Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heed the warning!!!

Default Heed the warning!!!

My 13 YO grandson likes to shoot. I love taking him to the range.
    Yesterday I called him to see if he wanted to go. Silly me, of course. He asked if he could shoot the Walther 380 I showed him a while back. as a surprise I stopped by Fred Meyer and picked up a box of ammo.
    Now this gun has not been shot in some 20 plus years. I had 5 shells in a magazine so we set up a target at about 20 yards.
    The first shot was within a 5" circle. (the kid can shoot anything well )
    The second shot went PFFF. I hollered HOLDIT. I took the gun and looked it over. The bullet had not exited the barrel. A good lesson was had with no injury or damaged gun. I took a wooden dowel when I got home and tapped it back out. Now he knows if it sounds different STOP and check things out.
    Hope this helps others.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Good Story, Roland on the River:

My little grandson, (who,will be three, sometime this month) was helping me handload some 44 Mags. tonight. He was putting the primers in the primer arm. AND, getting them with the correct side up, too. That's after I corrected him for putting one in wrong.

You gotta watch kids real close, but it's worth it, when you see them learning.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Roland, Good reminder. Was that the "NEW" fresh ammo.......? or 20 year old ammo.....?

Default Near Miss

I had a family out on a sporting clays range I owned and I just happened to walk up on them at the right time.
    They had 3 pump 12 ga 870's and 1 20 ga 870. A youngster - maybe 12 - put 2 rounds in the magazine and pumped it - target was a strainght overhead coming at you presentation. He called for target and "click" - everyone laughed and accused him of not loading it. I watched him slip another ( 3rd round ) into the magazine and pump it again. I yelled just before he shot and stopped him.
    He had accidently grabbed one of the 12 ga and had 2/20ga shells in the barrel! With the target overhead it may have been possible to have the 20 ga shell center over the firing pin and WOW a disaster!
    I agree kids need to be watched - however this really applies to ANY and ALL novices that handdle guns - no matter what the age. I saw stuff on my range from older experienced shooters that made me cringe....

Default The hard way...

When I was a kid I was using my dad's 20 gauge wingmaster for squirrels back in WI and using some reloads from my dad's buddy. Well, in a fit of squirrel fever, I pointed the gun, pulled the trigger and heard a soft pfft and then the bb's bouncing off trees. Not thinking about it (I was ten or eleven) I racked another one in and shot....missed again and the squirrel ran off but I didn't shoot anymore that day (but would have, just no squirrels) as I was walking back to the house I looked at the gun and saw a two inch split about halfway down the top of the barrel. At that point I was more scared about what dad was gonna do than how close I was to losing my face, eyesight or life. In the end, it was a stuck wad in the barrel....all the bb's from the second shot went straight up in front of my face and somehow I didn't even notice.

My dad was big on safety, but until something actually happens...it's hard to drive it home to a kid what is going on. Glad the youngster could have that experience in a controlled environment with someone to explain how serious it is. Hopefully it will make one more aware and safe gun handler.

Default Many years ago

I was firsdt learning how to reload my own, and being both cautious and cheap ,I had loaded my 44 specials lite. While shooting these rounds at a friends range, one only popped the primer, and being a revolver, it was easy to check. sure enough the bullet only stopped in the barrel, so I pushed it out and kept a closer ear to the activity at hand . In the course of 50 odd rounds, 3 failed . I believe it was the best training I could have ever had .

Default Agl4now

Dave, that happened with the 20 year old stuff.
    After coming home and using a WOODEN dowel rod it came right out We took the new box of ammo and proceded to fire about 20+ rounds with no issues. Never use a metal rod or some other form to push out a bullet.

when i was young, growing up on my fathers ranch in idaho, i would always play with my dads guns.....i would dry fire them of course, pretending i was shooting at something....one day my dad caught me, and said well you be careful and make sure to check em first, cuz one day somethin bad mite happen, he also told me DO NOT DRY FIRE. well i didnt listen. so one day he puts a blank in "my favorite rifle"....when i pulled the trigger, BANG! scared me to death haha, funny thing is my grandpa did the same thing to my dad. worked like a charm though, since that day ive never picked up a gun without checking it.

Release Lake Trout

Default How the heck...

Quote Originally Posted by Crop Shop View Post
    Why would anyone purposely hand a kid junk?
    ... does such a comment relate?
    I know this man does not own, use, or allow others to use "junk".

Default Sugar coat?

You think he used his grandson to test ammunition? Ridiculous.
    BTW 20 years for properly stored ammo does not reduce it to "junk". I have shot ammo older than that w/o problems, and have shot new ammo which had duds. That's just how it goes down sometimes.

Newbies should mind their manners and not jump to conclusions.

Default You seem to be intent on flaming

Let me guess,you greedily purchased the balance of the aged lot and shot it way happily?

I suggest you work harder on your sugarcoating,as that was very weak from start to finish.
    Not a quality prized in these parts.

To answer your rash assumption; no, the vintage ammo I shot were Winchester brand .30.06 shells which I found in a friend's hunting cabin in the late 90's. I found them in a bag with a receipt which told me they had been purchased in the early 70s. Since the hunting bag containing my own ammunition didn't make it onto the airplane I flew in on, I used his old ammunition and got a moose with two of the rounds. They fired well.

Roland has been posting on this site for a very long time. I do not personally know him, but I teach the grandson he spoke of. He only speaks with great respect of his grandpa and the times they spend hunting and shooting together. I also know that Roland is an avid shooter and collector and that he knows his way around firearms as well as any man.

What do I know of you? Little, except that at least 3 of your few posts as a newcomer are incendiary. That speaks volumes. Anyway, I'd much rather "sugarcoat" than wrap posts in acid as you seem intent on doing.

Good day to you.

Personally Speaking......Crop Shop, your pretty full of yourself arent you? Do you know anything about firearms and ammunition? More than likely not, but, if so, then please give some relevant and credible experience. Furthermore, to jump to such conclusions about people who you have never met or even had the pleasure of communicating with via this wonderfully informative site says alot about you. Sayak and Roland are major contributors to the thousands people who seek information on this site, unlike yourself. Get a job, go for a drive, go golfing, i dont care......just find something productive/ contributional to society to keep you occupied other than making yourself look like an ass.

Release Lake Trout

Ignore this crap chop guy he just looking to show the real person he is.

Roland and sayak and hunt are great guy who advise is right on the point all the time. I quess with site like this we have to deal with thing like this guy. Away I love reading about little guy learnung how to shoot. Makes a grown man sit back and think about them days when his father was teaching him the rights and wrongs in a firearm. Them thing stick with a man his whole life and pasted down to son and daughter.

Thanks to Roland for making a post that was meant to remind folks that many aspects of shooting are unpredictable and dangerous. Also, Kudos to Roland for having interests in teaching young people to shoot. If all men devoted thier time to teach kids about shooting and guns, I dare say we would have a much happier and functional society. Quit sniping at Roland, follow his example and get out and teach a young person to shoot.

Just because ammo is 20 years old does not mean it is "bad" ammo. The FTF could have been caused by a number of things other than simply being 20 years old. There is no reason that Roland should have suspected the ammo to be "bad" because of its age.

Default Good Grief

Crop Shop:

Do you realize that in a short amount of time, you have insulted some of the most respected posters on this forum?
    You should be able to communicate your point in such a manner that it instructs and informs, instead of insulting. Try playing nicely instead of being a phallus-cephalic.

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

I figured facts would be a hill too steep for you to pull. Kudos for confusing a 380 pistole with an '06 rifle,despite using all your experience.
    Are you inferring a mid-80's (or older) Walther is a piece of junk? Are you trying to say any 380 is junk? What point exactly are you trying to make?

You'll never be able to ascend that slope either,so may as well quit trying in vain.
    Sweet. Another guy who looks at the world through his bellybutton. Have a nice life...I imagine if you talk in person like you do when you're hiding behind a keyboard it'll be rather short. Call it an added benefit that eases the suffering of those around you.

RE: Crop Shop:

Guys, i think you'll realize that you're falling victim to the oldest trick in the forum geek's handbook.... the role of the troll.

This is the entity that feeds on responses to rude and provocative comments that elicit emotional response.

Read all of his posts.....

This is a natural response to a phallically deficient individual who has no other recourse in their lives for entertainment than to provoke negative responses in a forum setting.

The best thing to do (for his own reccuperation) is to ignore said troll, and let him wallow in his own self pitty of lilliputian tool syndrome.

Default generous

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    except that at least 3 of your few posts are incendiary.
    Sayak, you are being generous in your description by a factor of four-fold, plus.

Where there's smoke,there's fire. Next we'll be reading about injuries inflicted upon the kid,due to rampant stupidity and the tone will change.

Funny how that works.
    True signs of a latent homo who wonders how long it will take to get thrown of the forum this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast