Thread: Dungeness question

Default Dungeness question

What is the best bait? Whatever is cheap and available, or does it pay to have a herring hanging in the trap?

We seem to have a little better luck using some herring oil

Default Should be Fresh

You can use chopped up herring in a bait jar, salmon heads, chicken parts, turkey legs, anything that is fresh. I have tried the crab paste, uncle Mikes, and it did not work to well. Good Luck

Got a tip to use some Cat food (wet I imagine). Anyone done this and do you combine it with something or use it on its own (and how)?

Default canned catfood...

used a lot in shrimp pots, the cheaper and stinkier the better, the old "Puss n boots" is a favorite of a lot of people, they just puncture small holes in the can and put it in the bait shute. Most of us shrimpers just use pelletized shrimp bait...I get mine from Potbuilder he is on this forum a lot, great stuff! Bet it would work fine for crabs...

We tried two dungeness traps with hooligan and one trap with pellet shrimp bait, the hooligan traps had lots of good keepers in them and the shrimp pellet trap had nothing. This was on the same string, it sure sold me!

Default Cat food

Wet with gravy whatever is cheapest used it for the last 7 years in Puget Sound. Poke Holes thats it nothing else. tried crap bait, small rockfish, had to keep the first one and when they we .5 lbs it was gonna be bait..