Thread: Poor Man's Custom Rifle

Default Poor Man's Custom Rifle

Well I finally shot my new custom rifle. Its been patiently waiting in the gun safe for the past 3 months. Between my daughter being born around the same time it came back from the gunsmith and an addition to the house. I finally made time. It is a Remington 700 ADL that started life as a 30-06. It is now my very own custom rifle. I went with the 338-06 AI, with a 22" Adams and Bennett barrel, had it Parkerized, and topped it with a leupold VX-II 2-7x33. The stock is a little beat up, so I think it will get a new look when the weather warms up. I'm into it under $800, that includes rifle, gunsmith, scope, new Redding dies, brass, and bullets. I gathered up 200 + pieces of 30-06 R-P brass, annealed it all, sized, primed and all that good stuff. The first batch I loaded up 22 rounds of some old 180 grain bullets to break in the barrel. Today I took it out with some 250 gr Hornady round nose and some 200 gr speer. I'm still fireforming brass so I haven't chronographed any yet, but sighted in 1" high at 100yds I was consistently putting the smack down on Boone and Crockett class boulders at estimated ranges out to 350 yds. It was good practice and a good time.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Here are a couple pictures

Default One more

338-06 235.jpg

My 338-06 AI

Real curious to see what kind of groups you will get with the adama and Bennett barrel.

I have an Adams and bennett on my 358 Norma, it shoots better than I can.

That is good to hear I havelooked at them but shied away some guys supposedly had bad results, I might pick one up and make something

I know a few other guys who have used them with good results. They seem to shoot plenty good enough for hunting accuracy. My 358 Norma shoots a little under an inch with 250 gr Hornadys. Minute of deer and elk.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I know a few other guys who have used them with good results. They seem to shoot plenty good enough for hunting accuracy. My 358 Norma shoots a little under an inch with 250 gr Hornadys. Minute of deer and elk.
    I've had the same experience with my Adams and Bennet barrel, also in .358 Norma. It shoots so good I see no reason to have spent three times as much on a barrel.

Congrats on your new rifle.

Default Got no complaints with A&B

Mine's a .35 Whelen barrel from Midway. I believe it was 'about' $70 by the time it was delivered, contoured, threaded and short chambered for a '98. It looked a bit rough to me when I got it, but figured to see what it'd do before I pitched it in the dumpster. Glad I did. More than acceptable accuracy from the thing.
    Most of what I hear on the downside comes from folks expecting Krieger quality in a bargain barrel, and would whine if they got hung with a new rope, anyhow!
    I had the '98, got a Bell & Carlson stock from another rifle that I restocked, bought a used Timney trigger, drilled and tapped it myself, and welded on a new bolt handle. Blasted the thing for a finish, and a gunsmith threw it in the tank with a batch he had going, no charge if I helped him set up and clean up, he even leaned over my shoulder and let me use his reamer and headspace gauges. Came in under $250 cash out of pocket for the whole rig. Yeah, the stock, trigger, glass and rings and bases had value, but they were dross from other projects that were kicking around being generally useless at the time. I suppose that my time is worth something, but if it weren't for the project, I'd have spent the time in front of the tube waitin' fer bedtime. Only other pursuit that's worth as much effort is chasin' and catchin' Mrs. Walton from time to time.................

Darreld,
    I think the A&B barrel cost is some where in the $80-$$90 range now. My gunsmith only charged me $180 for the barrel, the chamber work, and parkerizing. pretty good I thought for a good shooting huntin rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Real curious to see what kind of groups you will get with the adama and Bennett barrel.

Have a truck gun in .243 made from one those barrels ... No complaints. I could have paid a lot more and gotten nothing in return.

"Most of what I hear on the downside comes from folks expecting Krieger quality in a bargain barrel, and would whine if they got hung with a new rope"
    That about says it.