Thread: Cabin Water Well PUMP Instillation & under water wiring connections...?

Default Cabin Water Well PUMP Instillation & under water wiring connections...?

So how hard can it be.....? The pit-less is installed. I have a new 1/2 H.P. pump. It seems like the only skill would be the sealing of the under water electrical connections. I might just have the wiring & sealing done in Los Anchorage. Anyone have any advise. This is a New well that has never had a pump in it. And I have all of the measurements to static water & pit-less to the bottom, etc.

Relevant Information:

6" well casing well is 66' deep top of casing to bottom.

The Pit-less is 13' down from the top of the casing.

Static water level is 40' deep or 26' from the top of casing or 13' from Pit-less to static water level.

Pump is: MYERS model# 3NFL52-5 (230 Volt, 1/2 H.P. 3-wire, 1-phase, 5 GPM)

I could be wrong but it seems like the sealing of the under water electrical connections is the only hard part.

It's actually really easy. They should have included a water proof connector kit with the pump. If not I'm sure you can buy one (maybe not in Hope though..)

All you need is a butane lighter to melt the mastic and shrink the tubing over the wire connector....

Oh and make sure you get the wire that is rated for WELL PUMP service between the pump and the underground wire to the panel...it has a much more skookum insulation on it...to help prevent rubbing on the casing when you lower the pump from stripping off the insulation...

You didnt mention it but I'd recommend using 1" poly pipe for the well pump, along with a torque arrester for the pump.. using the poly pipe makes it ALOT easier to insert the pump into the well, weighs alot less, and is easier when you need to remove the pump in the future...also, dont forget to tie a stout line to the pump and run it up the well and tie it off to the well casing...in case the pump ever falls into the well....

Just out of curiosity, why is your pitless so deep? Is the frost depth that deep in Hope??

BTW, I'm not a professional but I've done this twice on my own...once to learn what NOT to do and a second time to get it right

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why is your pitless so deep? Is the frost depth that deep in Hope??

I grossly over build everything. Not only is the 1" copper waterline down 12' it has 4" of blue board insulation. Thanks for the help.....

Nothing to it. Any plumbing shop in Anchorage should have the butt connectors and heat shrink available in a package. It doesn't look like much, but I haven't had one go bad before the pump did.

I could mail you a set, I have them on the shelf in my store.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Wink

Butt splice's & heat shrink tubes (with hot melt glue inside) are the most common used now. You can use rubber splice tape then pvc electrical tape on the outside intead of shrink tubes, more piable than shrink tubes but more labor intensive (old school).
    You could have probably used a 7 gpm pump instead of a 5 gpm might have saved a couple of $.
    One more thing. Make sure you secure the submersible wire (& rope if used) to your drop pipe with good quality electrical tape every 10 to 20 ft. Makes it easier when it comes time to pull it again. Don't want it to sag and hang your pump up (A common diy mistake).

Default well,well,welll

HOOKED MY OWN WELL PUMP UP VIA INFORMATION FOUND ON THE INTERNET. WASN'T SO DIFFICULT AS I THOUGHT. WELL IS 45' WITH CLAY BOTTOM. STATIC LINE IS 15 FEET. GPM IS 18-20. USING 1/2 H.P. 4 INCH GOULDS. I'VE TRIED, AND YOU CAN'T PUMP IT DRY. WELDED 30"X 3 FOOT HIGH CULVERT PIPE TO 6" WELL CASING AND PUT PLYWOOD FLOOR HALFWAY DOWN INSIDE TO COIL 100 FOOT 3/4 GARDEN HOSE AND ACCESSORIES TO KEEP BEARS,(VARMINTS) FROM CHEWING THE HOSE ETC. TOPPED IT OFF WITH A LOCKED HINGED LID AND A ORNAMENTAL WIND MILL. NOW I CAN TELL WHICH WAY THE WIND IS BLOWING FROM INSIDE THE CABIN. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1276783465
    Attached Images Attached Images