Thread: Local source for royalex repair kit?

Default Local source for royalex repair kit?

Anyone know where I can buy a patch kit in Anchorage for a royalex canoe? The water proof aluminum tape has done an admirable job but one rock in the right spot and I'm taking on water!

REI occationally has royalex repair kits.
    as does West Marine on Diamond...

I would call before making the trip to be sure they have them in stock however.

To be Honest though... when I was looking last fall it was cheaper to order from these guys

http://www.shop.northwestcanoe.com/c...3?categoryId=5

and have it shipped up... mind you I had all winter so wasn't in a hurry. plus REI had put thier stock away for the winter.
    Last edited by Sierra Dragon; 06-03-2010 at 08:37. Reason: spelling

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy a patch kit in Anchorage for a royalex canoe? The water proof aluminum tape has done an admirable job but one rock in the right spot and I'm taking on water!
    Royalex is a combo of bonded ABS plastic and ABS foam. More or less depends on type and extent of damages.

Sounds like instead of what would appear like cracks or crease-like repair issues... that you have an impact dent with hole getting through the entire hull. Taping temporarily keeps water from getting through the ABS plastic layer - yet is kind of drum-like fragile on another direct hit/scratch/etc.

How big is the damaged area?

- if relatively small... sand/clean surfaces then you can use a hand knead-able putty. You have probably even seen it before -- it comes in a stick about the size of a cigar and you trim off as much as needed (no pun intended). @ most 30 minutes of set-up/cure time sand it to perfection - can color it to blend in.

The canoe (an old Old Town Tripper) was hanging on the side of my shed several winters ago and one of the straps broke after too much snow. The canoe landed on the corner of a pallet in sub-freezing temps.

The hole that goes all the way through the hull isn't too big - maybe quarter-sized, but there are also several cracks a couple of inches long.

I was looking for a resin/cloth type repair. The hole/cracks are just below the water line towards the front of the canoe. Prime rock impact territory.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    The canoe (an old Old Town Tripper) was hanging on the side of my shed several winters ago and one of the straps broke after too much snow. The canoe landed on the corner of a pallet in sub-freezing temps.

The hole that goes all the way through the hull isn't too big - maybe quarter-sized, but there are also several cracks a couple of inches long.

I was looking for a resin/cloth type repair. The hole/cracks are just below the water line towards the front of the canoe. Prime rock impact territory.

Rick
    In this case 'likely' the putty I recommended will do the trick and always good to have on hand. Quick, easy, not too messy, and relatively harmless should you mess up.

In terms of how to go about professional, lasting repairs... you have two real options 1st.) is heat welding 2nd.) will be chemical bonding. No need to get too wild & crazy about it or buy expensive kits w/ haz-mat labels.

You can always raid the pluming supply for ABS cement - this chemically alone will do it all by filling and bonding. Stuff may cost ya $25

Keys to the process will be lay-out, preparation, and finish-work.

Keep in mind ABS repairs often associates Acetone (safety issues). Should have a small can of it available for cleaning, prep-work, and perfecting the look. You can thin the ABS cements for a nice shiny outer layer or let the Acetone cure a bit for thicker easier to use filler then sand later.

I did some rather extensive repairs on a royalex Explorer last year using West G-Flex Epoxy, available at Plaschem Supply (down by AK Mill and Feed). So far it has held up well.