Thread: Albino deer

Default Albino deer

Has anyone heard of a historic reference to Russian sailors seeing Albino deer on the Alexander Archipelago?

Thanks.

Default Nothing Historic

Looks like a kid in Hoonah shot one not too long ago.

http://www.cryptozoology.com/gallery...re.php?id=1760

That link also says they are more common on Admiralty Island.

White or partly white deer are real common on the San Juan Islands in WA due to severe inbreeding. I don't know if they're true albinos (pink eyes), but the white business is real common in a genetic train wreck like the San Juans.

One of my former students shot a piebald (sp?) last season out on POW.

Default Not a true albino

My buddy and I ran into a 2 last August in Souteast AK 1 just happened to be a buck. I have heard of 1 true albino being shot it is at the taxidermist in Sitka. This deer is more of a color phase.

I shot one a few years back on the NE end of Admiralty Is.

I'm still kicking myself for not caping the thing out.

I talked the the guys at F&G and they said it's a recessive gene - similar to the genetic aberration that causes the glacier bear.

Shaferab,

They don't cite their source, but the ADF&G management reports for mountain goats on Baranof begin with the following bit of background (from pg. 55 of: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/pubs/...goa02mt_se.pdf):

Mountain goat populations were established on Baranof Island in 1923 when 18 animals were transplanted from Tracy Arm in Game Management Unit 1 (Burris and McKnight, 1973). Goats were not believed to have been indigenous to the island, although early written Russian history is confusing with references to "white deer."
    Without knowing which Russian historical accounts they mean, it's hard to say whether those "white deer" were on Baranof or elsewhere in the Alexander Archipelago. That makes it tough to know whether they were writing about a mountain goat population on Baranof that later died or was hunted out, or actual white-phase or albino deer on Admiralty.

Given the photos of genuinely white deer, I'd guess that's what the Russians saw. But Sitka Tlingit elders talk about their grandparents' stories of gathering mountain goat wool on the island, so it's tough to tell. You could get in touch with the editor at the Division of Wildlife Conservation if you're interested - I'll bet they'd have some more resources.

The Russian explorers were here a LOT earlier than 1923.

Sorry, L.G. I didn't mean to muddle my writing.

I meant that the Russians, writing at the end of the 1700s, might have seen mountain goats on Baranof and called them white deer. Those populations might have died out naturally or gotten hunted out some time between Russian explorers' early writings and the transplants from Tracy Arm in the 1920s.

But it's also possible the Russians saw actual white-phase or albino deer, since we know they exist. I didn't mean to say Russian explorers were writing at the time of the transplants.

shaferab: If the editor at ADF&G doesn't have a source on those Russian writings, you might try the Alaska State Libraries, Archives, and Museums. They have a startling amount of the collections online: http://lam.alaska.gov/

I've seen one picture of a white faced deer, but no truly albino blacktails. Deer was killed by the son of forum member a couple years ago IIRC.

It would take a LOT of vodka to mistake a Mt Goat for a Blacktail.