Thread: recommend flatwater in AK

Default recommend flatwater in AK

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I will be staying in Anchorage through August, and I am looking for places to take my 8 yr old son and my gf canoeing in my Old Town Guide 147. Specifically, I'm looking for any place that we could go canoe camping for 1-2 nights. I'm not adverse to a little bit of fast water; however I have no whitewater experience, and my gf has little canoe experience at all, although I used to teach canoeing merit badge and am pretty confident in my canoe.

What are some good places that we could paddle for a day or two?

Thanks.

Default Welcome

Welcome to the site.

Near Anchorage - Eklutna Lake is a good one - Paddle (13 miles?) across the lake and camp on the far side - weather can turn on you quick up there and watch the winds. Good trip though - wait for the fire to settle down.

Nancy Lake Canoe Trails is a good one a couple hours from Anchorage. We did the loop in our Guide 147 this Saturday and our girls enjoyed it.

The Swan Lake canoe trails is another good one not too far away down on the Kenai.

-hiker

In the Interior I like Tangle Lakes, Summit Lake and Clearwater River (some current but no whitewater).

Bit of a ride from Anchorage but pretty country.

East fork of moose river. It's about a 2 hour drive from anchorage, you drive right up to the launch, the portage between the 1st and 2nd lake is just a beaver ****, and no portage to the last lake. Nice camping spots on the last lake and great rainbow fishing.

If you want to explore some more and don't mind portaging, the Kenai Canoe Trails are outstanding. Pick up this book.

Thanks for your suggestions! I think I forgot to mention that I did Nancy Lake last summer with my girlfirend; we are thinking of going again, but only the easier part, lol. Do they sell that book at the REI in Anchorage? When you say Moose River, are you referring to Moose Creek up around Trapper's Creek/Amber Lake area, or another locale?

Default Moose river on the Kenai

One of the favorite trips here on the Kenai canoe trails, is the west entrance thru several lakes to Swan lake and then down the Moose river to the confluence of the Kenai river.
    This is a good trip for 2 or 3 nights or more,and the trip has mostly short portages of less than a 1/3 of a mile with the last one from Swan to the Moose river being a little over 1/2 mile.
    the moose river paddle is about 8 hours of paddling for the average paddler. many people will camp along the moose river in an area that has some red salmon. its a little bluff overlooking the river and you can see the salmon swiming around below.
    then paddling out the last day for about 5 hours or so..
    pickup is at the sterling hwy bridge.
    we do a shuttle service for many folks wanting to do this trip.
    you leave your car at our secure parking area at our campground and then we take you out to the west or east entrance , ( East entrance is shorter route but has not fish in the 4 lakes to Swan,, swan has fishing though)
    then when you get to the moose river,you call us from your cell phone,or the Mosquito bar and we pick you up and bring you back to our place,where we offer free hot showers at the end of your trip.
    the shuttle price is 55 dollars to take you the 23 miles to the trail head, and the pickup at moose river is included.. that is for up to 4 people and 2 canoes,so its a great deal..
    bring your own canoes, or rent from us.
    Old town or scott royalex canoes weigh about 58 lbs and cost 52.50 per 24 hour period, so a three day two night rental is 105 for a light weight canoe.
    thanks
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

That sounds pretty reasonable. The local guys here, in Tampa, are charging $32 to carry my canoe 10 miles and pick me up 4 hours later. (I've taken to just paddling down and upstream and forgoing the service.) I'm emailing your weblink to my gf. Thanks.

The local guys here, in Tampa, are charging $32 to carry my canoe 10 miles and pick me up 4 hours later. (I've taken to just paddling down and upstream and forgoing the service.) I'm emailing your weblink to my gf. Thanks. you leave your car at our secure parking area at our campground and then we take you out to the west or east entrance , ( East entrance is shorter route but has not fish in the 4 lakes to Swan,, swan has fishing though)then when you get to the moose river,you call us from your cell phone,or the Mosquito bar and we pick you up and bring you back to our place,where we offer free hot showers at the end of your trip.