Thread: Blueing

Default Blueing

I have a model 12 remington hex barrel .22 and someone said that they could clean it up for me several years ago they used navel jelley stripped it. Now I just want a plinker not anything pretty but does anyone do blueing on the cheap I don't want to spend more than it is worth but I think it could use something better than raw it was a good shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy747 View Post
    I have a model 12 remington hex barrel .22 and someone said that they could clean it up for me several years ago they used navel jelley stripped it. Now I just want a plinker not anything pretty but does anyone do blueing on the cheap I don't want to spend more than it is worth but I think it could use something better than raw it was a good shooter.
    With some sanding blocks, 600 grade metal sandpaper, and a bluing kit from Birchwood Casey available at Sportsman's Warehouse, you can do it yourself for not much time and money. Or take it to WWG or Alaska Custom Firearms (assuming you are near Anchorage). Most larger gun stores will sell bottles of "cold blue" products. It is an easy home project and comes out nice if you follow the instructions.

Just pay WWG to blue it. It'll be MUCH nicer than any cold blue job. You definately get what you pay for in this kind of work. A 30.00 cold blue kit will give you a 30.00 looking blue job.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Just a barrel? Matte blasted and blued? $50

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Just a barrel? Matte blasted and blued? $50
    Yah, but a Model 12 with a nice octagon barrel? Polishing it should be easy. He should sand it with a nice square sanding block with the 600 grit sand paper and THEN have you blue it!

Do you all do hot dulite bluing, by the way or something else?

Hot blue, Brownells stuff