Thread: 375 Ruger Bullet failures

Default 375 Ruger Bullet failures

I recently witnessed a rather large black bear shot 3 times with a Ruger 375 using factory Hornady 270g (I think) interlocks. 1 Bullet hit the backbone and pelvis. There were bullet fragments everywhere through the wound channel. Another was a lung shot without pass through. This bullet was a perfect mushroom found in the hide. The last hit the front shoulder and the bullet and core were found separated on the hide and in the hide again.

The bullets were accurate, and the bear is dead. I did not like the grenade affect of the bullets though. Is this normal for this bullet?

Yes, it is normal.
    Tennessee

Default What range?

I've never had good luck with Interlocks and close range (high velocity) shots...

I shot a fox at 40' with a .308 Interlock.... no exit wound (thankfully in that case) and a total bullet failure.

Was this over bait? Short range at higher velocity may be a culprit. I basically quit using Interlocks for this reason.

My son used interlock 180 grain in his 30-06. Shot two caribou thru the heart from less then 50 yards. Caribou did not know the difference but the bullets shattered everywhere inside the animal. I'm not a big fan of interlocks and prefer 180 grain Grand Slam or Partition. Son now uses only Grand Slam for caribou, moose and black bear.

Years ago I laoded a lot of interlocks and had that happen a couple of times so swore off of them. Interestingly though I have had great luck with interBOND Horadays in 300WM lately.

I was at about 80 yards, not over bait. So a relatively close shot, and highish velocity out of the 375 ruger. The reloaded ammo we were going to use were Barnes TSX 270's, but there was a COL problem without time to properly fix and test the ammo. We did not trust it in the field so opted with factory ammo.

I think another bullet is in order as well, a bit tougher. Like the TSX or partitions.

Hornaday Interlocks and Remington Coreloks have a similar problem. Good bullets, but not great. Hey, they kill game, but lots of meat damage at high velocities (close range). Nosler Ballistic Tips had a similar problem, so they went to the Accubonds. I believe Remington has improved their corelokts, as well. If you want better performance, buy more expensive bullets (Nosler Partitions, etc).

Thumbs up 375 Ruger

I prefer the 260grain Accubond and the 300gr Horandy DGX Roundnose with Reloader 15 in my 375 Ruger AK.

Crazy thing is that Craig Boddington uses them for cape buffalo.

I had the same thing happen with the round nose 270 grain remington on an elk with the 375 h-h. Broadside lung shot no exit no large bones hit. I thought it was perfect for broadside elk bullet but definately no brown bear bullet LOL.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

That all sounds pretty normal and what I've come to expect form that ballistic level. I haven't taken anything with the 375 Ruger but have taken lots with the H&H and variants that produce 375 Ruger ballistics. I still say the bondeds, partition and A-frame bullets are better general duty than any cup and core at that energy level but I don't consider your experience to be a total bullet failure. Bullet vs heavy bones yield similar results with any bullet of that type. I think for big blacks and interior grizzlies that bullet is good enough. Also the 300 grain would slow down the bullet a bit and keep it together better for those types of shots and give better penetration. The fail to exit on the cross lung shot would not be my preference. I want two holes especially in a lung cavity. I find that too much expansion/lack of penetration an indication to move up to more bullet. Weight and structure!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I too agree at high velocities that bullet just won't hold together - that isn't to say it won't do the job though. For a lower velocity cartridge I think the Interlock would work much better - another benefit to me is I have great accuracy with the Interlock and they are affordable. Don't push 'em real fast and I think they would be fine.

The one thing you never read about with any of these bullets with poor performance is the guy pouring the powder in the case. You don't need to hot rod every round you load. Pour less powder makes a bunch of bullets work a bunch better. Before Woodleigh came out with bullets I could use for sheep hunters, I found that Winchester's bullets when you backed off of tipping the powder can worked real good for Weatherby users, and they sure bragged about the lower recoil when sighting in, and how accurate the loads were now.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Smile hahahaha

I think this goes straight back to the pick the right bullet for the job.
    The lighter interlocks and rem core locks and such will all do that. Especially bouncing around in a bear pelvis. Got to give a exeption to the nozzler though it is in its own category. Same as barnes too own category. I agree with 377pfa that interlocks are cheap and the are straight shooters. The factory hornady shoots good too.
    Instead of loading down my choice would be to use a heavier for caliber bullet. It will slow the bullet down a little or a lot and give better penetration and less premade hamburger.

That wasnt a ruger bullet failure. It was three hornady interlocks kicking some butt. Also Hornady makes solids for the ruger 375. Thats what I would have used for a bear. I mostly use my 375 ruger for everything now and handload barns tsx 270grn.

I used to hunt deer with a 105 grain speer round nose at 2400fps out of 243. Lights out every time with blood gushing pass throughs. Just like my 450 marlin. Makes a large pass thru wound channel with a small exit hole and has way less meat damage than any magnum from 7mm or 300 wm on up. Thats using the 350grain hornady interlock at 2200fps. The heavier bullet will still go thru the bone and such and penetrate at lower vel. because it keeps more of its weight and keeps on truckin. our trade off is alwas going to be more bullet drop and mabe a little less effective range.

But who cares? When you are belly crawling thru muskeg after the hugest deer you ever saw are you thinking about velocity? Or are you thinking about those cheap assd rem. core locks in your magazine that blew up the last time you used them?

Default Ditch the cup and core

Great discussion guys. We have talked a lot about the bullet performance and what to do on the next hunt. We decided to stick with the 270g for the ballistics and use a tougher bullet like the Barnes. We sorted out the COL problem and the gun shoots about an inch at 100 yards now. Plenty good.

I am sure this caliber would do well with a 300g bullet, but he 270g shoots well, and we are done messing with it.

The bottom line is, we were not happy with the factory ammo or the interlocks, even though they shot well. It sounds like the cup and core bullets are a bit of a risk when is comes to dangerous game, so why bother.

I will post the results of the gun's next kill, hopefully on a moose hunt we are planning on the Yukon this year.

Default interloks

Big Al is spot on. My son owns a 375 ruger and uses the interloks a lot. Killed a grizzly last fall, I believe he only pushes them to around 2400 fps.

I used to launch the 350gr .458 RN version out of my 458WM, they shot great and I reached the 2500fps mark with ease. I took a largish buck on Kodiak with one and that was the end of them for me, even at 210yds the bullet came all from together. The fragments of jacket and core were scattered all through the deer's chest cavity, with a large number of them on the near side between the skin and the ribs. I definately wouldn't recommend them for anything hard to kill or any cartridge producing any velocity.

Get that problem fixed with 270 TSXs.....they perform very well.

Second on the 270 grain tsx's. Shoot them in my .375 ultra mag!