Thread: Engine High Temp Alarm Guages

Default Engine High Temp Alarm Guages

Has anyone out there come across replacement analog or digital guages that can be set to sound an alarm when the engine reaches a predetermined temp? The reason I ask this is because I had raw water cooling pump sieze this past weekend. If i had been running the boat at the flybridge other than the house I may of not heard the bearing and belt go which could of resulted in a little more expensive fix. I know the outboard motors have a high temp alarm and an aray of others. My inboard LM318 Chrystlers only have a shutdown alarm. I believe that is a little to late. Thanks in advance.

350SD

If I wanted to have a high temp alarm on my engine I would use a 220*F sending unit that is used to turn on a light; replace the light with a buzzer. You may also want to add a “off” switch and a light that turns “on” when the switch is in the off position so you will know if the alarm is turn off.

There is a way to use your existing gage where you could select the alarm point, the problem is it’s complicated.

or just Google marine, temperture alarm.

Default Temp switch

Easy buy a tempature switch for what ever degrees you wish, normaly open type, thread it in, add a back up alarm type device and Bingo.
    I added a thread a while back with all the info and drawings.

Default opps here is the thread

Default Thanks

I considered adding that stuff before and will probably end up doing that. I had heard about Anolog guages with a dial on them and thought someone out there might have information on them. Plus the guage has a built in alarm. Pretty easy to just add a guage to the existing wiring. Adding wiring, warning light, buzzer and more sending units are a good Ideas, I was looking for an easier way.

Thanks again
    350SD

Default Easy ?

Not sure it could be any easier,
    1.Buy Temp switch & Backup alarm
    2.screw the temp switch into the block,
    3.short wire to the back up alarm + side,
    4.wire from backup alarm to fused battery connection,
    5.connect backup alarm negitive to ground.

Bingo done, wait for the temp switch to close on the rise of temp to 220 or what ever temp you purchase. add a kill switch, I didn't, I just unplug the fuse, but it has not gone off yet, yahoo! There are more high dollar ways for sure, I'm into $35 for audible alarm. But ok