Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you all wear under waders in July in AK

Default What do you all wear under waders in July in AK

Ive got a trip planned for a week come the end of July. Going to be fishing from Sheep Cr./Montana Cr. down to Homer.

I am wondering what to wear under my waders.While fishing here in Idaho, I normally wear a pair of wool socks with some flannel-type pants and then a t-shirt with a long sleeve over top and always carry a jacket.

I thought about wearing the same with the exception of putting on a light thermal bottom as well. I'm not sure... I've been told the water temps are much colder than the streams and rivers here in Idaho. Water temps in the rivers around here are about 40-50 degrees (I'm guessing).

I will be prepared for a variety of weather conditions, but would like some advice or recommendations.

thanks

MC

Default To much!

All I wear in my waders is either boxers or shorts. I don't wear pants or wool socks or anything, only in the winter do I do that. Especcially on those streams you're going to be doing a lot of walking around and hiking, if you have on wool socks and cold gear you're gonna be roasting. Granted it might get a little cold on your skin after a while, but nothing a 5 minute break can't fix. I've worn jeans too, but they aren't as forgiving when hiking around.

Lightbulb Depends on Your Tolerance Threshold

Some anglers deal with the chilly temps of Alaska's rivers better than others. Personally, I'd rather be too warm (which rarely occurs), rather than too cold. My preference is to be prepared for the worst-case scenario and dress in layers.

Keep in mind that summer temperatures in Southcentral Alaska tend to be cool with highs in the low to mid 60s. If fishing in the mornings or evenings, temps can drop significantly lower.

As far as attire, I'm quite comfortable wearing a cheap pair of base-layer, lycra-type pants and two pair of wool socks under breathable chest waders.

I've purchased base-layer pants at Target, Wal-Mart and Costco in Anchorage for around $20. In fact, there's a decent offer online right now at:

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Duo-D.../dp/B002VZ8482

For remaining clothing, I like to wear a long-sleeved tee shirt with a short-sleeved shirt over that. Then I usually put on a sweatshirt. That may be all I need, but sometimes a fleece and/or lightweight rain jacket is necessary as well.

And of course, don't forget to bring a hat to keep the head warm and shade the eyes the elements. Baseball caps are good for showing off your allegiance to a favorite pro or college sports team -- and a good conversation starter with fellow fishermen while standing thigh-deep in Alaska's icy flowing waters.

I am used to Wyoming rivers and never wear anything under my waders. On my June trips to Alaska I have always worn a pair of 100% poly wading under ware with foot straps under my breathables. I alternate two pair to make sure they have dried of moisture from possible sweat. In September I also add light thermals. I am always glad I have brought them along. I have always fished the Alaskan Penn. so rivers and weather may be slightly warmer in Central AK. Layer accordingly on uppers.

I like a pretty little yellow sun dress.

This is all too easy, whatever seems fit to the weather that day...........

I know, I just over simplified the topic for this forum
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Well, it all depends. What color are your waders?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

in the weather we are currently having? Wear???????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Commando all the way.

Just kidding - I wear lightweight (R1) Patagonia tights and Poly socks throughout the year. If I change up for winter, I just add a capilene baselayer to both.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    in the weather we are currently having? Wear???????
    I just step outside and see whats happening

Thats what I do and it works great. The secret is out!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Also, depending on your fishing location in July, do away with wearing them at all

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Also, depending on your fishing location in July, do away with wearing them at all
    hey thats what i said!!!!

a few hours of that and i look like a sams club Roisteree chicken
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What about this time of year... we're doing a fly out trip from Ketchikan next week for cutthroats. What kind of air and water temps can we expect this time of year for that area?

Sapper Undies

With a UXO (unexploded ordnance) sign LOL

Well I see most of my fishing buddies have it covered here with the "awesome" comments. I go in anything from a Banana Hammock to a thermal Banana Hammock depending on the weather. If it is a total blue bird day the..... Oh wait I cant say that on here.

On a serious note. I have been in just shorts to sweatpants. Each day is different.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I like a pretty little yellow sun dress.

You canadians need to step away from the beer. Bring that dress to fishaplooza. I cant wait to take a picture of that
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Well I see most of my fishing buddies have it covered here with the "awesome" comments. I go in anything from a Banana Hammock to a thermal Banana Hammock depending on the weather. If it is a total blue bird day the..... Oh wait I cant say that on here.

On a serious note. I have been in just shorts to sweatpants. Each day is different.
    its a good thing Pigmy bananas come in bunches eh?

meet on face book here

oh my....:P

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Breathable waders, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mlchris2 View Post
    ...I am wondering what to wear under my waders.... MC
    ...Not neoprenes?

Sometimes the water is cold if you're in it awhile. I pack some fleece bottoms. Nice if you need 'em.

Have a good trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast