Thread: Where are the bears?

Default Where are the bears?

I have had the last two weeks off of work in hopes of spotting and stalking a black bear, with no luck. Due to the warm weather are all the bears now down low in the trees? I have been logging many hours on the Kenai road system and have only seen a few sows and cubs. Is the interior better, meaning are the bears still eating grass shoots above the tree line around Glenallen for example?

I was pretty excited for this spring hunt and was told during the winter to take off the end of May and first of June as they are traditionally the best times for spotting and stalking blackies.

I am willing to drive and put hours into hiking and glassing, but I don't want to drive 4 hours and have the same results. Anybody got any directions to head in or any advice?

Thanks,

Try Hope, glass the hillsides, didnt take me long to spot a nice blackie. Would of put a stalk on him but he was out of distance for me and I already have a bait station running.

Palmer Creek road is open. Just because you don't see them on the first glassing......wait a bit and glass again. They can be in a little riven and pop-up in a second glassing right in the wide open.

Spotted a really nice blackie Fri night 10 1030 pm on Palmer creek rd in Hope. Had I been to that hillside 5 min earlier he would be dead, but he was moving into the timber.

Lower hillsides btw he was at ground level near the creek feeding

Thanks AGL4NOW for the tips but i'm done till next spring.

Brad

Default black bear

Blackstone Bay out of Whittier. Go all the way to the back of the bay on the, I think North side. Its the steep side. Don't go all the way to the glacier though. If you do you went to far. Seen a ton of bears on the hill sides. But keep in mind that it is really steep and tough to climb. I went about 2/3 of the way up the mountain to get one. I think that those
    Blackstone bears have a little sheep or goat in them. For some reason they were all up in the steep nasty rocky areas. But they were there if you can get to them.

good luck

Default Really, WHERE are the Bears???

I just spent a good week and a half up near Sutton (GMU 14) and didn't see anything, I mean NOTHING!!!
    Diamond Marquis

Just came back from camping and I can say for Wrangell anyway the bears are at all the camp sites in of national Forrest. Saw the biggest sow I have ever seen yesterday morning with one small cub,probably swam over from the mainland. Had a real out of the way camping area picked after checking it out friday but sunday morning there was a huge pile of bear poop,much to much for a horse and all fresh sedge content right between the fire pit and picnic table. Also saw a few nice bucks and heard some wolves.

Default I feel your pain.

Hope, Kenai, Cooper Landing, Portage, Whittier, and up and down the seward highway. Not a single bear. I spent so much time staring at the mountains through binoculars that I'll probably spend the next 3 days cross eyed. I did see some skat and some tracks off of palmer lake road next to the creek. Would've been nice to see a bear in the tracks though... not so much the skat.

Came back from Whittier on Sunday and caught one out and about at the junction of the Sterling and Sewerd highway. Would have been an easy stalk but too beat from the 4 day bear trip in the PWS. They are out there but it takes some/lots of glassing, patience, going cross eyed and maybe some good ol' luck. If you need some new ideas I would be happy to lend a hand, just shoot me a PM. Good luck to all...

They all moved to Anchorage and Eagle River. Just set up your stand in the front yard and watch the sidewalks.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Ha, ha, I think you are right! I've been down to the Kenai 3 times and haven't seen a bear. Open the Anch Daily News and all kinds of problem bears around town.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    They all moved to Anchorage and Eagle River. Just set up your stand in the front yard and watch the sidewalks.

Default Problem this year

There were two difficulties we had this year and the first was the snow in our area lasted longer than normal and by the time it cleared enough to land the leaves were already coming out. 2nd and a bigger problem this year was that moon cycle(bears did not come out until 8:30 and were out of sight by 730 in the morning. I think hunting is the best from the 15th to 25th of May, after that its to hard to see them. Just my 2 cents.

Terry

Default moon and some feedback..

had a much harder time spotting the bear this year also.. numbers were down this year too.. Last year I saw roughly 160 bears in 5 days of hunting PWS.. this year I went a week earlier and saw 15 the first 3 days, came home for a day.. went back out for 4 and seen 21 more, came back for a day.. went back out and the 3rd time out only seen 5 in 3 days.. so roughly 40-50 bears this year in twice the hunting days.. everyone got one minus my oldest daughter.. she missed two different times so I told her she was done..

here are a few of the times some of the bears were killed

16th at 2200 spotted at 2100ish (sea level)
    17th at 1114 spotted at 1030 1231'
    22nd at 1104 spotted at 0930 1319' (son shot it)
    22nd at 1808 spotted at 1709 1181' (daughter shot it)
    27th at 1021 spotted at 0920ish

All the bears we saw were roughly @ 0730-1100 and again starting at 5pm until 9pm.

All bears killed but 1 were at 12-1400' elevation.. (above spruce and below deep snow).. in alder patches, near creeks with fresh water...= grass and sprouting skunk cabbage.. the 1 on the 17th just left its den.. and took about 10 steps.. BAM.. dead bear

I noticed too out their that the moon was up early.. and FULL.. = not so good.. but seen allot of activity mid day.. 1000-1100.

Are the bears their? Yes.. harder to spot with the thick vegetation and canopy.. grass is growing in the trees and alder patched form the extended sunlight and nice weather.. all a bad recipe for easier hunting.. but then again, thats why they call it hunting.. if it was easy, everyone would do it and everyone would be killing bears..

Default Good to hear I am not alone!

So it has been tough going for others, I thought I was going blind/crazy. I spent several days on the Resurrection trail out of Hope. Drove up and down the Kenai and only saw a couple sows. I am taking the zodiac out today to try out the new motor on Nancy Lake. Had the great idea of launching it out of Whittier, but have been hearing some horror stories from some guys. What do you think? 12 ft. zodiac with a honda 20hp what type of seas should I really try and tackle? Should I just stick to lakes and hope for the best?

I think I will be hard pressed for the wife to allow me to buy another toy this summer.

Default PWS

Go to Whittier go 50 miles either north or south I will not specify....... Bears everywhere including 4 in our camp alone in 2 days, cruise the beaches they are all over......thats the good news. Bad news is as of right now you have 23 hrs until season closes