Thread: Salmon - June or August

Default Salmon - June or August

Planning on renting an RV and visiting various places strictly for fishing. Only definite plan is to charter for halibut in either Homer or Seward. Also want the option to salmon fish from the shore. I believe July is the optimal time, however, I am limited to June or August. Based on all your expert knowledge, can someone provide recommendations which month would be better, the timeframe of the month, and best areas to target?

Thank you kindly.

I believe August would be the best choice. If you have a motorhome you can fish silvers and pinks on all the parks highway streams (if you coming that far) The problem with June is there is only Kings and they are not that plentiful

Cool Profish-n-Sea Charters for your Halibut Trip A+++++

For your Halibut fishing you'll literally be missing the boat (and some big Halibut) if you don't book a trip with Profish-n-Sea charters out of Seward, Alaska. I've fished with Steve Zernia (owner) and Kevin (one of his Captains) too many times to count and can honestly say that I've never been disappointed. Profish-n-Sea ALWAYS tries to put you on big Halibut...Always. Many charter operators will promise you a shot at nice fish and then head for the nearest chicken (little halibut) hole and call it good because all their clients have caught there limit. You will never find Steve, Kevin or Woody purposefully encouraging or taking you to a spot where the biggest fish you'll get is a 20 pounder. Yes, there are some days when the big ones are a bit elusive, but at least Steve is willing to pull anchor and head for another spot...something most charter operators will try their best to avoid doing.

Profish also runs combo trips for Salmon and Halibut throughout the Salmon season and once again you will find, most likely, a nice limit of Salmon and a nice limit of Halibut. So, if you want a great Day or two of Halibut and/or Salmon fishing my money will always be on Profish-n-Sea. And no, I have no vested interest in saying this, it is just my experience on over 20 trips with them. I've fished with the rest, now I stick by the best. It's hard to find an outfit that gives you 110% every single day on the water !

Thumbs up August definitely

I would definitely recommend August. It sounds as though many of the King salmon fisheries will be closed or highly restricted. If they aren't they will probably be crowded, especially if you want to fish from the bank. I would get one of the "HIghway Angler" books and look for streams that will have peaking salmon runs during your trip. The book also tells you how to access areas and even suggested baits. There are a number of good charters in both Seward and Homer but I would book one quickly as spots may already be hard to find on the dates you may want. In August there will be many streams that will have great Silver runs and in some areas you may still be able to catch reds, chums, and pinks as well. Enjoy your trip and please post your results.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    There are a number of good charters in both Seward and Homer but I would book one quickly as spots may already be hard to find on the dates you may want.
    Greg
    Take note of that please. At this time of year charter operators are getting inundated by emails and phone calls and dates are filling up fast. I'll bet some of the bigger and better known operations are already completely booked even for August.

I'd have to say your chances are good either in Seward or Homer. I am biased toward Homer because I live here and my business is here, but I love Seward in August, too. My nickname is "Coho Dave" because during August I'd be doing either one of two things---working, or fishing for coho in Resurrection Bay. One of the advantages to Seward is that the limit inside the bay is 6 coho while in Homer it's only 3. But in my opinion there are better opportunities to fish combo trips without having to run for miles and miles in Homer. I'll probably catch flack for that one, but that's just the way I feel. I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel the opposite. I moved to Homer just for that very reason.

And I'd aim for the middle part of August. I've seen years where things start to taper off pretty quickly toward the end of the month, so right around the second to third week would be a real good time. If you go to Seward the Seward Silver Salmon Derby is going on I think in the 3rd week of the month and you could have a chance to catch a fish that could be worth a lot of money.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

note to "jiheron33": Please put your text to normal. More people might read it.

I'd vote for August. IMO there are more opportunities for fishing and it spreads people out a bit more. Everyone wants a big king, but IMO they are the hardest of the salmon to catch. In August you have reds, silvers, pinks and chums all running. Silver are IMO the most fun fish to catch being as aggressive as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingingDutchman View Post
    Wich one tastes the best and how much to catch one?
    If you ask 10 people which salmon tastes the best you're probably going to get at least 5 different answers. My favorite is "white" king salmon. Some people say that sockeye is the best tasting, but I can't tell much difference between a fresh caught sockeye, silver or king. It also depends a lot on how you treat your fish after you catch it so there are a lot of variables to be taken into consideration. They all taste great to me.

How much it will cost to catch one depends on how you want to go about doing it. Do you mean by yourself or going out on a charter? Charters will run you in the area of $200 a day as a general rule, but there are pretty wide variances in the exact amount.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com