Thread: 329 Night guard

Default 329 Night guard

First time user, but I have enjoyed reading some of the other post on this forum. . I have been a fishing guide in Alaska for 4 years now. One year on Kodak, and 3 in Katmai national park. I am sad to admit it but I finally felt the need to buy a carry gun after last years season. I bought a 329 night guard with a 4'' barrel in a 44mag last weekend and was wondering if anyone had any ammo suggestions. Also if anyone wants to no how I thought it shoot I would be happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by zbowman1 View Post
    First time user, but I have enjoyed reading some of the other post on this forum. . . Also if anyone wants to no how I thought it shoot I would be happy to share.
    Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new handgun and of course we would like to hear how you have enjoyed it.

Well to make it short and sweat, I like it. I heard and read a lot of horror stories about massive recoil. Call it inexperience, but I didn't think it was that bad. I have shot about 20 rounds of 44special, 20 rounds of low pressure 44mag, and about ten rounds of some pretty hot hand loads. All in the same siting.

Now thats not to say that I am not a little disappointed in the quality of the gun. I am taking it to a gun smith this morning to have the rotation fixed and to try to figure out why it is light striking an about 10% of the rounds.

Is it to much to ask that your 1100$ gun fires every time?

Now thats not to say that I am not a little disappointed in the quality of the gun. I am taking it to a gun smith this morning to have the rotation fixed and to try to figure out why it is light striking an about 10% of the rounds.

Wow, that sucks.

I'd contact S&W. Might save you a gunsmith bill if you are OK with it being in the mail for a bit. There is no reason S&W shouldn't take this on their own dime...

Well to make it short and sweat, I like it. I heard and read a lot of horror stories about massive recoil. Call it inexperience, but I didn't think it was that bad. I have shot about 20 rounds of 44special, 20 rounds of low pressure 44mag, and about ten rounds of some pretty hot hand loads. All in the same siting.

Did you purchase the 329 used? If so, remoive the grips and check the leaf spring screw to see if it is screw all of the way in. Manny will back the screw out a bit inorder to make for a lighter trigger pull and this sometimes cause too light of strike to the primer to ignite the round

Default Nightguard or PD?

The Nightguard has a shorter barrel with HiViz front sight and stainless cylinder while the PD has a 4" barrel and titanium cylinder. With a 4" barrel odds are you have the PD model.

The light firing pin strike may be an ammo issue - there are some threads on the subject in this forum.

First time user, but I have enjoyed reading some of the other post on this forum. . I have been a fishing guide in Alaska for 4 years now. One year on Kodak, and 3 in Katmai national park. I am sad to admit it but I finally felt the need to buy a carry gun after last years season. I bought a 329 night guard with a 4'' barrel in a 44mag last weekend and was wondering if anyone had any ammo suggestions. Also if anyone wants to no how I thought it shoot I would be happy to share.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

My smith is a PD not a night guard, sorry for the mix up. Anyway, the gun smith
    I took the gun to has been a smith and wesson factory certified gun smith for thirty years. He said he has been seeing this more and more lately. He ordered a new/ longer firing pin for it and said that should solve my problem. I bought the gun new, thats how it came from the factory. I would have sent it back to s&w but I leave for the bush in about 3 weeks.

Wow, that sucks. You should still call S&W just to complain. That's a lot of scratch for a faulty product.

My 329 PD loves Garrett 310 LBT Hard Cast go to the website

Thanks for the recomendation, I will give those a try. I bought a box of Buffalo Bore 305gr. LBT. Wow, do those hurt to shoot. I had to tap the casings out of the cylinder with a small screw driver. Any one else have that problem? or have an idea on how to keep in from happening.

Interesting. That gun's only a year or two old at the most, correct?

Default 329pd

I use Buffalo Bore's "Reduced Recoil 44 magnum loads in my 329PD - 255 gr hardcast @ approx 1300 fps. I see no need for anything stouter ... it's a full on 44 mag load ballistically.

I think that control is the key to using the 329PD for my intended purpose. Had mine Magnaported to eliminate muzzle jump and assist staying on target.

Several years ago, I killed a moose that was in one of my dog teams and wasn't leaving. My 44 Special S&W M396 Mtn Lite, stoked with BufBore's Heavy 44 Special load neatly dispatched the problem. That load is the same 255 gn hardcast as the 44 Mag load, but at 1000 fps. Good round for that Little Beast. And the BufBore Reduced Recoil 44 Mag load is appropriate for the 329PD.

Default 329pd

If you do send your 329PD back to the factory, as I would, ask them to do an action job while it's there. If you call in for return authorization, they will prepay FedEx next day shipment both going and coming. The Performance Center does the return work ...my action job from the Perf. Center cost $65. And they're the experts.

What does the action job consist of? Spring C/O?

Default action job

Smoothing the action, checking timing, trigger stop, on mine the double action pull was lightened, etc. For the accurate answer, though, ask the S&W customer service line. Mine came back glass smooth with an excellent single and double action pull, as should be expected of a Smith. For $65, it's a bargain, particularly if they pay the shipping to solve the apparent firing pin glitch. Mine was gone about 3 weeks, including a side trip to Magnaport.