Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blond and Furry comin' home with me

Smile Blond and Furry comin' home with me

Got the family out for Mem camping trip and did a bit-o-glassing when I could. Saw some griz, 'bou, ptarmigan, white lone wolf, fox, and more. Everyone caught some greyling in the creek. Tons and tons of sunshine.....perfect weekend. My son and I waited out a marble-sized hail storm under a tarp at 4800 feet.

My wife spotted the griz first and 45 minutes later the shot presented and I took it at 150-200 yards with a homemade 180 gr .300 RUM through the heart......suprisingly he ran about 80-100 yards with no ticker.

I had a good time skinning him and prepping the hide by campfire and lantern until 0430. Took the femur bones for fish bonkers....kind of a novelty I've been doing for a few years. I used my havalong piranta knife and did the entire hide with one blade; the face turning I did with a different blade.

His hide was tremendous. Blong and long....no rubs, long sharp claws, good sized noggin, and good looking teeth. I think he's pretty fresh out of the den; was skinny with no fat on his body; tons of muscle though - me and my buddy estimated him at 450-500 lbs.

Here comes another taxi bill.

I love AK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great job

What a great weekend adventure and successful hunt.
    What are your plans with the hide--rug or mount--sure is a pretty coloration. Any hide or skull size yet or estimates?

Default Getting a rug made

I wish I could afford a full mount for this boar and have the space for him in my man-cave, but I don't. Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Animal Artistry does outstanding/amazing work and will be doing my rug. I'll get him sealed tomorrow at ADF&G. Size is maybe 8', skull is maybe 23" or so.....we'll see. Right now he's salted and frozen.

Default Nice Going

That is going to look great no matter how you get it done. Great color.
    Congrats on the good trip.

Nice color, Congratulations.

Thumbs up

Good Bear. I like the idea of putting the bones to good use too.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    I wish I could afford a full mount for this boar and have the space for him in my man-cave, but I don't. Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Animal Artistry does outstanding/amazing work and will be doing my rug. I'll get him sealed tomorrow at ADF&G. Size is maybe 8', skull is maybe 23" or so.....we'll see. Right now he's salted and frozen.

My musk ox and griz are both out with Dave @ Lone Wolf. I love his work, he did an amazing job on my moose.

Man I love the color on your bear, good job!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

That's a beauty - congrats!

Thumbs up Sweet!

Nice Bear - love the color - congrats!

typically they'll be really skinny up till late june. fresh outa the den they aren't as skinny as they still have winter fat, they burn all that off chasing sows and foraging in the spring months. hide quality can be great into july even, all depends on the bear.
    if his teeth are clean you know he's been out for a little while at least.
    the muscles fresh outa the den are pretty soft and spongy, after they've been out a while they harden up and get back into shape...
    havalon ....gotta love them! congrats on a beauty of a bear!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default right on...

nice job man. congrats. should have been outta his hole for a good while though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    His hide was tremendous. Blong and long....no rubs, long sharp claws, good sized noggin, and good looking teeth. I think he's pretty fresh out of the den; was skinny with no fat on his body; tons of muscle though - me and my buddy estimated him at 450-500 lbs.

Here comes another taxi bill.

I love AK.
    Thanks for posting. Though it certainly does not matter if you are happy with the animal, there is a pretty large area where the guard hairs have been shed.
    Sounds like you had an enjoyable experience.
    Thanks for posting
    Joe (Ak)

Default outta the hole...

Yea, he may have been outta the hole for a while; shows what I know about bears....probably jack squat. Anyway, he's gorgeous and at Chief's place already.

Teeth were pretty pearly clean, no fat over the meat, and the muscles seemed pretty toned.....I'm still learnin'.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I love AK!

Default It's a great bear no matter what Joe says

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Though it certainly does not matter if you are happy with the animal, there is a pretty large area where the guard hairs have been shed.

Joe (Ak)
    What's that all about? The guy shot a great bear, had a wonderful time, and is happy as can be....why would you want to urinate in his cheerios?

Great bear, Congrats! Can't beat the color on that bad boy thats for sure!!!

257wby,
    I think wantj43 was just trying to help explain to CastBlast signs to indicate how long a bear has been out. Same with brwnbr.

No bubbles no troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    What's that all about? The guy shot a great bear, had a wonderful time, and is happy as can be....why would you want to urinate in his cheerios?
    Joe was simply correcting the OP, and the OP has shown he is open to learning more about bears...Don't see anyone whizzing in the Wheaties.....

Nice bear, good story, excellent exchange of info on all sides.....

....Can't see real well in the pics, but it seems to be a nice, even rub.....<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default 257

I didn't see it that way honestly. It was a solid contribution about hide evaluation from a man that knows AK bears.

I too noticed the gaurd hairs missing. It's a beautiful animal for sure and good job.

We should be honest in evaluating bears, sheep, and goats. Expecially guides, their clients depend on it.

As a hunter I like to know what others think of my trophies. Those taxidermy bills are expensive and if thats your main objective getting a top quality animal is very important.

As a forum, your gonna get critical evaluation with the atta boys.

Thats a fine trophy bear with great color but it is missing some gaurd hair.

C&B,
    Congrats on a really nice bear!

About the femurs for fish bonkers...how do you get the marrow out? or, do you just let it dry inside the bone?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default marrow

I tried the same thing and the fat in the marrow went rancid. The shaft of the femur also cracked on mine (large brownie). I even soaked em in white gas. I haven't given up completly, I may drill a large hole to access the medularly cavity and extract the marrow.

Thumbs up

Congrats cast and blast, good looking bear and definitly something to be pround of.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast