Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What (most bang for the buck) .30-06 action?

Default What (most bang for the buck) .30-06 action?

Okay, I've made up my mind to build a .30-06 from an action, or barrelled action (and probably a very basic synthetic stock). This will be a project that my Dad (83) and I will create together. Very basic.

If YOU were going to build up a 30-06 (from scratch) what exactly would you use, and who would be your best sources for the action or barrelled action? Or would you just try to sporterize an old military -06? Or would you maybe convert something else? Mauser? It's Gotta be 30-06 when I'm finished...whatever I start with.

So, what MOST BASIC action/barreled action should I get Dad started with? Does anyone have any good advice/sources?

Default Building the $300 bolt-action .30-06 "dream" gun...from scratch?

Is it possible? What would YOU do? I gotta get Dad started on this soon.

I'm trying to figure out the bast place to get started (not a bunch of $$$) on starting this thing....just a good action choice. But, it's time to get this (Dad's) project underway! Once I decide on the action/barrelled action...I can also start carving up a future "custom wooden stock" that will just be a seperate (my own) project...at the same time, to be presented/installed later. Hand checked and scrolled.

But, right now I should get Dad working on the action, and a basic synth stock setup. Just not sure where to start.

Dang it Az ya got me! You and your dad working on this together? Let me look around the shop and see what I can come up with to help you get started. What if all I can find is one that is already complete? Seems to me there is a real clean older 06 in a Remington 700 ADL, I think there is a Bruno 98 in 06 that someone put together sitting in the corner! What fancys your liking?

Ruger action, (strong Mauser style), Timney trigger, Schneider barrel, McMillan stock. Since you're here in AZ and basically my neighbor perhaps you will notice that all the components that I listed are AZ companies. Flagstaff, Phoenix, Payson and Dear Valley.

I would be more than happy to tune up a very good hand load for you as a gift. I currently load for 3 different 30-06's with slight variances for best accuracy in each rifle. Also note that all components are made in USA, very important. I would go with a 22" barrel, heavy varmint tapper with a recessed target crown and a VX-3 Leupold 4.5-14x50 scope with a duplex recital.

Oops, I just went back and read your $300.00 dollar comment, no way I can get it done for that.

What is your dad partial too as in component parts for a rifle build? bet he has a few preferences of his own for actions, barrels, triggers, stocks, recoil pads, lop, trigger pull weight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    What is your dad partial too as in component parts for a rifle build? bet he has a few preferences of his own for actions, barrels, triggers, stocks, recoil pads, lop, trigger pull weight, etc.
    Those are the most important questions. In fact, helping him search for the answers would be a big part of the fun.

I'm contemplating a couple of builds in the near future, and since I'm a lefty I've decided to go with the Savage. Can't get more basic than that. Not real fancy and not my favorite, but solid, and dang, the price is right. I can probably build two of them for what it would cost me to build one with a "better" action.

Wink Are there a lot of dead horses in AZ?

Didn't we already answer this question? IMO you can't beat a commercial mauser. The only thing cheaper might be a Savage, but they're not in the same league.

Pick your poison:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171693842
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171392859
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171645512
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171527692
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171691680

Buy a Remmie.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default $300 limit???

I'm trying to figure out the bast place to get started (not a bunch of $$$) on starting this thing....just a good action choice. But, it's time to get this (Dad's) project underway! Once I decide on the action/barrelled action...I can also start carving up a future "custom wooden stock" that will just be a seperate (my own) project...at the same time, to be presented/installed later. Hand checked and scrolled.

AZ,
    I can relate to the money issues well - I have worked and scratched all my life to get what I have and one thing I have found repeatedly is every time I bought something less than what I really wanted it left me a bit empty. I usually got rid of whatever it was in short order and found a way to get what I really wanted in the first place. I would not build my "dream gun" with parts I was not happy with just to save a few dollars?
    Maybe you can find what you want in a beat up "quality" gun and rebuild it ?

If you are on a budget then I'd be looking at the 700 action. Cheap and mass-produced and easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Dang it Az ya got me! You and your dad working on this together? Let me look around the shop and see what I can come up with to help you get started. What if all I can find is one that is already complete? Seems to me there is a real clean older 06 in a Remington 700 ADL, I think there is a Bruno 98 in 06 that someone put together sitting in the corner! What fancys your liking?
    Shoot buddy, anything's fine.

I can't make it too easy though...cuz this all started over a gun that he gave me, and I foolishly traded away...and I've never heard the last of it.

So, now..since I'm older/retired...it's time to "pay him back"!

I figure what better way to make up for my mistake than to have us build/assemble/re-stock a nice 30-06 bolt gun together (and save money at the same time!). I traded away a .300Wtby, but that's almost too much for Arizona/Lower 48 (and he is 83)...and a good 30-06 will be fine for one or two more "guided" Alaska hunts in my life.

So, I'm thinking I'll get him (us) started on the action assembly and I'll build a nice (laminated) stock (like walnut or ?) to put it in, with some nice scrollwork. And by the time we get the barrelled action all figured out...I should have the stock finished, and can present the "custom" stock to him for bedding. So it will be "our rifle" built together. THEN I'll never have to hear about trading the old Wtby away again, AND we'll have a few more priceless memories. And a nice 30-06 with REALLY GOOD karma.

But I have to figure out the action choice first...to know what stock to get started on.

Cool, huh? This is my Dad and Mom(RIP, last year) in Anchorage about 1952, so you can see why I go out of my way to do what I do. The childhood they gave me in Alaska in the 60's and 70's was the BEST!
    I owe them EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Didn't we already answer this question? IMO you can't beat a commercial mauser. The only thing cheaper might be a Savage, but they're not in the same league.

Pick your poison:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171693842
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171392859
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171645512
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171527692
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=171691680
    No, I hear ya Bro, but for this one I want to either start with a new action, or find one from someone that I trust. This is all about good karma on the rifle...and so no Gunbroker for this one. Midway, maybe. etc.

I don't care if I have to spend a bit of $$$, it just has to have the right background to include lots of input from the folks here. Good (trusted) sources, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Ruger action, (strong Mauser style), Timney trigger, Schneider barrel, McMillan stock. Since you're here in AZ and basically my neighbor perhaps you will notice that all the components that I listed are AZ companies. Flagstaff, Phoenix, Payson and Dear Valley.

I would be more than happy to tune up a very good hand load for you as a gift. I currently load for 3 different 30-06's with slight variances for best accuracy in each rifle. Also note that all components are made in USA, very important. I would go with a 22" barrel, heavy varmint tapper with a recessed target crown and a VX-3 Leupold 4.5-14x50 scope with a duplex recital.

Oops, I just went back and read your $300.00 dollar comment, no way I can get it done for that.
    Great post Marshall (and EVERYBODY!).

I was just throwing that $300 figure out there so you folks get my meaning. Even $300 for the right action would be fine...just not a "Cadillac/$1200+"...but more like an inexpensive (rugged/bush) mauser type of the 30-06 variety.

Default Howa

What about a Howa barreled action from Legacy Sports
    30-06 MSRP $389.00

http://www.legacysports.com/products...aractions.html

Not sure if they sell just the action alone, maybe others on the forum could answer that.

I'd also go with a good mauser. I find some real good deals on some of the other hunting forums and even gunbrokers. My latest buy (last year) was a 1912 styr (mauser action). I'm gonna build a 7x57 as soon as funds mysteriously show, anyways when I took the rifle out of the wood, it looked like brand new. I think I paid less than $200 off of gunbrokers for it. Good deals are out there.

That BRNO thats post above, if its in good shape, I'd be all over that.

Originally Posted by marshall

Ditto, great post
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Ruger action, (strong Mauser style)...
    Can this be had (Ruger mauser style) in just a barrelled action?

I'm hoping to work something great with EKC, but as a second choice does one try to find a Ruger Barreled action on gunbroker? See, I hate to do that.

I'd rather find something from someone I trust (Like EKC) or perhaps a "new" 798 type mauser action...but I don't know who the TRUSTED sources are to find such a thing. Heck, even a good old 1903springfield to "sporterize" would be fine (if the 03 can be cut down to a 22" Bush/Truck gun).

Or something like that. This will (hopefully) be an inexpensive "hand build"...bush gun, and not a museum/safe queen. The mauser type action seems well priced on gunbroker...but I'm hoping for a better/trusted source(s) from folks who have built rifles around barrelled actions before.

Not just for the action, but good SOURCES for all the components necessary to bed it, etc. But the action has to come first, to decide what I have to do for customizing a stock for it. I'm hoping I can find the action itself (mauser/1903 style of some kind) and get started for less than $300. I have heard good stuff about Midway.com, and that could be a possibility.
    Someone also mentioned SARCO.

BUT, No $1800/cadillac custom actions. I think EKC may have the right idea for me.

I'm calling this: "Project Truck Gun".

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Can this be had (Ruger mauser style) in just a barrelled action?

I'm hoping to work something great with EKC, but as a second choice does one try to find a Ruger Barreled action on gunbroker? See, I hate to do that.

I'd rather find something from someone I trust (Like EKC) or perhaps a "new" 798 type mauser action...but I don't know who the TRUSTED sources are to find such a thing. Heck, even a good old 1903springfield to "sporterize" would be fine (if the 03 can be cut down to a 22" Bush/Truck gun).

Or something like that. This will (hopefully) be an inexpensive "hand build"...bush gun, and not a museum/safe queen. The mauser type action seems well priced on gunbroker...but I'm hoping for a better/trusted source(s) from folks who have built rifles around barrelled actions before.

Not just for the action, but good SOURCES for all the components necessary to bed it, etc. But the action has to come first, to decide what I have to do for customizing a stock for it. I'm hoping I can find the action itself (mauser/1903 style of some kind) and get started for less than $300. I have heard good stuff about Midway.com, and that could be a possibility.
    Someone also mentioned SARCO.

BUT, No $1800/cadillac custom actions. I think EKC may have the right idea for me.

I'm calling this: "Project Truck Gun".
    If you are going to rebarrel and action it does not matter who owned it and you could find a used Ruger rifle cheap and use the action. I really do like them and my favorite 06 is a Ruger Hawkeye and I have some custom 06 rifles but I like my Ruger Hawkeye more. I will finish about 6 months of load work for the 30-06 in a month or so and will post the results and my Ruger Hawkeye is doing very well with a 22" factory barrel and it is accurate indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Folks, EKC has got me squared away...

I believe EKC has got my project started, and a sincere thank you to him. This is a person who would not accept payment for this, and told me to just "pay it foreward" when I can. Does that tell you what kind of character exists (EKC), with many folks on this forum.
    I will do my best to pass the Karma foreward!!!

I also think this is a good start on a 30-06 thread that someone else may have a similar project idea...so keep posting folks!

There have been many good ideas, so keep it up. There may be a young (financially strapped) person here who'd like to piece an inexpensive -06 together, and this thread is a GREAT start for them.

A couple good suggestions also made on another forum that were good starting places: (also good just to learn about your typical bolt guns differences)
    http://e-sarcoinc.com/riflesparts.aspx
    http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a3_parts.html
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=913933
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=617147
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=425675

Default Springfield 1903 or A3

Shop around a bit and you can pick up a nice sporterized 1903 or A3 with a good barrel in it for $300 or less - I do it fairly frequently. A sporterized 03 already drilled and tapped has no collector value so they go fairly reasonable. Often times they already have a low scope safety and good trigger in them.

Stocks and parts for these abound. When you finish you will have a fine controlled feed rifle with all steel forged parts that will never break or let you down.

The 1917 Enfields are a second choice but hard to find with good barrels in them. I bought two nice ones at the last Palmer gunshow for $225 and $250 - one was partially sporterized - I bought it for the orginal barrel and the was all military except the stock had been cut.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast