Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tundra Trucks Part III

Default Tundra Trucks Part III

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-8476413c.html

Excerpt:

"..This time, they plan to spend a week trying to excavate the trucks. They will use heaters under a parachute canopy to thaw the ground around the trucks and then try to chip them out of the ice so they can jack them up, put sleds under the tires and tow them out, said Jacobson.
    The hunters are coming to the realization that there is a good chance they won't be able to drive the trucks out over the frozen tundra as they had originally planned, she said..."

...I'm thinkin' that those dude's have been dining on the most expensive 'bou in history....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I do believe they have paid a pretty steep price & learned their lesson.
    I wish them luck.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I do believe they have paid a pretty steep price & learned their lesson.
    I wish them luck.
    Agreed. I think we have about beat this one to death. I hope their plan works and they can get them out of there.

Personally I can't figure out why the DOT won't let them drive the vehicles out on wheels. Too much snow? I didn't think they got that much up there...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

From the pictures I've seen it looks like the trucks are up to their axles. They probably have ice and turf frozen around the axles which could cause more problems if they try to drive them without first thawing and cleaning them out.

Default I was Just

thinking of them & was going to post on them today for a update. Yea I think they for sure learned a lesson & I wish them all the best getting them out of there.

Wink

I don't think they, or others would ever try that again? Thankfully we can learn from the mistakes of others.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I hope they never get those trucks out as a remider to everyone to not be lazy.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up I'm to the point.....

now that I wish they are able to get the trucks out and be done with it for good. This whole incident has been a black eye to hunting in general and I'm ready for the press to move on. I'm sure these guys have learned their lesson and I wish them luck getting them out. And you guys are right...we've beat this dead horse enough I think...IMHO.

Good luck.

I'm gonna give those guys a great big pat on the back because they're still in there swinging. Doesn't take away from the initial stupidity, and a others have pointed out, they've learned there lesson. Good lesson for others, too.

But plugging away at a solution rather than throwing up their hands shows me lots of gumption.

They're gonna have my respect if they pull it off. If I was handy to them, I'd be there to help as I could.

Default Ideas to help?

With that much water showing in the picture I hope they bring a generator and a steam machine with them, the wand can be pushed under the truck to free the icy grip of the tundra. Without it I don't think they will have much luck heating the ground from above. Any other ideas out there?
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    now that I wish they are able to get the trucks out and be done with it for good. This whole incident has been a black eye to hunting in general and I'm ready for the press to move on. I'm sure these guys have learned their lesson and I wish them luck getting them out. And you guys are right...we've beat this dead horse enough I think...IMHO.

Good luck.

Well said.

Default amen

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    I don't think they, or others would ever try that again? Thankfully we can learn from the mistakes of others.
    I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes than my own any day. I've made plenty of my own. Thankfully this wasn't me this time.

As the saying goes......good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Still a lot more questions than answers. WAS IT ILLEGAL OR NOT??? They have been very careful to not ID the Perps or reveal penalties by any State Of Alaska Agency. F&W originally said they would not enforce their own regulation and BLM was contemplating the issue. How do the rest of you read the tea leaves, with regard to this incident setting a precedent and possibly allowing vehicular traffic to originate via the haul road. Others might not know that it is permissible for locals. Only non-locals have been under the impression it was illegal. Now I don't think anyone knows for sure. Thoughts??

It was absolutely illegal. The rule says locals can travel across the corridor just to get from one side to the other on a motorized vehicle, meaning a snowmobile or 4-wheeler. Being from Elmendorf isn't considered a local up there. Years ago you could take snowmobiles up there after the ground froze and you got snow cover. I went on many a trip up there around Galbreath Lake on sleds. They stopped this in 92 or 93. I have also walked the corridor many times. It isn't fun or something I would ever consider a good adventure, but you do what you have to if you want to hunt these areas.

As stupid as this was, the important thing now is they get these trucks out of there, regardless of what F&W or BLM does to them, which should be substantial. I think they got the idea of how upset the hunting community is with them in some earlier posts that blasted them, and rightfully so. Now, the need is to support the removal of these trucks, not for their sake, but for the sake of the tundra and hunter's perception by the public in general.

The tundra is very fragile. If you ever fly over it, you can see tracks left by the early explorers that look like they were left last week. It takes generations in some area's for it to recover, and to allow vehicular access off the Dalton would devestate it and probably shut down hunting up there altogether. The old adage applies here, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it..........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Come on how,how do you guys think it can really get done?That is one huge ice cube up there.I don't think it can be done now but do you?

Default Sure it can

Quote Originally Posted by TILT View Post
    Come on how,how do you guys think it can really get done?That is one huge ice cube up there.I don't think it can be done now but do you?
    Tilt,

I think it could be done with steam pipes, assuming they have the gear to do that. It's going to be a lot of hard work, but I'm with the rest of the guys on this. At least they're trying to git 'er done the best way they know how. Wish I could be there to assist.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

From the Fairbanks Daily News on the 22nd of Janaury...

http://newsminer.com/2007/01/22/4661/

"There was between 6 and 9 inches of snow on the ground in the area last week, which should be adequate snow cover to protect the tundra, she said. While the BLM doesn’t issue permits to travel over the tundra in the summer, the agency does permit overland moves in the winter, Jacobson said."

Maybe BLM admitting that snow coverage on the tundra would allow safe travel via snowmachines in the winter is the first step to allowing open use of them up there.

I hope the guys get their trucks out, if I had the resources, I'd lend a hand as well. However, I hope they end up having to pay hefty fines and have their vehicles confiscated perminantly. If they don't make a further example of these guys, there will be several others that will follow the same suit knowing that they can get away with it. Most of us have enough common sense to keep our tires on the roads, but there are too many idiots that will attempt to make the run out there to pick up their caribou, especially if it is deemed legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Agreed. I think we have about beat this one to death. I hope their plan works and they can get them out of there.

Personally I can't figure out why the DOT won't let them drive the vehicles out on wheels. Too much snow? I didn't think they got that much up there...

-Mike
    I don't think it's a matter of DOT or BLM allowing those guys to drive their trucks out as much as it's a matter of whether or not their trucks would be capable of being driven once freed from the ice that has them locked in.

To be honest I doubt the trucks will even run anymore. Look at it this way, at the minimum, the diffs are frozen in the ground. Looks like the tranny pan and oil pan are pretty close to be in the tundra also. When things freeze they expand. I know diff housings cant handle the pressure of ground freezing around them, let alone oil pans. I wouldnt be surprised one bit if they "drive train issues".

Pesronnally I wish they would throw the book at them, all there doing (feds and state) is setting a precedent.

Angry tundra trucks duh!!!!

first of all did these guys get them jacked up earlier as they were supposed to???? if not and even if it was a week after there lasey efforts to retrive, the ford would not drive any where much less out!!! what happens when a gear box sits in water?????? the water will displace the oil no matter what so now the frt and at least the rear diffs are full of water and as a result of that they are frozen and the CASES ARE SPLIT/BROKEN!!!!!! additionaly the c/v shaft driven ford (frt axel) the joints will be full of water and they will not rotate,as they are now frozen in there current place. SO THEY ARE NOT DRIVABLE!!!!! i have retrived boats(and autos) sunken in fresh and still water any where from a short time (3 hours) to a day and then on to more than 36 hours and there was no oil left in motors and no gas left in tanks,,any thing that was below water (oil gear lube gas p/s fluid ) is now been displaced by water. which brings the next issue of contamination.

if you dout me take your truck or any truck car or what ever and park it so the the frt or rear diff is in water and watch the oil slick come out the vent.....

retrival should be done with a track rig and a skid as to do no! more damage the tundra and leave even more egg on thoes of us who know the law(like these guys did!!!!) forget the insurance companys and factory warranty for repairs as well this was no accident!!!! and would not even rate a ford tough commercial it was jus good ol lazey and stupid so suck it up boys and get out the check book.

49 year resident majic101

yes this is getting old but what have you read that was true in our local papers???????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast