Thread: Quality Flies

Default Quality Flies

Seems like the flies I purchase anymore end up falling apart as soon as they hit the water. Was wondering where you get your good quality flies from. Sportsmans' seem to have a a good selection. Of course Cabelas is an option too.

Thanks
    Nate

World Wide Angler has a pretty good selection, and I haven't had much problems with them falling apart. There is always AlaskaFlyFishingGoods also.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Most if not all of the local shops sell flies from overseas! I think all of the better shops have employees or local tyers creating regional or specialty flies that do hold up better! Shops just can't buy materials as cheap as tied flies from the Far East. That being said, I think the local haunts have better quality than Cabelas or Sportsmans!

Default Tie 'em yourself!

The smaller local fly shops should have more locally tied flies that are better quality, but I'll bet even they are purchasing many of the most popular patterns from major wholesalers to save money. As for Cabela's and Sportsman's, I'd be surprised if they have anything but the mass produced variety.

Anyone who's ever tied flies knows it's a tough proposition to make any money doing it. I'd be lucky to manage minimum wage on a good day and materials would have to come out of that! The durability of home tied flies is usually better because we tend to take a few extra turns of thread here and there while the commercial tiers have everything down to the bare minimum to get the fly tied as quickly as possible.

My flies aren't always as pretty as store bought, but they do catch fish and hold-up quite well. I think the only way to guarantee quality is to tie them yourself.

Tight turns are m uch more important then more thread.

If you're having problems with store bought....try glue, it will help....some, if you can use it without ruining the fly all together.

Ask where the flies in question are sourced. Tell the shop owner what has happened to your flies, see if they are willing to replace the defective goods.

Some reliable sources are Riverborn, Idylwilde, Solitude, Spirit River, and Montana Fly Co.

The Cheap Flies at sportsmans and cabelas fall apart.

I've been rolling my own since 1998 though...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

akpm, you aint smoking them too are ya LOL college boys jeesh

Bigcox hit the nail on the head. Brad and the guys at the Juneau based shop, www.Alaskaflyfishinggoods.com have got it going on. They sell the best flies I have ever bought by far. Awesome website, products, and customer service. They get my vote for #1 place to buy flies hands down.

On that website, be sure to click "Flyfishing Resources" up top, then read the how to articles and newsletters. There is some fantastic information to be found in doing so.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/Table/Newsletters/

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks for the info. I will check out all the recommendations. Not sure how much time I have for tying my own although I could understand more heart and effort would be put into something I made versus a bulk product like I pick up at Sportsmans.

The local shops used to buy from local tiers but sadly not much any longer. My family used to tie over 25,000 flies per year for several of the local shops but as stated earlier, it's hard to even buy the materials (quality materials) for what they sell flies in the box stores for these days. I don't know what brand of hooks most of the cheaper flies are tied on, but I do know they have a tendency to break at the bend. I'm talking with grayling. Not large fish that are being "horsed".

Default flies

do your own that way you can only kick your self it it don't work

leave the TV alone an try

When it comes to flies, you definitely get what you pay for. Look for cheap, and the price isn't the only thing cheap.

mt view still does, or atleast did up till recently buy from local tyers.....

Mossy's Fly Shop (used to be McAfee's) is starting to build up a nice fly selection. Run over and check out what he has.

As everyone has mentioned before, nothing is going to beat a fly you tie on your own. That being said, if you want to actually have good quality flies, don't go the cheap route. The hooks suck and I have lost many of fish to bad hooks!

I just got my shipment from Alaskaflyfishinggoods and they look great. They even threw in a free one

Talking Cheap flies

I first must say I tie my own, that way I control the type of hook the quality of thread and total ownership of the workmanship. That way any fish caught is that much more satisfying! But these folks are all right! Remember something else about buying local and NOT over the internet you actually get to SEE the product and choose the best for yourself whether it materials to tie your own or finished flies. But pick up some head cement while you’re there and give your flies a little taste and that will also help keep them from unraveling! For flies in the Valley you got to go see Mike at 3rivers he will help you out!

Post Roll your own!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Tight turns are much more important then more thread.
    I do tight turns and more thread...

The BEST thing about tying your own is that you can specifically alter the variation of the fly to best fit the scenario. This is where things get fun
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~