Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eklutna tailrace

Default Eklutna tailrace

How is the tailrace doing?? Any Catches??

I haven't seen anything or anyone for that matter catch anything out of there yet, I have however heard a story of one being caught but you know how stories go...

We spent a couple hours out there a few days ago and it was completely barren. Didn't see a thing, nobody so much as had a nibble. I'd pretty confidently say I don't think there was a single king even in there.

Year after year out there we see this. I don't know why people keep trying. I'll reserve my future Eklutna trips for silvers, which actually show up.

I fished it a couple years ago and saw a lot of kings in there
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Ok, I should clarify a bit.

Yes, sometimes some show up, but then they won't hit anything. So they swim around until they die.

That's just been my experience, anyway. I've heard of lots of folks who have caught them out there. I just never have, and I've tried. A lot.

Silvers are a different story, though.

I will agree with you. I have fished it for kings a couple times and although there were plenty of them there, I couldn't seem to hook up. Nor did any of the mulitude of people fishing for them at the time, so I'll give you that one. I have caught a couple silvers though so you might be on to something there! I have heard by the way, that most of the kings are caught very early in the morning or late at night
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

They will hit on lures sometimes.
    I had a big one on the first time i moved here. Then my line broke......

But i think people eventually end up snagging them, I have seen it happen a lot.

There is way too much people on the shore fishing. I need space ha

Yeah, the silvers like it early, too. Crack of light, early. I basically do a flip technique with a coho fly. I've had pretty decent luck, and actually caught probably just as many reds as silvers doing this just downstream of the mouth.

I have caught kings from the tailrace, 1 or 2 each year, though never this early. They are catch-able in a very legal fashion with the right tackle and timing.

I do spend much more time there in pursuit of silvers though .

I've fished there a few times but the only thing I caught was a buz from the cooler. It is a good place to go if you want to toss a line and drink beer. My experience with catching fish there has not been good. I have seen a lot more action with silvers there than kings (at least fish being caught).

I've seen kings caught out of Eklutna... mostly by some lucky kid who just happens to be in the right place at the right time...

but they are there.. usually.

if the don't show then that pretty much definitively proves there's something wrong out in the ocean... being an artificial hatchery run it can't be overfishing or river habitat degradation.

Default Sunday

Planning on spending the day out there this Sunday. I will post up how it is when I get back.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

I stop by almost daily on my way home from work. Water levels are down, it is extremely glacial (silty) and nothing more than some small dollys have been taken out from what I've seen.

Default no kings yet

Spent the morning and day out there today. Was a really nice day to just be relaxing in the sun but there were definetly no kings around. Did not see anything roll, jump, or other wise. About ten or so other anglers out there off and on through out the morning with the same results.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Got pretty excited today when I stopped by and saw a fileted out carcass at the cleaning table...turns out it was from elsewhere.

Default Eklutna

Was there last night. Nothing. I did manage to retrieve some nice vibrex and pixies from the logs since the water is so low.

Any update? I'd like to head there tomorrow if the weather stays crappy.

Any catches there????

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post

if the don't show then that pretty much definitively proves there's something wrong out in the ocean... being an artificial hatchery run it can't be overfishing or river habitat degradation.
    Then explain the huge runs on the Columbia? I wonder how many fish get confused and run up the eklutna river instead
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Was there long enough this afternoon to see that nothing was being caught.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast