Thread: Help me make my father-in-law's year? Fishing Mat-Su

Default Help me make my father-in-law's year? Fishing Mat-Su

My father-in-law is arriving here tomorrow evening and will stay through late Monday. I'd like to take him bank fishing since we can't find a charter on such short notice. I'm a new resident (less than a year) and don't really know where to take him to catch some fish.

He's had double knee replacement surgery a couple years ago, so preferably a walk-in of a mile or less. He also would like to go where it's not overly crowded. I live in Palmer now, so somewhere within a 2-3 hour drive would be great.

Thanks in advance and a beer to anybody that can help me make this Vet's year.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakAaron View Post
    My father-in-law is arriving here tomorrow evening and will stay through late Monday. I'd like to take him bank fishing since we can't find a charter on such short notice. I'm a new resident (less than a year) and don't really know where to take him to catch some fish.

He's had double knee replacement surgery a couple years ago, so preferably a walk-in of a mile or less. He also would like to go where it's not overly crowded. I live in Palmer now, so somewhere within a 2-3 hour drive would be great.

Thanks in advance and a beer to anybody that can help me make this Vet's year.
    Aaron,

So what are telling us is you want someplace right along side the road that has superb fishing, is close to Palmer, and a scant amount of pressure. Sadly, I don't think that even exists and I want it too....

But with that said, I will give it a shot. I think with just two of you that you could find a charter. You may want to re-think that as a charter might be the best spot for him with bum knees. The Kenai might be really fun for him too; I wouln't rule that out at all. It's really not that far of a drive really. If you are absolutely not leaving the valley, I think you're only legitimate salmon options are the Little Su and Deshka. There are a number of charters that operate out of there and since the run is just starting I would be that one of them could get you on for a half day or full day. I have had family go to fish4salmon.com and were very happy.

Also, there is king salmon fishing from the shore if that is what you have to do from Ship Creek in Anchorage, Eklutna, and the Little Su right here in the valley. The Little Su is significantly less busy than Ship and much cleaner too as it doesn't have the inlet goo that people get stuck in. But it is probably a little early to be seriously fishing the Little Su for kings up at the State Recreation Site (Burma). I don't have very good things to say about Eklutna, but it does have one good merrit: it is close to your house, and some people do catch fish there at times.

If you are into lakes, the valley has tons of them. Finger Lake has nice dock for him to sit on and fish as do others. Lake Loise could have very good lake trout fishing right from shore right now and has some good public access. And while the lake fishing is not as exciting as fishing for kings, there is a good chance of at least pulling in something.

I hope you guys have great trip and I hope this helps. Have a good one

Many thanks T.R.! That is a great deal of info and exactly what I was looking for. He'll be thrilled just to get out there and get a hook wet. He's been looking forward to this trip for almost a year now.

Thanks again!
    -A

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Aaron,

But with that said, I will give it a shot. I think with just two of you that you could find a charter. You may want to re-think that as a charter might be the best spot for him with bum knees. The Kenai might be really fun for him too; I wouln't rule that out at all. It's really not that far of a drive really. If you are absolutely not leaving the valley, I think you're only legitimate salmon options are the Little Su and Deshka. There are a number of charters that operate out of there and since the run is just starting I would be that one of them could get you on for a half day or full day. I have had family go to fish4salmon.com and were very happy.

Also, there is king salmon fishing from the shore if that is what you have to do from Ship Creek in Anchorage, Eklutna, and the Little Su right here in the valley. The Little Su is significantly less busy than Ship and much cleaner too as it doesn't have the inlet goo that people get stuck in. But it is probably a little early to be seriously fishing the Little Su for kings up at the State Recreation Site (Burma). I don't have very good things to say about Eklutna, but it does have one good merrit: it is close to your house, and some people do catch fish there at times.

If you are into lakes, the valley has tons of them. Finger Lake has nice dock for him to sit on and fish as do others. Lake Loise could have very good lake trout fishing right from shore right now and has some good public access. And while the lake fishing is not as exciting as fishing for kings, there is a good chance of at least pulling in something.

I hope you guys have great trip and I hope this helps. Have a good one

Default Coupla other thoughts

The Mat Valley lakes should be smoking for trout right now. The Kepler Bradley complex right there in Palmer is pretty famous for good trout fishing, is road accessable and I think you can even rent a canoe for five bucks or so.

Also, just spent a day on Nancy Lake and rooked a bunch of pike right off of the shoreline.

Awesome, thanks! That sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jrt34 View Post
    The Mat Valley lakes should be smoking for trout right now. The Kepler Bradley complex right there in Palmer is pretty famous for good trout fishing, is road accessable and I think you can even rent a canoe for five bucks or so.

Also, just spent a day on Nancy Lake and rooked a bunch of pike right off of the shoreline.

If you are looking to drive 2 to 3 hours you should give Scott Sager a call at Drifting on the Fly. See what he has available and for what river.

The lakes have been awesome in the Valley. As well as the Parks Hwy streams have been producing nice rainbows. If you can get a charter Deshka could be an option as well if you want to chase some kings.

Matsu lakes are doing really well for good fishers. I'd be glad to help.

Mitch

Huge trout, sz 12 hook in the lip, no net, good leader.

All the lakes in the Nancy Lake Canoe trail have pike in them. Call
    Tippecanoe

www.paddlealaska.com
    Nancy Lake Recreational Area
    Willow, AK 99688
    (907) 495-6688

They have canoes ready at all the entry lakes, you just get the key and go to the lake. I have a service connected disability as well and I have no problems here. The fishing is getting better and better.

I am looking for more wheelchair accessible spots, thank you for the info.

Mitch

Default A Big Thank You!

I'd like to thank everybody who replied here and in PM. We did some bank fishing at Knik Lake and a couple of the lakes here in Palmer. We caught some trout, watched the wild life, talked to a few fascinating people, and enjoyed time near the water without being over-crowded. We both had a great time.

I've convinced him to fly up next summer and do some chartered trips. He's written down names and numbers given to us here and is already looking forward to next year.

Thanks again!