Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barnes tsx failure...

Default barnes tsx failure...

something i've not seen before...have good experience with triple shox (dont use them personally but have always seen them perform good on client shot animals from caribou to brown bears) was fleshing our company's bears last week to conclude our spring season in the boss's hangar and came across a tsx that was caught beneath the hide opposite of entry (pretty common with bears) except that this one didnt even mushroom to it's base diameter...havent seen a barnes failure untill then. caliber was 375 and shot was diagonally end to end with bones involved. it was pretty much rendered a solid. anybody else seen this with tsx's i saved it and will bring my camera to the hangar with me tommorow and try to get a picture on here to show. no big deal, the bear's dead, but wondering if anyone else has seen this. pretty skookum bullet i thought before now. dont like failures much. think i'll stick to trophy bonded bearclaws.

Hey ninefoot, I think that was you in Swanson's today checking out next to me. I've heard of some of those Barnes X acting almost like an FMJ.

Oh and did you hear about the bullet that bounced off the bear down by the coast???

Are you saying the bullet did not open to mushroom or, are you saying the petals were non-existent ?

Personally i do not use them nor have I seen any recovered but, if a bullet travels diagonally through a bear end to end and smashes bone along the way loosing (or not) the frontal portion, and the critter is pushing daisies, I would consider that a success.

I would not expect a TSX to retain the petals after initial expansion, if it smashes bones along its' path.

I am sure others will chime in on with some field examples.

I love the TSX's. I've never had a problem with them.

A bullet I would recommend staying away from are the Remington Core-Lokt's.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Tsx fan

I have yet to recover a tsx out of my .300 on a downed animal,every big game animal up her exept a nanook and a oomingmak.Every one passed through and did it's job.It is strange how bears skin can hold a bullit when it passes through skin,flesh and bone only to get caught by the last layer of hide(I wish I could see that skin balloon when it does happen).Have found a few lead shot that way too,the best was a .470 nitro express in my klutina grizz.It did holded 90% of wieght but it was a broken mushroom.The only tsx I have recovered was out of some old railroad ties.We first set up three and I was shooting my .458 win.It blasted through them all so we set up five the next shot and got caught in the fifth one.It blew out the back,but the exit wasn't big enough to let the bullit pass.we split it with a axe and found it with four deadly petals,it looked that they were opened to at least a inch and a quater at full potential.It Also retained 99.9% just like the they say.I am no pro but I think nothing on this earth is fail-safe.

Great thread ninefoot it will be a fun to how many recovered a shell,would love to see yours,I hope to find mine to post, it's around hear some were???

Any chance it hit brush and entered backwards or sideways? I have seen reports of them entering sidways and not opening up after hiting brush first. For what it's worth the only TSX I've ever recovered came from a perfect broadside heart/lung shot on a cape buffalo. I retained 100% mass and all the petals were intacted.

Brett

Default call them

Might be interesting to call them or even send the bullet to them if you aren't keeping it and see what they have to say about it. Look forward to seeing the pictures of it. I have used it on many animals with no problems ever.

Please do post a pic...

I've shot my share of animals with barnes x bullets and have had great success with them.

I wasn't there, and I didn't see if the shooter was shooting through grass, twigs, etc..

Check the entrance hole if you still have the hide available....I also think the bullet entered sideways or backwards .....

Default Not a TSX but an X

200 Grain Barnes X pulled from my moose last year, shot from a .300 Win mag. It just kind of bent I also recovered a 180 partition shot from a .300 Winmag in the same moose. It performed much better opening up and putting the moose down, thanks to my brother I was trying to use up all of my Barnes X reloads. Now they are for the shooting range only

I think it was Jake that posted about a barnes tsx failure on a brown bear last year. It did the same thing passed through found on opposite side not expanding at all. Check the shooting forum thats where it was.

I took a kudu in Africa with a 225 TSX in 350 Rem Mag. Fortunately hit him in the spine, as the same thing happened. The only way you could tell it wasn't a fresh bullet was the grooving from the rifling. Recovered completely unmushroomed on the offside hide.

ya i had one that didn't open, AT ALL, i'll post a pic later of some XXX that i have recovered. the tip was damaged from recoil in the magazine of a 6.5lb .416 remington. Barnes guys said if the tip is damaged at all or if it goes crooked in flight it won't open properly, other bullets are soft enough that if they enter wrong they still break apart, thus makin' the barnes apear to "fail".
    heres the barnes, you can see the tip has a flat dent in it...i have piles of these 350 grain XXX bullets laying around,recovered from sand banks,water,snow and of course flesh...
    i'll still use them every time, so what if one didn't open, i took it outa a dead animal...it didn't "fail". just didn't open.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default gueuss fail's not the word...

jake, i guess i mean "fail" in terms of not doing what the bullet was made to do. dead bear no matter. i was just curious, cause i'd seen so many perform well. my guns like trophy bonded better, and they've got me out of a few tough scrapes...otherwise tsx or A frames would be my choice. interesting to see that my observation has been seen by others. and no the bullet didnt appear to have tumbled as there's a tiny mushroom at the tip...wil post asap.

and yeah kusko...i heard the story...dont know exact details as i wasnt there, but from what i heard from the biologist the bullet proly didnt open (similar to here) and exited the bear as it spun....thus finding the bullet on the ground towards the shooter. alot of the time with bears the bullets energy is soaked up in the animal and it either barely exits or stays under skin on far side...340 weatherby bullets dont bounce off of nothin...pretty sure its not as much of a mystery as thought by shooter. also think his tag shouldve been punched after not finding the bear....but thats just me. i do know the guy, and like the guy....just think ethically his tag shoulda been punched instead of continueing to hunt. but that's just me speculating as i wasnt there and didnt see it for myself.

Do you know at what distance the bear was shot at? I talked to the Barnes guys a couple of years ago and they mentioned that if the TSX is moving along at under 1800fps that it wont perform. My recollection is that beyond about 300 yards a 300 grain bullet really starts to slow down. Of course that really pushing it for a brown bear shot anyway.

Default heres those pics...

a couple trophy bonded bearclaws on the right, the unmushroomed tsx, and a soft point hornady, all taken from bears.

and to answer the last question, it wasnt my clients bear (i flesh them all every season) and the guide went home so i'm not sure the yardage...seriously doubt it was far enough to reduce velocity that much...cant say for sure though as i dont know the guide all that well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oh yeah, and the bearclaws are mine, the hornady was a test on an allready dead, skinned brownie carcass....obviously very soft. shot was through both shoulders on the test of the sp, both bearclaws shot bears end to end long ways...one from front to back, the other from hip to shoulder...the tsx went diagonally shoulder to hip, missing the big hip bone it appeared while fleshing hide....all were from different bears.

I pulled a TSX out of a clients goat that looked exactly like the one you have there in the pic ninefoot. It was a long shot and I assumed it didn't open up because of the decreased velocity on the bullet. I believe he was shooting a 300 WM and it was about a 400 yard shot.

I shoot A-Frames in my 338 and Scirocco's in my 300 RUM. If I didnt shoot swift bullets i would shoot Bear Claws, they are awesome also.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I love the TSX's. I've never had a problem with them.

A bullet I would recommend staying away from are the Remington Core-Lokt's.
    Never shot a bear with them but I had a .300 WinMag that loved factory 180 Core-Lokt. Before I got into reloading I killed a lot of deer and elk with them and always had great performance, recovered a few and the weight retention and expansion was picture perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast