Thread: Any .375 Ruger shooters here?

Default Any .375 Ruger shooters here?

I been looking for a .375 Ruger Alaskan. How do you like them? What shooting distance on deer, black bears? What bullets do you folks like the best?

Quote Originally Posted by northernkid View Post
    I been looking for a .375 Ruger Alaskan. How do you like them? What shooting distance on deer, black bears? What bullets do you folks like the best?
    I like mine quite a bit... you can flatten out trajectory quite a bit by handloading lighter bullets but it shoots flat enough with factory fodder for my needs. Mine prefered the 300gr.RN bullets and shot 3 into under an inch. I love the carbine length in the brush.

Don't know where you're at but if deer and black bear are all you're looking after I'd likely go with something way lighter.

Great moose gun though.

I've tried Accubonds, Partitions, Game Kings and TSX's, it likes them all. Both the 270gr and 300gr TSX's shoot very well.

I've yet to kill anything but paper with my Alaskan but a black bear hunt is on the horizon.

I've run numbers with 235gr bullets but have no need for that combination with my 375. It should run about 3000-3100fps and shoot pretty flat. Over kill on deer but it should still work fine on bear.

I have the Alaskan model with the 20" barrel, I shoot the 270 grain Hornady sp out of it. I really have no need for a premium bullet for deer and elk. Besides the Hornady's are cheaper, shoot great, and perform very well on critters. The 375 would be a great deer cartridge with very minimal meat loss. Remember, you can't overkill a deer.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I'm expecting the Howa version within a few weeks.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Default watch out for factory ammo

I posted a thread on the handloading sight about the Hornady factory ammo bullets failures. The rifle seems to shoot good, you just have slim pickin's for factory ammo. If you handload, the tougher bullets should do real well.

I have the African and I love it. I shoot the 270gr hornady sp and it shoots great for the first 4 rounds and then starts spreading out; only takes 1 shot to take down pretty much anything in AK as long as it goes where it is supposed to. I wouldn't hesitate a 200 yd shot on deer, moose, elk or caribou. I would keep shots under 100 for the dangerous stuff though and probably step up to a 300gr for dangerous stuff as well. BTW, killed 2 moose with mine and both dropped in their tracks.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~