Thread: DIPAC Report

Default DIPAC Report

Talked to a guy cleaning a 26-27# fish at one of the cleaning tables. He said he lost a bigger one yesterday.

I didn't catch a single one boat fishing in May. Gonna have to start slumming it.

The kid's up Windfall for the sockeye opener. I will be tight-lipped if they are actually in.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Talked to a guy cleaning a 26-27# fish at one of the cleaning tables. He said he lost a bigger one yesterday.

I didn't catch a single one boat fishing in May. Gonna have to start slumming it.

The kid's up Windfall for the sockeye opener. I will be tight-lipped if they are actually in.
    Don't you Juneau fishermen know how to catch a fish!? You can always come on down and I'll take you out.

I'm having trouble concentrating b/c I'm thinking about the weekend and how much fun it's going to be slaying the kings again.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Don't you Juneau fishermen know how to catch a fish!? You can always come on down and I'll take you out.
    Just cuz you went out and got 6 the other day you have to rub it in.

I used to know how to catch kings. Lost my mojo (temporarily) I think Dr. Evil did it.

Maybe I need some Mojo Mud?

Default I'm moving

I wouldn't flaunt those kings too much. That last round of pics was almost enough to make me move down. I figure by this fall you'll have a new neighbor beggin' for a boat ride.

Default I tried

I tried DIPAC on last night's high tide. I was one fish caught. It seems like 1 or 2 are getting caught on each tide. Still slow, but there's fish.

What's the preferred method of trolling in Juneau these days? Flasher/herring?

Default Couldn't tell you

I actually don't get out trolling much here. When I have it's been with a flasher and herring. I'm a sucker for banana weights I just like the way they fish. I'm also a big fan of cut plugs. But most of my trolling happens in Petersburg.

Walked out at break and a guy was leaving with a 15#er. Tide is too low mid-day this week. Early morning or evening this week.

What I fish on the boat. Love the #2 Abe & Al with a whole herring trolled pretty slow. Just a nice steady throb on the pole tip.

Will run a whole behind a bananna weight close to the surface. I don't really like hot spots in the spring. Need to troll them faster so it messes up anything else.

I don't really like cut plugs except for mooching. Try as I might, I can never get them to roll in a big loop. Alway like a spinner blade on axis. A buddy showed the rigging for a nice big roll, but I can't just seem to train those herring to perform.

Default Cut plugs

I always fish my cut plugs in a tight roll. usually I only do cut plug with fresh herring. In Petersburg the harbor is full of them so we just jig what we need on our way out of the harbor.

My best producing rig has always been a cut-plug/dodger setup. Flashers and hoochies are a close second.

Default They are coming

Went twice this week to look around, Saw hookups both times only stayed about 20 minutes each time. So the Kings are at Dipac. Each time was halfway through a rising tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainman View Post
    Went twice this week to look around, Saw hookups both times only stayed about 20 minutes each time. So the Kings are at Dipac. Each time was halfway through a rising tide.

Cool Thanks for the report. Might have to head that way this week.
    Liberals are to me what dog crap is to the bottom of my shoe!

No DIPAC reports for 2 weeks? Inquiring minds want to know - is nothing happening, or is everybody so busy hauling in fish they don't have the time/energy to post? I'll be in Juneau in a week, so I am curious.

Big_E

Big E
    I was up there june 18-28 , we fished in the channel off north Douglas , It was pretty good , I think you might be a littel late for kings (not sure ) If the kings arnt around , go beat up on the pinks there a blast on a fly rod or light tackle . Chums should be pretty thick by then.
    nor cal

Nor Cal,

Thanks for the update. I plan to fish there on the morning of July 12 while waiting out the tide before running out to Cross Sound. I wasn't expecting kings that late; chums and pinks will do just fine.

Big_E