Thread: Adn dlp?

Default Adn dlp?

I may have missed it, but how is this DLP and how is this different from the kid in Haines?

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/7054644

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/31/130199...ly-attack.html

Wink

Haven't you learned by now, after all the lates snafu's that fact bearing on a circumstance have nothing whatsoever to do with prosecution? I honestly thought everyone had that figured out by now. It is entirely based on the LEO's perception, social standing of the perp, DA's marching orders and location.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default The difference

Is one was a moose, the other a bear. I've been chased by a cow on my wheeler because I didn't see her calves bedded down next to the path. So I didn't feel that threatened. But I certainly could see how someone else not on a wheeler could be that threatened bya moose. I've seen way
    more moose charges than bear charges. Although I can see the guy in ER's perspective as well. My dumbs*** dog chased a brown bear out of my F-inlaws yard once and had it come back.....

Not knowing exactly what was said to the troopers in haines it's hard to say. IMHO, looks like one was a moose other a moose eater. Could be totally wrong though.

one was in season, one wasn't?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I would be surprised if we don't hear more about this one. I would guess that they are going to conduct an investigation into the shooting to determine if it was justifiable or not. They have to go through the paces such as salvaging the hide (or meat if it were a moose) whether it was a legal or illegal action. From the information provided, I would not consider this case DLP (nobody was in danger at the time of the shooting), however, I only know what was reported and we all know that there is almost certainly more to the story. It appears that it should have been ADF&G who would be the responsible party to determine if the bear should be considered a danger to humans and act on that rather than the homeowner making that determination when there was no immenant danger at the time.

Default a few years ago

a guy living on the hillside "DLP'd" a griz in his driveway. As I recall he shot in the azz 3 or 4 times, because it "had been hanging around for a while & he was tired of keeping his dogs tied on the deck". Kind of hard to prove DLP when all the shots enter the critter on its south side. It took a couple of weeks, but the homeowner ended up paying a $4000 fine.
    I always wondered in a case like this - would/could the homeowner lose his house (as well as his weapon) if the case turns out to be an illeagle kill? I can't see where shooting from a deck, porch or window would be all that different from shooting from a plane, boat or truck. Certainly gives you something to think about.
    Gary

Not saying this guy was innocent or guilty (good shoot imo) but the current dlp political climate certainly lends credence to going the S.S.S. route.

Edit: Don't reccomend the SSS route when not in the sticks...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    a guy living on the hillside "DLP'd" a griz in his driveway. As I recall he shot in the azz 3 or 4 times, because it "had been hanging around for a while & he was tired of keeping his dogs tied on the deck". Kind of hard to prove DLP when all the shots enter the critter on its south side. It took a couple of weeks, but the homeowner ended up paying a $4000 fine.
    I always wondered in a case like this - would/could the homeowner lose his house (as well as his weapon) if the case turns out to be an illeagle kill? I can't see where shooting from a deck, porch or window would be all that different from shooting from a plane, boat or truck. Certainly gives you something to think about.
    Gary
    I haven't brushed up on the letter of the law recently, but I do see a difference. A home is not a form of transportation or a direct tool to access the illegal activity. It would be a really big stretch to go after someone's home unless it was an RV they are living in and also using as a form of transportation.

Default like I said

was just "wondering". I agree it would be a stretch. But then again, I've seen what I'd call stretches before. I imagine it would depend on a lot of factors.
    Gary

Doesn't seem like there's much difference between the 2 situations besides being different species (thanks to whoever pointed that out ). In both cases, the person went back inside (at which point their life is not in danger, unless the bear/moose is trying to rip the door off) THEN went back outside and shot the animal. Doesn't quite meet the criteria of DLP.

Bummer that the guy had that bad experience -- I certainly wouldn't want to have been in his shoes. Like anchskier said, maybe there's more to this story. If not, I have a feeling I know how this one is going to turn out