Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor / Deepcreek King troll

Default Anchor / Deepcreek King troll

Can Anyone tell me how the sucess rate is in the saltwater king fishery. Coming back from the slope and was thinking of dragging the boat down to the area for the weekend. Had family down memorial day weekend and reported rivers had really poor fishing.

Default one

One charter that I talked to out of Ninilchik told me that he had taken 7 kings out of 9 trips. While I was there last weekend he went 2 more trips with no kings.

i trolled it for 4-1/2 hours last saturday, nothing, not even a strike. lots of boats out there but "nobody" had a king in the cooler.

Default charter fish

Some people did have kings in the cooler. I saw a charter come in at the top of the hill on both Sat and Sunday with Kings and Butts both. Sunday had 3 kings hanging....

i wouldn't expect another slug of fish to come through until the next set of building tides.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Some people did have kings in the cooler. I saw a charter come in at the top of the hill on both Sat and Sunday with Kings and Butts both. Sunday had 3 kings hanging....
    what were you drinking??? laughing.... jk

Default Crowne Royal Reserve

in the brown suede leather bag!.........

Quote Originally Posted by akwldman View Post
    Can Anyone tell me how the sucess rate is in the saltwater king fishery. Coming back from the slope and was thinking of dragging the boat down to the area for the weekend. Had family down memorial day weekend and reported rivers had really poor fishing.
    Guess I must have just gotten lucky. Here's what we got today right near the south Stariski marker:

From left to right---15 lbs., 25 lbs. and 7 lbs. and also from left to right, Wes, Gary and Andy Whitish.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Tuesday we ended up with two nice halibut and two small feeder kings, fishing the north Anchor River saltwater zone. No other kings seen caught. By small I mean around 8-10lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Tuesday we ended up with two nice halibut and two small feeder kings, fishing the north Anchor River saltwater zone. No other kings seen caught. By small I mean around 8-10lbs.
    You just have to poke around enough to find them. Here's one we got around the "green cabin" (south of the south Anchor marker) on Tuesday. This hen is about 25 lbs.

We also got a small "jack" that my client wanted to keep and also one about 9 lbs. And as you can see we got plenty of butt, too. Here's a picture of our total catch. You can see the smaller kings in there somewhere:

i just heard that the anchor river closure has been extended to 2 miles.
    also that the kenai and kasilof have had EO restrictions imposed.
    maybe there are already threads addressing this, but i just got home and gotta go....
    hey muttley, didja gat your sensor fixed?
    cliff widdick is a good mech, try him if you haven't already.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Weather reports

I'm thinking about heading down to Deep Creek this weekend or next week. The tides look good for halibut, but I don't know the most accurate way to check the weather (wind) report from Anchorage. I looked at NOAA for Resurrection Bay and might be as good as I can get... but I'm sure if I can pinpoint where the weather is coming from (guess I need to look at a map) I can predict closer to what it will be in 2-3 days...

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by littleblackdog View Post
    I'm thinking about heading down to Deep Creek this weekend or next week. The tides look good for halibut, but I don't know the most accurate way to check the weather (wind) report from Anchorage. I looked at NOAA for Resurrection Bay and might be as good as I can get... but I'm sure if I can pinpoint where the weather is coming from (guess I need to look at a map) I can predict closer to what it will be in 2-3 days...

Any advice?
    Try this link, and check it often, it is updated twice a day.
    http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/pf.php?dir=...ile=FZAK51PAFC

PKZ141-041400-
    KACHEMAK BAY
    400 PM AKDT THU JUN 3 2010

.TONIGHT...NE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .FRI NIGHT...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT BECOMING NE 10 KT AFTER
    MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SAT...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SAT NIGHT...E WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SUN...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .MON...SE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .TUE...VARIABLE WIND LESS THAN 10 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

The trolling has very very spotty. Most of the fish I have caught or my friends have caught have been feeders and not spawners. If you can find biat and birds there might be kings around. Trolled for 7 hours on Sat and had 2 kings and 6 halibut. On Monday fished about the same number of hours and had one king, no halibut, 1 red, and 2 dollies. The red hit a silver spoon of all things. Saw only a few other boats with fish, but one had 5 kings.

Default Kenai River close to kings

There might be other threads addressing this. Brian, if so hit delete.

Kenai River closed to Kings

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/EONR/...m/FA/region.R2

http://www.adn.com/2010/06/03/130654...-saturday.html
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    The trolling has very very spotty. Most of the fish I have caught or my friends have caught have been feeders and not spawners. If you can find biat and birds there might be kings around. Trolled for 7 hours on Sat and had 2 kings and 6 halibut. On Monday fished about the same number of hours and had one king, no halibut, 1 red, and 2 dollies. The red hit a silver spoon of all things. Saw only a few other boats with fish, but one had 5 kings.
    Yeah, spotty is the best word for it. I've trolled for hours in one spot without a thing, moved a few miles and caught 3 in just a little over an hour and a half (see my other posts here). And the majority have been feeders. Though both of those 25's the other day were spawners and one had so many eggs in its belly that when I started to cut into it they almost exploded out. I have a feeling it might have been an Anchor king since we were only a few miles from the river mouth.

Thanks, Dave. I'll try to look up Cliff. I'm screwed if I don't get it fixed.

Default sporties

When the shut down the rivers (my guess is soon) will they shut down the salt for the nookies?

Seems that IF there is underescapement projections that all of us should help - and I don't mean just the sporties during the in-river runs either...what is good for the goose is good for the gander and once your goose is cooked you have to eat it - it won't be pickin grain no more.

Everyone should share in the conservation burden.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Everyone should share in the conservation burden.
    I agree to a certain degree, but saying that shutting down the saltwater fishery is "sharing in the burden" is not a totally valid statement. I'd say about 80% to 90% of the kings I've caught out there this spring have been feeders and they have no burden on the Kenai Peninsula freshwater return rates for this year, so limiting my ability to catch them would be ludicrous. Should we shut down the king fishing in Res Bay because the Kenai is suffering? I think the expansion of the "no fish" zone is a pretty good compromise, but I've caught plenty of feeders about a mile and 100 ft. from the Anchor River.

caught around 11 on wed trolling for 3-4hours. they were all too small. my buddies just cut out the eggs and threw em back in the water.

j/k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast