another reason to insist on taking it out is to see how many leaks it has and how bad they are. It probably has some since it looks like it has rivets. Leaking is not the end of the world, but you will also find out if the pump works.

I am sure I am missing something.....but others will chime in as well. Good luck to you with your search

In general, people sell boats for 3 reasons. 1 is they don't use it enough to justify the expense, 2 is they are upgrading, and 3 is the boat is in such bad shape it doesn't make any fiscal sense to do the necessary major repairs so they are trying to get whatever they can out of it.

The thing to consider with an old boat like that is you can get nickled and dimed to death doing an upgrade here and there. I.e. you have to get no tires for the trailer, new bearings, rewire it, then misc upgrades to the boat. If you don't mind spending the time to thoroughly go through the boat and trailer, fine, but with many older boats the first year gets spent doing upgrades and repairs, not using it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

another really big question to ask is HOW LONG HAS IT SET????????

when was the engine last run?

things that set 2-3-4-5 years tend to be harder to get running, bearings go dry on one side and wear out faster sitting then moving all the time... were the carbs left with old gas in them? thus varnishing the floats and main jets?

in reality the BOAT is the cheap part of the purchase... the power behind it is the $$$$ end of the deal...

is the boat worth a re power later? how often are you going to use it?

old boats may well be fine and great i the owner cared for them, heck i am looking at a few also... as i only plan to use it a few weekends a year ... the newest greatest is not my desire. just trustworthy.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    In general, people sell boats for 3 reasons. 1 is they don't use it enough to justify the expense, 2 is they are upgrading, and 3 is the boat is in such bad shape it doesn't make any fiscal sense to do the necessary major repairs so they are trying to get whatever they can out of it.

The thing to consider with an old boat like that is you can get nickled and dimed to death doing an upgrade here and there. I.e. you have to get no tires for the trailer, new bearings, rewire it, then misc upgrades to the boat. If you don't mind spending the time to thoroughly go through the boat and trailer, fine, but with many older boats the first year gets spent doing upgrades and repairs, not using it.
    Paul, as usual you are right and offer good advice. However, you are wrong on one thing; he will not be nickeled and dimed to death.....The bleeding will happen with 100 and 1000 dollar bills........I haven't even taken my CD22 out yet this year. How sad.....

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    another really big question to ask is HOW LONG HAS IT SET????????

when was the engine last run?

things that set 2-3-4-5 years tend to be harder to get running, bearings go dry on one side and wear out faster sitting then moving all the time... were the carbs left with old gas in them? thus varnishing the floats and main jets?

in reality the BOAT is the cheap part of the purchase... the power behind it is the $$$$ end of the deal...

is the boat worth a re power later? how often are you going to use it?

old boats may well be fine and great i the owner cared for them, heck i am looking at a few also... as i only plan to use it a few weekends a year ... the newest greatest is not my desire. just trustworthy.
    If it is a typical OMC V4 he doesn't have to worry about the carbs varnishing as the gas all leaked out 5 minutes after it was running when he put the trim up......

Many thanks for everybodys advice..
    I went and looked the boat over,it seemed to be in pretty good shape, it was clean and the guy went through showed me everything works, pretty much the list T.R. posted.. The motor started easy and sounded clean.
    He's selling it because he doesnt run the river as much as he thought he would and his wife wanted a nicer boat..
    I think the guy is a straight shooter and he would tell me if he knew something was wrong..
    I asked him to throw in a nice looking little trolling motor he had sitting in his shop,and we had a deal.. He said he had folks coming to look at the boat this weekend if they didn't buy it then he would throw in the trolling motor..
    No doubt on the money pit part ,, Im already priceing out what it's going to cost for a bimini frame and cover.
    Thats gonna be a few hundred bucks right there..
    I kind'a hope he sells it, and i can play hold out for awhile till the perfect boat comes along..
    Thanks everybody for the sound advice, Im learning plenty from you guys.