Thread: wind, smoke, hail, rain and bear baiting

Default wind, smoke, hail, rain and bear baiting

I sat on my bait last night after finding I got hit sometime between last monday night and saturday morning. The wifey and I stocked it up saturday. When I returned last night, no more hits. I hung out in the wind, smoke, hail and rain for a few hours until about 11. I decided to leave and after I got about a mile away from my stand the wind died down, the bugs came out, the smell of smoke went away and I could smell the country, you know, the fresh smell after a cool rain, perfect conditions I would think. I felt I should have still been on the stand but I had to work today and really didn't have time to go back. Here's my question. How much does this smoke and wind effect baiting? I would think it would really dissipate scent where as a nice calm cool night would be better. Also, between the time I got hit and last night the smoke and wind really rolled in. Is this smoke and wind effecting any of you guys that have been getting hit? Do bears not move much in the blustery weather like other game?

I dont know but i know this warm weather doesnt help, where my bait station is, the grass is all dieing cause its to dry here, so i would assume so but i dont know, im kinda disapointed on my bait station ive had only a few hits so far but nothing in a pattern and when i do get hit, they dont eat much food at all

From experience on my stands, the bears I hunt don't seem to move at all until the wind dies down. If it's blustery or swirling, they tend to wait it out. Same thing if it's raining. I believe since they rely on their sense of smell so heavily, swirling or strong winds and rain take thier advantage away. As for the smoke, it didn't seem to stop the bears from coming in to my buddies stand last week (once the wind died down). I guess that would depend on how close you are to the fire and how heavy the smoke is though.

Just my experience, but every bear is different. Hope it helps.

Shannon

Makes sense Shannon.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Perry i think the heat is the largest factor in it... we had 114 in the sun at the Yukon river camp last weekend.. and the bears would not start moving until late evening when the breeze cooled the beaches off...ya need to do an all niter or get a trail cam to see when critter is coming to you, and be there 2-3 hours before his first visit. but i know how you are on the spend... so look on line for some of those trail timers... they are about 15 bucks and have a trip wire to stop the clock
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This warm weather has made things SLOOOOOOOOOW. Really slow.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default cam

cabelas has the wildview trail cams on sale for 49 bucks right now. They are nothing fancy but i used one for 2 years and it took great pics. I dont use expensive ones anyway because the bears like to chew on them

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    cabelas has the wildview trail cams on sale for 49 bucks right now. They are nothing fancy but i used one for 2 years and it took great pics. I dont use expensive ones anyway because the bears like to chew on them
    I just bought one of those last week. I fiddled with it last night and it seems to work well. I'm putting it up tonight.

Thanks guys for the tips on the timers and cams, maybe next year. I'm heading up this afternoon and will sit for as long as I can stand it. Probably from about 6 to 1 or so. I bought a SPOT so I can let the MrsSnyd know how I'm doing. This weekend or next week will probably be the last hoorah for me if I don't get one tonight. The wife and I have a bunch of stuff planned for the rest of June, Gulkana, Chitina, etc. A guy can only do so much. So far this has been a great learning experience this year.

Good luck Snyd, & if you ever get this way I'll put the coffee on.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

PS- How'd you guys do Vince??

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Good luck Snyd, & if you ever get this way I'll put the coffee on.
    Thanks, you never know. We have some friends who just built down in Homer and would like us to visit. I'll let you know if we head that way.