Thread: Where can a boat deprived crabber throw a pot?

Default Where can a boat deprived crabber throw a pot?

Readers might notice that I have been reveling my ignorance about all things Dungeness for the last few weeks. I have since traveled from my home in Fairbanks to Haines where I managed to trick one nice sized Dungi into my trap. I put him on ice and had him home within 12 hours. I made up some salt water and attempted to re-introduce him to an aquatic environment. He did not survive the night, but since the water was very cold I didnít hesitate to eat him for breakfast.
    Unfortunately this experience has only fueled my interest in catching more.
    Can I expect (hope) to find Dungeness crabs in most Alaskan shallows?
    I was told in Haines that some have had good catches by setting pots from shore at low tide. Might this work in Valdez or on the Kenai?

might work around here... but there is no open season.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Who knows the rules on Dungeness? In Haines I understood my Alaska fishing license allows me to posses 20 crab with no closed season. Or at least this is how the Fairbanks F&G staff have me understand.
    Is Homer under different regulation?

No open season on the tasty dungies here in south central.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default just wondering

I'm curious...why is there no open season on dungies in southcentral?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Thumbs up Free Crabbing

Homer spit porta potties are open to crabbing year round.....

( i know dave..... i know.... )
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I'm curious...why is there no open season on dungies in southcentral?
    I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than this, but because people caught them all, basically.

I remember when I was a teenager we'd go about 2 minutes out of the Homer harbor and drop pots. Within several hours, we'd have all we could keep. Suddenly they disappeared and F&G said...wha? uh oh....no more crabbing.

I don't even recall it being a decline, it was like someone just turned the crab switch to "off" and they were gone.

k-bay is at the near maximum of the northern range of dungies. it takes a pretty precise and fortunate series of tidal and weather events for there to be a good recruitment.
    also, young dungies are very dependent on eelgrass tidal areas, and many of those have been decimated here. china poot especially has been hammered and much of the prime nursery areas have been destroyed, mostly by clammers. there is an area closed to commercial seiners in china poot that is specifically to protect the eelgrass habitat.
    2 years ago we caught lots of dungies in our tanner pots, but last year they were not to be found, pretty weird, because there were literally hundreds in the pot sometimes and they were of a size that would have become legal this year...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/