Thread: No more sunsets

Default No more sunsets

These Caribou wont be seeing anymore sunsets, and as of today, we wont have one here untill July 11

Spent this last evening watching 2 or 3,000 Caribou go by, and gave the Mosin a warm up. Picked out 2 and let them have it, and before we had them down slope to work and let others have a go, there were 50 more standing at the ridge line.
    Together , over the course of 9 hours the 6 of us got 20 Caribou down and butcher'd, hauled to the river and taken to town....... with only one getting close to "Getting away" wounded but he decided to turn back to his now dead pals, only to run straight at us in a Banzai charge and collapsed into a heap when a neighbor finnished the job he started, and that Caribou was ALOT closer than ours were......~~LOL!!~~ and bazillions more were mozin' on by.
    That wont last long as they dont have ice to take them on this trail North and will have to swim the lake or go around Selawik way.........

2 for the freezer, 3 for the drying rack.......
    Very soon, they will dry up nicely, on the wifes new fish camp across the river. Built that incase we stay to build the addition on the house this summer, with some fishing and hunting around the Delta here. Should be different, but cool all the same.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

What rounds are you shooting for bou/bear? Got a buddy who would like to know. He has a 90/30 model.

Czeck 147grn FMJ "silvertip" Lightball.

Besides being wicked accurate, it tumbles on impact.
    Having a steel core, it holds together plenty good and blows big holes on exit.

Try it.

I should mention tha we had "company" in the form of two different Black Bears who came along behind us, an Adult and an almost grown cub, abou 2/3's the size of Mamma.
    Im sure they loved the guts and if I can, I'll be getting a close up of 'em posted, if I can on the computer, as my focus wouldnt focus at long range (Kids camera) However, they woluldn't come the last 200 yards to shake our hands, but were patiently waiting for us to leave ~~LOL!!~~
    I think they even waved "Good by" when we left~~LOL!!~~

Thumbs up

I can't handle all the work you put out but I sure could handle that fresh meat.

Yea, he has some of the 147gr stuff. Have you tried any of the 203gr on anything?

I have tryed Barnaul and winchester as well as Milsurp heavy ball in that grain.
    I have not found them nearly as accurate in my M-39 as the Czeck, but they certainly are worth using, accuray wise. The Czeck works well in most all my Mosins, but the heavy stuff can be a bit inconsistant, as it strings verticly with most of my Mosins. The Winchester (europen contract stuff for MG's in the mid East) is the worst. White box'd. I shoot 'em up on Bunnies and save the brass so I can make low velocity "Small game" rounds with 10grns. Unique and some cast bullets.
    Barnul is dirty.I think all Russian manufactured ammo is smoky,dirty. Leaves a grey coat on my bores, but wipes right off. I just dont use it in an SVT-40 or PSL to keep the gas systems happy, and heavy ball isnt good for them anyhoo.
    I have a 91/30 and an M-44 that do better with heavy ball than the light ball, and those two eat them up and spit 'em straight enough that I keep em paired up with those two rifles.