Thread: Lenses for canon 7D

Default Lenses for canon 7D

I just recieved my canon 7D what would be a good lense for shooting waterfowl and wildlife. I am kind of new to the sceme of things so any input would be good.

I've recently acquired a 7D myself, and have another one coming my way the end of this week. The longest lens I have for this camera right now is the 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM, and I love it. I'm an old manual focus, manual everything, film guy, and I'm still leanring all this digital auto focus auto aperture auto everything post processing stuff, but this zoom seems to be incredibly sharp.

In the past, for Alaska wildlife, I always carried a 300 f2.8 L Canon over one shoulder, a Canon 500 f4.5 L over the other, and a Canon 35-105 around the neck. Each lens attached to a F1 with motor drive and a heavy Gitzo tripod in my hands. When I move up to a long tele this time, with this digital equipment, I'm not sure which long lens I'll buy. Probably either the 300 f2.8 or the 500 f4.

On the other hand, I've read good reviews about the Canon 100-400 L. You really might want to try to rent/borrow one of those first to try it out. These days photogs are using 1.4 tele-extenders with these lenses and seeing little loss of noticeable sharpness.

Amazing stuff!

Jim

The Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 "Bigma" is also pretty popular on the photo boards I cruise. Don't own one myself, though.

I have been using two lenses for birds and wildlife for three or four years. For closer ranges I use the EF 200mm f/2.8L USM II (a little over $700.00), and the EF 400mm f/5.6L USM (a little over $1,100). These lenses don't have IS, but with all the daylight we have in Alaska, I have never had any trouble using them. I have posted a lot of photos I have taken with those two lenses, and you can find them in this forum. I always prefer primes to zooms.
    --------
    HOWEVER: My recommendation would be the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM (for $, ask Camera Land in this forum, or B&H and Adorama, or Amazon). This way you can use it from closer range (for ducks at the local pond, for example), or a lot farther out for moose. For samples relating to this lens, look at the long shots taken and posted by Tull777 in this forum. This guy is an amazing photographer, and maybe he can chime in about his lenses.

Default Bump

I wonder what lens the OP ended with?

my dad just got converted to digital and bought a Canon 300 something for his t2i. He really likes it for wildlife.