Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you find a .45-70 this weekend?

Smile Did you find a .45-70 this weekend?

Loading my black bear into the WiggyVan, I leaned my .45-70 against a tree on Snug Harbor Road, Kenai. Drove off without it...

Bonehead move on my part, but PLEASE, if you picked it up, give me a call. I've got alot of time with that rifle.

Yeah, it's nice, but in your hands it is a STOLEN rifle. If you ever get checked with it, you will be treated as a criminal.

Please call me or the Troopers. I'll give you a sizeable reward if that's what it takes to get it back. Priceless in my hands, but STOLEN in yours.

Do the right thing. I have faith that there are still some good fellas out there.

I'm devastated.

Taylor
    (907) 952-4616
    Last edited by LuJon; 06-10-2010 at 18:04. Reason: turn your frown upsidedown

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmmm 45/70?

didn't know they shot FOB's maybe we should tie some to it... so you can see it laying there hope you get her back .... good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I hate that you lost your rifle but its not stolen if someone finds it and keeps it. If you left it and reported it stolen then you are the Criminal and I'm sure you reported it lost as you are honest. If I found it I would turn it in for sure as its the right thing to do but not the law. I know it won't replace the old gun but your NRA insurance will send you money towards a new one with a copy of the police report. Hope you do get it back

Default Ouch.

Sorry man. I remember that rifle from your goat hunt, it's a beauty.

Did you go back looking for it?

i know people that have stubled across rifles leaned against trees form 20 30 years ago! yours might be the next one if you dont go back and check that tree.. if its not some shiny chome jobber, i doulbt anyone noticed it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I hate that you lost your rifle but its not stolen if someone finds it and keeps it. If you left it and reported it stolen then you are the Criminal and I'm sure you reported it lost as you are honest. If I found it I would turn it in for sure as its the right thing to do but not the law. I know it won't replace the old gun but your NRA insurance will send you money towards a new one with a copy of the police report. Hope you do get it back
    In what world do we live in where it is acceptable to keep that which does not belong to you?

I would expect that regular calls to the troopers would lead you back to your rifle. At least it would if I had found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Where exactly are you getting your facts Amigo?

AS 11.46.160. Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property.

(a) A person commits theft of lost or mislaid property if the person obtains property of another knowing that the property was lost, mislaid, or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient and the person fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner with intent to deprive the owner of the property.

(b) As used in this section "reasonable measures" includes notifying the identified owner or a peace officer.

If someone finds Marc's rifle and keeps it without making a reasonable effort to return it (like reporting the find to the troopers), he or she most certainly IS a thief...

Chris

Good research double tap.
    Must have been what happened to the cooler of beer that I mislaid in my campsite over the weekend.

Marc, I can check the pawn shops in Muldoon and ER this week. I know what she looks like.

Sorry to hear about that Marc I did the same thing with my duty carry knife Sunday across Cook Inlet hope you get your rifle back, atleast with mine I know a person will never find it and I just might get back across there one of these days and will check that waypoint on my GPS!

"Yeah, it's nice, but in your hands it is a STOLEN rifle. If you ever get checked with it, you will be treated as a criminal."

And you will be "Checked" questioned, whatever, when you try to return it.
    And with the way the law is written its best to avoid the hassles and acusations and just walk on by or do the next guy a favor and pitch it in the water.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Karma

I don't know you well enough to say Karma's a Beoch, but you know- Sometimes Karma is well--- Karma

Default That sucks...

Boy, that sucks. I hope someone finds it and returns it to you. There are some honest folks out there.

Tim

obtains property of another knowing that the property was lost, mislaid

How would a person know. Lots of nice high dollar gulf clubs out on the course that were thrown away am I to take each to the cop shop.Lujon in no world I live is it acceptable but on the flip side if your find a dollar on the street you don't need to spend ten of your own trying to find out if it was lost or thrown away.

On another side if a gang banger finds the gun and shoots someone is Marc now responsible for not properly secureing a firearm. Like I said its a damm shame its lost and I hope Marc finds it or a good person turns it in but if they don't it does not make them a crook.

Anyone need a very nice Ping putter with what I assume still has all its good putts left in it.

Unhappy

Trooper stated it is a crime to find the rifle and not turn it in. It's not "finders-keepers" with firearms. He further stated that if that rifle was discovered by its number being traced to my claim, in any way other than the finder turning it in, with no time constraint, it is considered criminal. Pawn shops and gun shops have to keep those records.

I will be checking. You KNOW I will...

Yes, I went directly back, so I arrived there about 5 hours after leaving it. Really, I expected to find it as it was. But someone picked it up between the hours of midnight and 4:40 am.

The bear was FOB'd, Vince. You don't DARE go into my bait without a canon for fear of the fearless brown bears that don't exist on the Kenai.

Taylor

I wonder if it cuts both ways?

It is "stolen" because it was carelessly left behind....would you then be responsible for reckless endangerment should it be used in a crime...or found by a child?

Not to be a jerk, but I'm pretty sure if I found an expensive, well-cared for rifle leaning against a tree by the road I would be fairly certain the rifle-fairy did not leave it there especially for me.

Contrary to what so many kids (and apparently adults) have been taught, when you find a thing of value it is not automatically finders-keepers. Rationally, yes, if you find a dime or a dollar bill on the ground and you did not actually see somebody drop it you may as well keep it. Hopefully, we are all blessed with common sense. However, if you find a suitcase of cash you can bet it belongs to somebody else, and keeping it would still be stealing.

That rifle still belongs to Marc Taylor regardless of who found it or has it in their possession now. It's not only "right" to try and find the owner, it's also happens to be required by law.

Marc, did you go back and look for it? I drove through there a few hours ago and will be returning north in a few days (but might make a trip to do some hiking with the kids if the weather is nice). If it is even worth it, shoot me a PM with some directions and I might be able to look for it for ya...

Default Where exactly are you getting your facts Amigo?

From the land of Wrangell
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default Loss rifle

Marc, sorry to hear. Good offer from HUNTAK. I was going to offer the same. I live in Soldotna but willing to go look. Sounds unreasonable someone would find it during the hours you stated. Although stranger things have happened. If you PM me Ill go

Marc, my FIL is going through there in a few hours, CALL ME!! PM inbound...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast