Thread: Memorial Day Moment

Default Memorial Day Moment

My wife Joyce and I were driving back into Anchorage from our cabin up in Willow. Her grandson, Chevi, had gone up with us to help split and stack next winter's firewood. We were well into the city and headed home when a funky old Ford pick-up pulled up on our left. I glanced over and noticed the two young men in the truck. They weren't playing any loud music or laughing loud either. They were just sitting there, as perhaps they had sat together many other times, in very different situations, going wherever they were going.
    Judging from their haircuts and deep tans, I knew they were military and had the feeling, after having helped a large number of just returned military people when I worked at Great Northern Guns, that they weren't really all the way home yet. Rolling down my window, I got the attention of the man on the passenger side. I just said, "Excuse me, are you men on active service?" The guy looked at me through his sunglasses for a moment and replied, "Yes sir, we are. "
    I have to tell you, a lump formed in my throat on this sacred day and I said as well I could, "God Bless you boys and thank you." He smiled a little and said, "Thank you, sir" in a way that meant he knew I was sincere and appreciated my brief words. I just hope that the two of them were home for good now, but if not, I pray they come home safe and sound, just as my father and uncles from both sides of my family happily all came home a long time ago.
    I hope you all have had a good weekend and will appreciate those who truly made it possible.

Love,

Warren

Bravo and Well Done!

Thanks WJ,

I see today where the Chicago Bulls are looking at Lebron James as an investment that could net them 2.7 Billion in the next 6 years. We are a sick society when we can afford that kind of attention to a basketball player yet in this very town The U.S. Post Office forgot to lower their flag to half staff in honor of one of our own who gave his life for our country a few weeks ago. A one legged Viet Nam vet had to do it for them!

Thank you Warren for giving those two boys hope in knowing that they are the real heros!

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I glanced over and noticed the two young men in the truck. They weren't playing any loud music or laughing loud either. They were just sitting there, as perhaps they had sat together many other times, in very different situations, going wherever they were going.
    Well said. Very cool. Things like that do give us older folks just a bit of hope for our young folks futures.