Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shrimping warning

Default Shrimping warning

Just a heads up to those shrimping in PWS ... the commercial boys are out near Esther Rock for a Chum opening. Set my pots Sunday night, no boats in sight. Back Monday morning to find 50 bowpickers around my set. My buoy was nowhere to be found, I can only assume they sank it (I use weighted pots, 1200' of line and a small anchor, so it didn't float off).

On a related note, anybody have experience dragging for lost gear? What set up did you use?

Default Someone took two of mine also

Some one took a two pot string from me set in the same place thursday night, and I strongly suspect the same group. They may be rigging up for next years commercial shrimp pot fishery. " I HATE THIEVES "

Yeah don't set somewhere they drift if you want to keep your gear... Not everyone is as nice as potbuilder...

Announcements can be found here http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...t.php?dist=CDV
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

wow
    i'd railgun every commercial boat in site after finding out my gear was intentionally sank

Default b.s.

we set i string out at the head of passage canal and someone pulled our pots cleaned out the shrimp and re-dropped them, i know this because our rigging was set up different when it came up, we alaso had one set that had been hooked up and drug from about 600 ft of water to two hundred feet, by a dumb***** comemrcial guy that was camped out not too far away. we lost a pot on that string and the lines were tangled to sh*t.

Won't be long before sport shrimpers get tiny designated areas because of all the whining about stolen/lost/sunken gear.

Not saying it's right, but the commercial guys pretty much always get first-dibs, so if they are the issue, don't expect it to change. I'd find a new spot to shrimp.

this has happened to a myself and a freind when the bow pickers show up its a shame they dont have any class

Not trying to be the odd one but you have to remeber that the commercial guys feed their familys with the money they make fishing. they can only fish in certain areas. We are out thier because it's fun. god knows its not cheaper to go thier instead of the store And we can go all over the sound unlike them.
    I think we should be a little wiser and not set our pots where they are trying to put food on their table. Not saying it's right to cut bouys but they might not always have the time to pull your gear and move it during a time sensitive opener.
    I have shrimped the sound for some years and never lost a pot to a commercial guy cause I never set where they may be. Good idea to check the openers to know where and when they will be out.
    Better yet, Give pot builder a call and ask him for some advise. He's a commercial guy and a recreational shrimper. He would probaly have the best insight for all of us.

Yeap buyer beware - if you going to set a pot near where the Comm Fishin occurs - you best check the opener's before you go out.

Some of you guys forget we get to shrimp every day, they get to fish for 12+- hours at a time. Keep complaining and sooner or later, its the PU shrimpers that will get more restricted, not the comm boys.

Default There's an order

I talked to a F&G bio once about different fisheries. He said the order that they change/close fisheries is:

1)Sport fishing/Personal Use
    2)Commercial
    3)Subsistance

Check the openers and life will be happier.

Default Might Add this,

From my experience in commercial Fishing and all the extreme competitive nature of it, there is very little "cutting of buoys" or "any intentional sinking of gear" going on,
    Maybe it's different around the city but i don't think those guys are coming in to that area and ripping through sport gear with no regard for it. I've just never seen it in even the most intense money driven fisheries, it really doesn't happen like you might have read in the stories of lobstering on the east coast or something.
    More realistically, they are running a lot of gear and getting unintentionally tangled with your gear, then while hauling the lines are chafing yours off resulting in lost buoys with the gear still on the bottom,
    Just something to consider, thieving gear and pulling out a knife to cut someone's buoys off is so completely uncool that I think there are very few if any commercial guys (who make a living leaving gear in places and hoping it's all there upon return) that would even consider it. Most are really careful about trying to work around someone's gear and should be really good about retying gear they get tangled in.
    If you believe in it, it's considered "Ultimately Bad Karma" or however you want to put it to do anything like that.
    Might be different there but I doubt it.
    A tip might be that if you want to fish where the commercial boys are fishing build heavier gear than they use, yours will outlast the chafing and tangling, and they will move over to avoid loss. Chances are yours is way lighter than what they use (for those reasons) and so it breaks or chafes through first, (meaning heavier line and buoys that can take a beating)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    i'd railgun every commercial boat
    What does that mean?

You are a little off there boater.

It goes
    1. commercial
    2. Sport PU
    3. Subsistence

This is the order in which they would close if there was a biological reason. Since we are talking about two different fisheries here this does not apply.
    It would be the same if you went out and found a honey hole in the shipping lane or right in front of a cruise ship dock. Sure you can set pots there but don't expect the tugs or cruise ships to go out of their way to miss your little buoy or call you to inform you that your are in the way.

Default Well...

I can't remember everything. Thanks for clearing that up.

Either way, I'll stick with my first suggestion. Just find a new spot or don't shrimp during the openings.

Default Opener Link

So where is the Link for the opening dates...I looked for awhile but can't find them....big website......search didn't work.

Anyone with links that could post them would be appreciated (very much).

Scroll down 13 post and click on the provided link, after that it should be self explanitory!
    Mike

Default dragging for lost gear

We had a buoy go under on us last season. We rigged a line that was approximately 12' long (guessing here) with treble hooks tied to it. We strung that between the two downriggers (one on each side of the boat) and dropped that down around 100' or so. We were able to snag our buoy line and get the pot back. it's no easy task, and probably a fluke that we were able to get it back.

This whole "don't set your pots where the commercial openers are" is total BS. First, a check of the commercial opening announcements does indeed show that there was an opening in the Coghill district over the Memorial Day weekend. I've got no problem with that. And, I have no intention of running headlong into an actively worked area and dropping my pots amidst 50+ working boats. That would be foolish at best. But, the Coghill District is HUGE, including everything north of a line basically from Pigot Point, down to Culross and Perry, and back up to Squaw Bay.

So, how is a guy supposed to know where the fish, and therefore the fleet, is going to show up at any given time inside the district in question? If I make a set before I retire for the evening, and when I return in the morning there are 50 boats working the area, and no sign of my shrimp rig, I'd be a little torqued off.

The truth is, if I ever caught anybody messing with my gear, there would be photos, a report to Law Enforcement, and as much bad publicity as I could muster for the offender. And whether that person was a commercial fisherman, a trucker, or a bag boy at the local mini-mart wouldn't weigh one bit in my actions, or on my conscience. Having to make the most of a short opener to feed their family does not give someone license to break the law any more than a 30-minute guarantee gives a delivery boy a license to speed.

How 'bout this... We've all got our boat names/numbers on the buoys. And I'm never very far away from my pots. If my shrimp set looks like it's going to get in the way of your commercial gear, give me a call. I don't want to get tangled in your gear any more than you want to get tangled in mine. I'll run right over and move it. Honest. Or if you know you're going to be working a popular shrimping area, how 'bout a courtesy announcement the night before? It might not solve all the conflicts. But it can't hurt. Just remember, a little respect goes a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Isn't that a little much to expect? A courtesey anouncement?
    Heck I'd rather have a bagle and coffee in the morning, maybe a paper to go along with that.

It's extremely easy to just fish where the crowd isn't. Mike

[QUOTE=Rod in Wasilla;746012]This whole "don't set your pots where the commercial openers are" is total BS. First, a check of the commercial opening announcements does indeed show that there was an opening in the Coghill district over the Memorial Day weekend. I've got no problem with that. And, I have no intention of running headlong into an actively worked area and dropping my pots amidst 50+ working boats. That would be foolish at best. But, the Coghill District is HUGE, including everything north of a line basically from Pigot Point, down to Culross and Perry, and back up to Squaw Bay.

The longer you play in the sound the more familar you will get with where the commercial guys fish.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast