Thread: kayak fishing

Default kayak fishing

anyone go kayak fishing out of whittier without water taxi so not too far out

I've paddled around close to the harbor and caught pollock, cod, herring, irish lords and other assorted fish. Because our group has small kids, we have motor boated out very close in to the harbor (less than 2 miles) and our group has caught halibut, rockfish and salmon in the area. The fish are never as consistently big nor do you catch as many but it can be done.

Only have been out several times but I have a 9 ft sit on top so its not very conducive to long trips, but I have caught fish!

When the silvers are running, its got to be a lot more productive I would think than from shore. And the shore fishermen certainly catch their share!

thanks I got a 14 foot w/s sot tarpon cant wait to try it out

If you have a lot of patience, we had a boat load of kids fishing shallow near whittier last week and as they were reeling in small rockfish, they peered into the water and saw three very large kings cruising below the boat so they are there.

Not sure the distance you want to cover but the first location to try is right by the ferry dock in front of the roundabaout where the restaurants are. You should see a bunch seagulls feeding off the fish waste and the herring that congregates to pick off the fish waste that is pumped out by the processor. Go out a little deeper, 100 to 250 ft (more if you like) and try bottom fishing there. I know folks who have caught halibut and decent rockfish in that area but its never as consistent as going out in the sound obviously.

I plan on trying the whittier thing soon from the kayak. Probably take two rods. One set up for vertical jigging for rockfish and halibut. Then another rod where I can troll behind me a spoon or rapala style lure as I move from place to place. Right now you have a shot at Kings and Chums, odds are a LOT lower than trying for silvers but who knows. For kings you want to be deeper in the water column (though the ones we saw were only 20 ft down max.) Chums were right on top (at least the ones we hooked plus the jumpers we saw closer to culross Island)

One of the first things that comes to mind is the low cost of the sport when compared to other forms of angling. For start to finish, you can buy new equipment including the kayak for as little as eight hundred dollars. You can usually find used kayaks much cheaper. Even if you choose to get a fully equipped kayak, the cost will be about fifteen hundred dollars. With party boat trips for a few days costing upwards of six hundred dollars, you can see that the savings from a few trips can get you going in the sport. Besides an inexpensive method of fishing, the health benefits are worth it even if you don't plan to fish.

finance jobs Switzerland
    short sale homes florida